Man United v Aston Villa : Pre-Match Thread

darrenm

Don't want any of this inevitable "reality check" nonsense if we lose. As long as we give it a good go what will be will be. However, no reason why we can't go there and win. Just do what we've been doing to other teams. No fear and full focus on defensive duties. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think that is the XI we will see, and I think we have a very good chance.

I picked this team on page 5 of the thread and still think it’s our best team right now.  El G on the right will be important in helping Cash against Rashford.

Still quite confident and think we’ll win tonight. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think that is the XI we will see, and I think we have a very good chance.

I don't agree with it. To get Barkley back in you are making 2 positional changes with El Ghazi in particular very ineffective on the right. Every player in the squad should be held to the same standards and nobody that started against Chelsea has lost that starting berth, barring fatigue. Sends out the wrong message too. " Hey you've been playing brillant but im going to put this fella back in because he's more high profile " I've always been of the belief, you have the jersey until you aren't performing or taking your chance. Be harsh on anyone to get dropped now.

• Like 1

Just now, ferguson1 said:

I picked this team on page 5 of the thread and still think it’s our best team right now.  El G on the right will be important in helping Cash against Rashford.

Still quite confident and think we’ll win tonight. 

El Ghazi has never played well for us on the right. He can't beat players down the by line. And on the right, if he comes back inside and it's on his left and he's really clumsy then. On the left, cutting back on this strongest side, that's his thing. 

9 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

El Ghazi has never played well for us on the right. He can't beat players down the by line. And on the right, if he comes back inside and it's on his left and he's really clumsy then. On the left, cutting back on this strongest side, that's his thing. 

Actually in last season's match he started on fire and was destroying that Williams kid they had at left back that day but pulled up injured after 15 minutes. Trez came on and then did o.k (how long is he actually out for?)

I simply can't see Barkley starting. If you discount the Brighton game which he lasted just a minute of he actually hasn't played a game in 8 weeks so you don't tend to throw players back in to high intensity game if they've been out that long unless it's an exception like Grealish.

Makes more sense to me to bring him on as sub with half hour left and then start him v Liverpool in the cup.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I don't agree with it. To get Barkley back in you are making 2 positional changes with El Ghazi in particular very ineffective on the right. Every player in the squad should be held to the same standards and nobody that started against Chelsea has lost that starting berth, barring fatigue. Sends out the wrong message too. " Hey you've been playing brillant but im going to put this fella back in because he's more high profile " I've always been of the belief, you have the jersey until you aren't performing or taking your chance. Be harsh on anyone to get dropped now.

Barkley is probably our second best player, at least going forward. If he's fit, he has to play. If that means moving or dropping El Ghazi then so be it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Barkley is probably our second best player, at least going forward. If he's fit, he has to play. If that means moving or dropping El Ghazi then so be it

El Ghazi has 5 goals mate in a couple of games.

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd take a point if offered but I'm optimistic we'll make a game of this either way. We've got a genuine chance of winning this.

Basically this.

I feel exactly the same with this game as I did against Chelsea. Gut feeling is a loss (I predicted 2-1 against Chelsea FWIW) but I’m confident we’ll make a game of it and certainly have a decent chance of getting a result. 

• Like 1