Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

5 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Not wishful thinking really to hope for at least a point against a solid midtable Prem team at home. We've beaten better in Liverpool and Leicester already. Sides like Brighton, Newcastle, Palace and West Ham are supposedly 'established' teams too, but I wouldn't' be happy with a draw against any of those teams at home. We've invested a lot in the team to be able to compete against such teams.

More to do with quality than being established really.

Southampton are comfortably better than all those sides IMO.

5 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think if at least the majority of our first 11 perform well then we will take something, at least a draw and possibly even a win. If none of them turn up, as happened against Leeds, then it's curtains again. But I really wouldn't expect a non-performance from the whole team to happen in 2 consecutive games. 

I agree.

• Like 1

Lawro has us down for a 2-1 defeat. He's so predictable 😁. We will have had plenty of rest, no excuses for this game, we know what Southampton and we should have a game plan for them. No passengers like against leeds.  Same side for me!

10 hours ago, John said:

We welcome Southampton to Villa Park for a high noon showdown on Sunday. We really need to bounce back after losing our unbeaten run last Friday, if we are not to run the risk of losing the momentum that our great start to this season has given us. We need to ensure that our first defeat of the season, which was also the first time that we had failed to win, can be looked back on as a blip, rather than as the start of a slide down the table.

A win would maintain our position in the top four with a game in hand, but a win may well be as hard to come by as it proved to be last Friday night. The Saints will be a tough nut to crack and they have won on their last two visits to Villa Park by a two-goal margin. It has been 16 long years since we last beat them at Villa Park, so it is high time that we did just that!

Overall, we have won 25 and have drawn 24, of the 70 league games that there have been between the two clubs. We need another clean sheet, and a win might even see us top of the league on Sunday afternoon. Just win it for us Villa! :flag:           

john, history counts for nothing, either way.....its what you do on the day.....if we try to out score them from the off, it may be our undoing.....stay in the game and our opportunities will come.

If we let them play, they can play and they will hurt us, make no mistake......if we reduce them to frustration, we can capitalise.....it will be tough, no doubt.

• Like 1

Its not about who we have beaten or who we can beat......its about who of our players performs on the night.

The 7-2 against Liverpool has no relevance whatsoever, in this encounter...or the Leicester win.

our players need to be "at it" for us to have a chance.......simple as that............all of them, not just one or two.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Lawro has us down for a 2-1 defeat. He's so predictable 😁. We will have had plenty of rest, no excuses for this game, we know what Southampton and we should have a game plan for them. No passengers like against leeds.  Same side for me!

It matters not.....we need to be up for it....its about the mind not the legs.

1 hour ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I shall be conspicuous by my absence for this game. Unless Boris changes it, I will be in Birmingham air port flying to Gran Canaria. Its warmer and safer there than any where in the UK at present 

it might not be so safe on the plane.....Viruses love planes...just a cautious word.

but I hope you are ok, and enjoy yourself.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, PaulC said:

Both teams carry threats

I think the team who contains those threats best, will win.

I hope the 9 days rest will suffice....but i have a nagging doubt that our training is not intense enough against these teams.....we will see.

In his press conference Dean kept saying ‘we forgot the game plan when they scored and tried to go toe to toe, if we had stuck to the plan there might have been a different result’ Surely someone on the pitch (captain?) should have taken responsibility and made sure that this happened. There is no point preparing a plan all week if the players abandon it as soon as we go one down.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smg said:

In his press conference Dean kept saying ‘we forgot the game plan when they scored and tried to go toe to toe, if we had stuck to the plan there might have been a different result’ Surely someone on the pitch (captain?) should have taken responsibility and made sure that this happened. There is no point preparing a plan all week if the players abandon it as soon as we go one down.

Concerning.