Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Take a point.

Why are people happy to take a point?

If someone says to me would you take a point at home to Liverpool I kind if get that. If someone says would you take a point away at Leicester. Kind of but probably not.

If you take a point in every game then you could easily get relegated.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, turvontour said:

If someone says to me would you take a point at home to Liverpool I kind if get that. If someone says would you take a point away at Leicester. Kind of but probably not.

To be honest I’m not even looking at home and away. I don’t think it matters without crowds. 

If looking at the game in isolation then yes you want a win at home against Southampton.  But after how we got turned over last game id be happy just to not lose 2 on the bounce and start to build up an unbeaten run again.  

A point would put us second with a game in hand. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, turvontour said:

On the other hand, not to actually disagree with your point, it’s nice to think that a point per game from now would have us finish probably 12th.

First and foremost i’d be looking not to lose this, but if we want to establish ourselves as a decent Premier League side, we should be looking at gaining all 3 points here.  

Yes, they’re a good side well drilled and have a dangerous forward line but all Premier League teams have good players that need watching.  

I really think we can nick this and I predict a 1-0 win. UTV

After being so good for the first 4 games I don't think DS will panic after the Leeds defeat. I'd expect the same team once again but there's no doubt we need more energy from midfield and both Jack and Trez are going to have to work their socks off going in both directions. 

The key for Southampton is Ward-Prowse, everything they do well goes through him so we will need McGinn and Barkley closing down from the front. 

Pity this one isn't on TV (I'm not paying another 15quid on top of my SKY and BT subscriptions) so I'll be watching on the internet. I think we will shade it 2-1 Oliie to get both.  

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Whatever happens today, Watkins is due a goal.

Yeah, think he’ll get one too. We need to not give away too many corners and cheap free kicks today. Ward-Prowse is pinpoint with his delivery and they have plenty of height in that line up.

Romeu will be the one sent out to scythe Grealish down today. I always feel we go into every game now with the chance of gaining a man advantage. Incredible the amount of red cards we get against us the last couple of years.

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Because Southampton are a very good side that we’ve struggled against in recent times. They’ve just beaten Everton convincingly and they will be right in our faces from the off, we often struggle when we’re denied time and space. We’ve had a great start to the season but have just lost the last game. A point here is progress compared to last season and stops any losing run from gaining any momentum. 

Everyone wants to win, sure, but being realistically, a draw would be okay. 

But we've struggled against Liverpool and Leicester in recent times. You can give a justification for us not beating any team. 

Accepting a draw is much much nearer to a loss than it is to a win.

If you win every game, you win the league. If you lose every game, you get relegated. If you draw every game you can get relegated. 

Drawing isnt the middle ground of outcomes. If you offered me 2 points for a draw before kick off then it would be a different conversation.

I want to see a positive reaction to the Leeds performance and importantly we need to make ourselves hard to beat again and restrict efforts on our goal like we had been doing prior to the last game.

With our attacking talent I feel we are capable of scoring but likewise the Saints have some serious threats up front (plus Shane Long seems to have an annoying habit of playing well against us!)

We'll need to cope with their workrate and the midfield battle will be key.

Would love it if we could win, would happily take.a point but am expecting a narrow defeat.

Come on Villa!

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, turvontour said:

But we've struggled against Liverpool and Leicester in recent times. You can give a justification for us not beating any team. 

If you win every game, you win the league. If you lose every game, you get relegated. If you draw every game you can get relegated. 

Drawing isnt the middle ground of outcomes. If you offered me 2 points for a draw before kick off then it would be a different conversation.

I’m not advocating that draws are the best thing ever, of course we’d all prefer a win. I can make plenty of justifications why I think we can win today. I’m just not confident we will do, I think it will be a draw and I’d accept that as a good result, with all things considered. 

Let’s hope we turn up in top form and smash Southampton though, they’ve had it too easy against us for far too long now.

40 minutes ago, turvontour said:

The thing is, nobody is actually offering us anything. We have to wait and see what happens in the game and what happens, happens.  Its just that being happy with a draw a against a very good Southampton side is perfectly fine. We got spanked at home last week, as Southampton were battering the league leaders. 

As someone posted above, a draw today would have us sitting in 2nd (for a few hours at least) and we would all have taken that after 6 games. 

Its not defeatist to think there are certain games where a point is enough. This is one of them, next week is another. 

Now, if we were home to Burnley, WBA, or Fulham and you said you'd take a draw  then thats a whole different story. Southampton are a class side and why I just can't see anything other than a loss. Hope I'm wrong.

Edited by One For The Road

We've  had 9 days since the Leeds debacle. Enough time for much needed rest, and hopefully the focus will be maxed out on correcting our errors last time out. Won't be easy but time to reflate the confidence