Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not confident, going 2-0 to them with Ings on the scoresheet

I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed so I think that is a healthy approach to this game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed so I think that is a healthy approach to this game.

Yeah I've had that kind of feeling with the Liverpool and Leicester games too, not worried about a tonking or anything would rather see us play well especially after the Leeds game 

Southampton are a good side, we've had a great start but will drop off, i won't be disappointed in losing today but I will be interested in the performance, we have to link up with Watkins better, the midfield needs to be more of a unit, trez or traore getting involved more that kind of thing, if we tick all of those boxes but still lose because they're a better team then that's still where we are at the moment 

• Like 1

I think we need to put the Leeds game behind us, we need to go out and win and keep the point incoming.

What we do not need is to start a losing run and get into a cycle of a loss streak that's tough to break out from as we found out last season. Let go out there today and show them that the Leeds game was a one here and there game turned upside down for us and that were better than that.

They are to good a bunch of players to start on a run of losses and the determination, Love and drive to move forward as a club a d together should be the very thing that brings regular points this season.

We need to go out there and get at them, offer them little space, none to be fair and controlled that game. I hope I'm right that our players will want to go out there and show that they are worth a fight for a top spot this season, they can do it if they set there minds to it. I felt with the Leeds game that we did underestimate them alot, if we dont against Southampton then we could go home with all three points.

3-1 to Villa, Watkins, McGinn, Grealish.

Agree Southampton are a good side but they're hardly lighting the league on fire. I think it'll be a close game between two even sides, whoever is the more clinical will probably edge it.

Ings will get a lot of attention but Southampton have quality across the pitch, so it's not quite as simple as keeping Ings quiet. Same goes for Villa, I think even if Southampton do a job on Grealish we still have other quality players like Barkley who can create chances.

I'll play it safe and predict a 1-1 draw, a loss would be a missed opportunity against a team who may end up being a rival in the league table.

Would be nice to see us take a more measured approach to this game and not start going toe to toe and end to end , just invite them out and hit them with some clinical play. We don't have to win every game , just be competitive and controlled. 

2-2 

I wonder if we will continue with playing 4-2-3-1, that change worked well against Liverpool, but we normally play more 4-3-3 with just one holding midfielder. I guess we have adjusted it to make Barkley play more further forward. Against Leeds it looked like he played more like a midfielder. Will be interesting to see how we line up. I think 4-3-3 gives us the best balance with Luiz being the holding midfielder. I hope Berkley can play to the left in the mid 3 without us being to vulnerable defensively, he wil need to do his defensive duties. With two holding midfielders in Luiz and McGinn we are more defensively solid, but it hinders McGinn from going forward the way I like.

We don't become a bad side overnight, hopefully the likes of Barkley and others come into the game 100% fit. As long as we stay competitive and route out the silly defensive errors from the Leeds match, we can not only get a result, but win.