Transgenderism

Chindie

@icouldtelltheworld

Thanks for your post on 19/11 - Just got around to reading it now.  You bring up interesting points. I learnt today that violence against trans people means that their life expectancy is 35 in the US. Yes, 35 - Thats medieval.

It's a demonstrable fact that men who wish to sexually assault women don't dress up as women and enter their bathrooms to do it. But it is absolutely true that men kill transgender people. My opinion is that we should deal with that issue.
The bathroom argument is a noisy distraction.

JKR's arguments are very selfish. Trans folks have different issues and stigmas - that doesn't make feminine equality any less important - it's just a different issue. It's hard to understand why she's misunderstood this so much.

On as the comments that @mjmooney shared from his daughter. Murder isn't the only thing that causes death amongst the trans community. Suicide especially amongst teens if rife. 

It is society's duty to protect our most vulnerable other wise what are we? The majority of trans folks understand or feel that they are trans from an early age. What if it were you? Or your own child? 35 years of life expectancy?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I have always liked his acting, my hope is that Umbrella Academy embraces this. 

Varya was always pretty androgynous to be fair, don't see how it doesn't work. 

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I have always liked his acting, my hope is that Umbrella Academy embraces this. 

23 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Varya was always pretty androgynous to be fair, don't see how it doesn't work. 

I've not watched the show, would you expect the idea to be for him to continue to play an androgynous female character or for the writers to adjust the character to be male?

The ruling yesterday feels short sighted. It's sad that one person feels they made a mistake but I daresay that is outweighed by those that truly feel they made the right choice.

As for Elliott Page - good on him. To go from being outted at a young age to being able to reveal himself as trans and be accepted wholeheartedly is great progress. 

• Like 2

This is one of those debates where it always feels safer to just say nothing, but here goes.

I think there are some arguments from the TERFs that might have some merit - especially women's sport, since trans women often have unusual physical advantages even after hormone therapy.

But mostly the TERF stuff just comes across as bullying, and accusing people of potential crimes they haven't actually committed but *might* commit if allowed anywhere near a "safe space". It's as unfair as the "all men are rapists" brand of feminism.

On the other hand, I think a lot of the language that has emerged - the pronoun obsession, stuff like "people who menstruate", and even using "trans" for "transgender" kind of get on my nerves. But it's not a big deal for me. I don't know why people get so worked up about it. Let people do what they want to their own bodies.

Anyway, a couple of songs to lighten the mood...

Edited by KentVillan

1 hour ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

As a final counter point, trans people are evidently at a greater risk of both serious violence and suicide, as are LGBT people more generally. My view on this is that it is patriarchy, heteronormativity and the still prevalant aggressive masculinity are the reasons behind this.

I beleive I read on the Government or ONS website that (the conclusion you make) is contradicted by the data. I'll see if I can find it, but I recall that a huge chunk of the perpetrators of the violence were partners of the victims (domestic violence), which to me tends to suggest that the picture is actually a bit different. The things you mention clearly exist and clearly are a problem, but perhaps there are other even worse problems behind the violence and suicides, if the data is to be believed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I beleive I read on the Government or ONS website that (the conclusion you make) is contradicted by the data. I'll see if I can find it, but I recall that a huge chunk of the perpetrators of the violence were partners of the victims (domestic violence), which to me tends to suggest that the picture is actually a bit different. The things you mention clearly exist and clearly are a problem, but perhaps there are other even worse problems behind the violence and suicides, if the data is to be believed?

Think we are in agreement but maybe interpreting the issue a little differently (if that makes any sense?) My personal view is that the vast majority of domestic violence is rooted in agressive masculinity. Obviously females perpetrate domestic violence too, but male violence against women and children is a serious problem all over the world and a leading cause of preventable death in younger women and girls. I'm sure that risk translates over to contexts where men are in relationships or sexually involved with trans women (who probably face the added risk of their partner's internalised transphobia).

Â