Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

No team that has had to postpone a fixture due to a covid case has lost its following game. Not even Newcastle.  Someone hold Villa's beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Any chance of this game also being postponed?

Will depend on the latest round of testing, but almost certainly not. Given they haven't been mixing over the last 10 days even a number of positive tests wouldn't mean the whole squad has to isolate, so the game would go ahead.

6 hours ago, turvontour said:

16/1 is outrageous value. 

Its really not. Even at 50/1 it wouldn't be. I'm sorry but recovering from covid is a long process for many and our entire first team tested positive. We will have had almost no training, with fatigued players (fatigue is one of the symptoms most covid patients suffer with) and we are playing away to Man City.

If this game goes ahead, I expect a heavy loss, although it won't be an embarrassing scoreline given how tired Man City have looked lately, and I think they will rest players.

This is as nailed on a home win as you are likely to see this season.

3-0 to them. Anything below that would be a miracle due to our covid situation. 

Take the hit, move on, and hope we are in better shape when we play Newcastle. Although I expect lethargic performances and a few bad results for a while to come, given the severity of this outbreak.

By March, I expect us to pick up again. The next few games, however, are going to be very tough indeed. 

Edited by One For The Road
  • Sad 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Nine players tested positive from a training group of around twenty five - it's possible that two of those were Philogene-Bidace and Chukwuemeka. Of the nine, the likelihood is that maybe four will be completely asymptomatic, and given the age group, general health and care available to the others, the chances are we're looking at two or three that have actually been ill.

The missed training will be a problem and we might lack a little sharpness, but I'd be expecting the majority of our first team squad to have no real difficulties and for us to be missing a couple of players from our regular first team squad when the team is announced.

It's not ideal, but I don't think we'll be completely wiped out by Covid - that doesn't mean we won't be completely wiped out by Citeh anyway, they have a habit of doing that.

Tbh, for us to have a chance at Man City, we would have to be full strength and on top form. Then they would need to have an off day.

Any varient on the above and its always going to be tough but the covid situation makes this game unwinnable in my opinion.  Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it on this occasion.

5 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Tbh, for us to have a chance at Man City, we would have to be full strength and on top form. Then they would need to have an off day.

Any varient on the above and its always going to be tough but the covid situation makes this game unwinnable in my opinion.  Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it on this occasion.

I agree with all of that except the part that to beat them they would have to have an off day. Pre-Covid if we turn up to full potential we win against anybody regardless of their own form

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I agree with all of that except the part that to beat them they would have to have an off day. Pre-Covid if we turn up to full potential we win against anybody regardless of their own form

That's not entirely true though is it. Who do you think we beat that didn't have an off day or have several key players out?

A full strength Man City on form would beat a full strength Villa on form without question. We are still building. They have spent billions.

Probably 2-1 Man. City.

Our record at Etihad is generally beyond woeful. We were awful there even before their takeover.

Man. City really struggling to score these days bar that excellent first half at Chelsea. They've only scored once at home to West Brom and Brighton in last 4 weeks.

Get the feeling it will be a similar game to last one in Manchester, we'll be in it and create chances but small details will decide this and of course the big unknown is how good will our fitness levels be. Even if there's no lingering impact from covid, as a group we've barely trained in last two weeks so you suspect that will hit us in last 30 minutes.

Hoping they don't start Mahrez as he always is one we struggle to contain, ripped us to bits at VP last season when they were on a different planet to us that day. Lucky we only conceded 6 so shows how far we've come in 12 months.

Edited by VillaChris

If our players have been asymptomatic then I believe the delay in games might be beneficial. Only the lack of training could be a hindrance.

Fulham looked decent the other whereas Spurs lethargic and tired. Depends on the Covid business, if our players haven't been as ill as the norm and recovered quickly I think we'll turn them over.

We need to shock them for the first 20 minutes and just go for the jugular.

Bit of a free hit this one in my opinion. Obviously want to go out and win it, but not knowing the state of player fitness and without training it is a huge ask. Rather this game than a game that ‘on paper’ we would normally be favourites for. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Bit of a free hit this one in my opinion. Obviously want to go out and win it, but not knowing the state of player fitness and without training it is a huge ask. Rather this game than a game that ‘on paper’ we would normally be favourites for. 

Completely agree with this. Then be fit and up to speed for Newcastle a week today.