Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

Tough game and I can't remember the last time I saw us beat them, I would be happy with a point against a dangerous Southampton team.

Christ this is true. What a sad state of affairs. I know two very chippy Southampton fans too. Tough game but feel we are a match for anyone if we play well now. 

If we play well being the operative word. Big game for Mings, Konsa. Ings does not need a lot of space to be deadly. 

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

Tough game and I can't remember the last time I saw us beat them, I would be happy with a point against a dangerous Southampton team.

I think it was the 2-3 when we had 21% possession and two 3 shots. Delph scored his first goal  for us I think. Kozak and Gabby too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

Christ this is true. What a sad state of affairs. I know two very chippy Southampton fans too. Tough game but feel we are a match for anyone if we play well now. 

If we play well being the operative word. Big game for Mings, Konsa. Ings does not need a lot of space to be deadly. 

I think their pace is a big worry....particularly if Walcott is in the mix too.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think their pace is a big worry....particularly if Walcott is in the mix too.

Walcott, I'm not worried about him. We nullified Harvey Barnes against Leicester so we can handle a bit of pace. 

15 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Superb. I really hope we get them to VP in the future 

That would be awesome, best wait for the end of the pandemic but I'd chip in on here if we could organise together via VT. 

• Like 1

The last thing we need right now is two losses in a row.We have to start off looking for the win but if it looks to iffy then we need to go for the draw.I hope DS picks the team with something like that in mind although I must admit I dont remember Ds having a plan B in any previous game TBH

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

The last thing we need right now is two losses in a row.We have to start off looking for the win but if it looks to iffy then we need to go for the draw.I hope DS picks the team with something like that in mind although I must admit I dont remember Ds having a plan B in any previous game TBH

And what about take off Trezeguet, bring on Traore? What do you think that is?

😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

And what about take off Trezeguet, bring on Traore? What do you think that is?

😀

It worked well last match! Traore comes on at 66 mins when we’re 0-1 down. Leeds make it 0-2 a minute later and win 0-3! 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I think Smith maybe only has two modes. a) everything is going swimmingly and we win or b) everything is going badly and we lose. 

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I think Smith maybe only has two modes. a) everything is going swimmingly and we win or b) everything is going badly and we lose. 

I'm sure near every club has fans that make similar comments about their managers after a loss

The extra couple of days rest might do us good, Leeds ran the legs off us Friday, barkley looked knackered but that game might do him good, he needs to get fully match sharp cos he hasn't had quite the game time he'd like. I'm going for a 2-1 villa win, i just feel we're much more solid now and the Leeds game we were a bit short on fitness 2nd half, saying that Leeds will do that to every team they play. 

Back to winning ways Sunday is the plan, let's get another run going! UTV

• Like 1

On 26/10/2020 at 09:20, The Fun Factory said:

Wow one defeat and it has got to this already?! I am still basking in the 4 wins. 

High scoring draw. 2-2. 

I know, I don’t mean to be dreary but I tend to be as pessimistic as possible when it comes to Villa to avoid further disappointment. Hope I’m wrong and we can maintain our good start but I can’t see it. 

6 hours ago, Rossi said:

The extra couple of days rest might do us good, Leeds ran the legs off us Friday, barkley looked knackered but that game might do him good, he needs to get fully match sharp cos he hasn't had quite the game time he'd like. I'm going for a 2-1 villa win, i just feel we're much more solid now and the Leeds game we were a bit short on fitness 2nd half, saying that Leeds will do that to every team they play. 

Back to winning ways Sunday is the plan, let's get another run going! UTV

We had couple of days rest extra over Leeds last game

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

We had couple of days rest extra over Leeds last game

They have better fitness levels over anyone. Running stats proves that.

I'm glad that game is done and dusted. Arguably the toughest game we will ever face this season.

On 26/10/2020 at 20:13, One For The Road said:

Our record v Southampton is absolutely appalling and has been since the 80's (maybe earlier?).

Expecting a very tough afternoon and I'd snap your arm off for point.

1-3 Grealish.

Think people are confusing the odd Le Tiss wonder goal against us for a bad run but it was really good from 1995 onwards for a long time:

95/96

Southampton 0-1 Villa

Villa 3-0 Southampton

96/97

Southampton 0-1 Villa

Villa 1-0 Southampton

97/98

Villa 1-1 Southampton

Southampton 1-3 Villa

98/99

Southampton 1-4 Villa (that was game where we had cringy post match celebrations after breaking unbeaten run record)

Villa 3-0 Southampton

After that they started beating us a few times but it still was a mixed record up to their relegation in 2004/05 when we beat them twice (came back from 2 down in the away game to win) but yeah lots of issues v them since they came back up in 2012, usually due to us not being able to cope with whatever front 3 they have out. Shane Long's first goal of the season incoming of course...

• Like 1