Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

3 hours ago, Loxstock92 said:

I’m curious as to who would be thanos in this analogy, and what represents the 6 infinity stones 😁

I'm sure we will find a Thanos this season, just wait till a team do give us a good going for and the score is 6-0 and six players have all scored a goal each, you will know that club then is Thanos 🤣.

Yeah, not looking forward to this one.  They are in great form and boast one of the best strikers in the league at the moment; his partner is also rapidly getting up the speed of things.  Young lad Walker-Peters impresses me to.  

Still, I fancy us to get back to scoring ways.  It all depends how many we can get as we'll struggle to keep Ings quiet all game and I assume Shane Long will get his token goal at some point.

Score draw I say.  2-2  (Watkins + McGinn)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am hoping a rested SJM and a, hopefully, fit Barkley can make us much more competitive this time.  Plus, I hope we can see a dangerous Traore from the start.

I think it will depend up on who can make the better start and exert their style on the game.

I'm probably a bit more hopeful on here than most, judging by the comments, but may well end up regretting that!

Edited by barry'sboots

We still don't know what Villa we are dealing with this season, based on the last 7 years this is very losable, base don the last 8 games its very winnable. Southampton are nothing special but they hold their own most seasons and you get the feeling Ings will score so really could do with Ollie getting back in the goals. I would probably take a point but if we want to actually achieve anything more than 15th this season we have to win these games.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, troon_villan said:

Yeah, not looking forward to this one.  They are in great form and boast one of the best strikers in the league at the moment; his partner is also rapidly getting up the speed of things.  Young lad Walker-Peters impresses me to.  

Still, I fancy us to get back to scoring ways.  It all depends how many we can get as we'll struggle to keep Ings quiet all game and I assume Shane Long will get his token goal at some point.

We was in great form and look how fast that cane crashing down, the league will continue to be berserk and finding form seems to be easy for teams, its keeping it thats the tough part.

• Like 1

----------------------Watkins-----------------------
Grealish-----------------------------------Traore
--------------McGinn----Barkley----------------
------------------------Luiz----------------------------
Targett-------Mings--Konsa----------Cash
---------------------Martinez------------------------

17 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

----------------------Watkins-----------------------
Grealish-----------------------------------Traore
--------------McGinn----Barkley----------------
------------------------Luiz----------------------------
Targett-------Mings--Konsa----------Cash
---------------------Martinez------------------------

If we have to play the Smith way (4-3-3), I would do that, assuming Ross is fully fit.

However, I would be tempted to go with the same back 4 and then a diamond of Luiz - SJM - CH/JR - RB (at the point) to get an extra man in midfield and a front two of Jack and Ollie with Jack given a completely free role.  I think Jack could be unplayable in a free role (especially with Barkley also given a licence to get further forward with an extra body in CM) and give their back 4 something very different to think about.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

If we have to play the Smith way (4-3-3), I would do that, assuming Ross is fully fit.

However, I would be tempted to go with the same back 4 and then a diamond of Luiz - SJM - CH/JR - RB (at the point) to get an extra man in midfield and a front two of Jack and Ollie with Jack given a completely free role.  I think Jack could be unplayable in a free role (especially with Barkley also given a licence to get further forward with an extra body in CM) and give their back 4 something very different to think about.

I still like Grealish as a 10 but we just don't play the system to suit it and I can't see that changing. Not with Barkley here. 

I'd still play Trezeguet.

Southampton will put us under a lot of pressure and i'm not convinced about Traore's defensive capabilities. Atrocious against Bristol.

Trez poor against Leeds but he has shown for most of this season that he can do the defensive job.

Saints do play a high line, similar to Liverpool.

Spurs exploited that and thrashed them. They also didn't change much during the game.

I'd expect Smith to use similar tactics to the Liverpool game here.

But i recon they will target Targett (excuse the pun) they will know him well and his weaknesses.

Edited by villalad21

15 hours ago, troon_villan said:

I am also concened about the work rate of Romeu and Ward Prowse in the middle.....we need to keep their engine room quiet and cut off the supply to Ings, if their front men get a decent supply, we could be in trouble.

This is where we need to look to the squad to alter things slightly, but we don't have the diversity of midfield player to do it.....our midfield players are too samey, even with the talent they have, just a bit too offensive for a game like this.

9 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I am hoping a rested SJM and a, hopefully, fit Barkley can make us much more competitive this time.  Plus, I hope we can see a dangerous Traore from the start.

I think it will depend up on who can make the better start and exert their style on the game.

I'm probably a bit more hopeful on here than most, judging by the comments, but may well end up regretting that!

I would start tight and nullify their threat, let them get frustrated....a point is ok for us. When they get frustrated, catch them on the counter and grow in to the game.

If we go at them early on, we will create space for them to counter us and their tails will go up....they have the players in the centre, to turn the ball over and catch us in transition, like the other night, this could easily be a repeat, if we are not careful and cautious.

If we can play like we did against Leicester, we have a chance of a result.....gungho and we are toast.

We need to protect the centre backs better than we did against Leeds.

47 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am also concened about the work rate of Romeu and Ward Prowse in the middle.....we need to keep their engine room quiet and cut off the supply to Ings, if their front men get a decent supply, we could be in trouble.

This is where we need to look to the squad to alter things slightly, but we don't have the diversity of midfield player to do it.....our midfield players are too samey, even with the talent they have, just a bit too offensive for a game like this.

The same players can just manage their positions better. be hard to leave Barkley out anyway after he came to us for regular first team football and no way would I drop mcGinn

1 hour ago, kidlewis said:

We should play 4-4-2 and try and pack more in midfield. We need to keep things compact imo for this game. Hit fast on the break. 

10 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I would be tempted to go with a diamond of Luiz - SJM - CH/JR - RB (at the point) to get an extra man in midfield and a front two of Jack and Ollie with Jack given a completely free role.  I think Jack could be unplayable in a free role (especially with Barkley also given a licence to get further forward with an extra body in CM) and give their back 4 something very different to think about.

I agree.  An extra man in midfield but this also gives Jack and Barkley more freedom to push on/interchange/roam all over.

On 26/10/2020 at 19:00, Loxstock92 said:

I’m curious as to who would be thanos in this analogy, and what represents the 6 infinity stones 😁

What Dave means is something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done