Man United v Aston Villa : Pre-Match Thread

darrenm

As shown by the ludicrous penalty decision at VP last year, they don’t even have to be at home to get the officials on their side. Still pisses me off that cheat Fernandez standing on Konsa and VAR just watched it and waved it on... 

Just had a quick read through on a well known United forum and looks like on the whole they've been very complimentary towards us and expect to be in for a tough game.

Really interesting to read about how much they fear Grealish (we know he's great but nice to see him getting recognition from other team's fans too).

Saying all of the above they sound a bit more smug today!

Great to see the progression we're making and really the pressure is on United a lot more than us tonight.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

One thing I do know: Dean Smith will have a plan. He's an infinitely superior manager to OGS, who is probably trying to be another Alex Ferguson - not the smart approach in 2021. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I just hope without the crowd it’s less of an issue, it’s certainly not as bad as in Fergie’s day but the bias is still real.

Absolutely. 

Few things wind me up once a season is finished but gross unfairness and blatant favouritism still does.

We have such a rubbish record against Man Ure, but so did Spurs up to a few years ago and now regularly they beat them (not saying we're as good as Spurs, but we're progressing into a decent team). It really seems to be a monkey on our back, 3 wins in the PL era against them, we've been rubbish over the last decade but even then we have beaten Arse, Spurs, Cit£h, Ch£ls£a, Liverpool at least once in that time period, just not them. It's annoying.

Mings to come back in for Hause and I would go Barkley in for Traore (but he might decide to have Barkley as a bench option). 

We got a decent point up there last season, but I'd really love to beat this lot. All the media are talking about is them and not us, hate the publicity they get. Jack still being linked despite the fact that they couldn't afford him, it really would be nice to do these but given how dangerous one or two of their players are and how much the officials seem to favour them I'd certainly take a point. Hopefully the extra days rest will give us a bit more energy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I would be worried because I think a lot of fans are acting quite arrogant towards this game, have seen posts in other threads of putting 2 or 3 past them. Think we need to be careful

I think a lot of people see our team and theirs and can't help but feel we're currently on a pretty even keel. So all things being equal there's as much chance of us putting 3 past them as there is of them doing the same to us. If we score early we seem to then weather a storm before the other team attack, commit players forward and we get another 1 or 2. Games at the moment seem to be highly variable because it greatly depends on who manages to get the first goal. Without fans there it's more like a training match so can be quite technical and tactics come into it more.

35 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Absolutely. 

Few things wind me up once a season is finished but gross unfairness and blatant favouritism still does.

There is still a conscious or unconscious bias in decisions in the Premier League, I actually feel VAR has only made it worse.

• Like 2

Win or lose today I expect us to play well but the biggest thing for me with this team is, that I look forward to every game regardless of the opposition and not dreading and being fearful about it like I was for God knows how long.UTV

• Like 3

I've seen this Barkley in for Traore lark bandied about. Doesn't that mean then, moving El Ghazi wide right ( where he never looks comfortable ) and Grealish wide left. That's a lot of upheaval to make, to a winning team. If we are fit and came though Chelsea unscathed, we go again with the same 11. Bear in mind also, United move the ball pretty quickly through midfield. Ross's work out of the possession isn't stellar either.

40 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I would be worried because I think a lot of fans are acting quite arrogant towards this game, have seen posts in other threads of putting 2 or 3 past them. Think we need to be careful

I'm glad the fans aren't playing the game so.