Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Will be interesting to see what SU will do in the January window.

Will they do a Norwich and just accept relegation or will they go for it and take a risk?

They've already sent 20 odd million on Brewster. McBurnie also cost 15m.

TBF last season their best scoring striker only got 6 or 7 goals.

Their defence is far far worse this year, Ramsdale is a joke keeper imo.  Sure some were wanting him instead of Martinez when we were sort of linked to him in the summer.

You lads are nuts.

Sheffield Utd are only six points from safety. That’s two matches. Two.

I’m not saying they’ll survive, clearly their results have been abysmal and they’re currently favourites for the drop, but to think they can’t turn this around when there’s 27 matches still to play is madness.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Enda said:

You lads are nuts.

I’m not saying they’ll survive, clearly their results have been abysmal and they’re currently favourites for the drop, but to think they can’t turn this around when there’s 27 matches still to play is madness.

Burnley have 4 points from last 3 games so they're starting to do better than a point a game.

They do that over next 3 games and Sheffield will be I think 10 points from safety if they don't get anything in their next 3.

22 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think the hybrid zonal marking we do can work just not the way we do it 

For West hams 1st goal from memory we lined up with a zonal 3 across the 6 yard line maybe a bit deeper, those 3 were Mings, Konsa and Targett, that leaves the likes of mcginn to do the man marking

That doesnt work

We need to change that up, putting a zonal marker on the front stick to win the large number of shit corners is not a bad idea, I'm sure we've even used Benteke in that role in the past, putting a zonal marker in front of the keeper again I don't think is a bad idea, makes the attacker have to work over or around him and if he's a scrapper he can try and win 2nd balls or anything that spills

So I would put mcginn front post or right in the middle, or maybe cash, let mings and konsa man mark 

Edit - a minute after I typed that I saw a Chelsea corner vs Leeds, Leeds had Bamford as the front post zonal marker, someone had a run on him and he turned his **** back on it! Header went wide, he wanted none of it

Thats why some coaches put as much emphasis on the players commitment as the tactics.

58 minutes ago, Enda said:

You lads are nuts.

Of course they can, but they're likely to lose their next two and Wilder regularly calls out individual performances to the press. Their confidence must be absolutely shot.

1 hour ago, Enda said:

You lads are nuts.

I absolutely think Sheffield United can stay up - I think the battle for relegation could go to the very last day - but I think that there might only be four teams in that battle with fifteen games left. One of those four is going to survive and already it looks like that will be the battle.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Of course they can, but they're likely to lose their next two and Wilder regularly calls out individual performances to the press. Their confidence must be absolutely shot.

I’d feel like shit if my manager was giving post-match conferences picking up on my mistakes. It’s not good management. Just going to ruin morale on a team that can barely defend let alone score. 

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's my problem with this

Sheffield Utd with 1 point from 11 games "but if they win a couple..." 

Fair point and good post but my point is there’s a long way to go. People consistently under-estimate how form changes over a season.

For example, at this point last season Southampton were in the relegation zone and Bournemouth were top half.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I absolutely think Sheffield United can stay up - I think the battle for relegation could go to the very last day - but I think that there might only be four teams in that battle with fifteen games left. One of those four is going to survive and already it looks like that will be the battle.

Burnley will still get over 30 points imo so they need to go on longer winning run than any stage last season to have realistic chance. It's beyond them imo.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Us with 5 wins in 9 games including wins vs Liverpool Leicester and arsenal and what was one of our best ever starts to a season, scoring goals and creating a lot of chances 

If you were to pick one of those teams capable of winning a couple why are villa fans not picking villa? We are ten times more likely to win a couple than they are 

It’s called knicker wetting syndrome.

Some are more prone than others to catch this.

• Like 2

Lots of talk about internal problems at Brighton. That's the stuff that makes you a relegation candidate. I didn’t expect them to struggle, but I think tomorrow can be a defining match for them.

Ironically I've backed them to the hilt in FPL for tomorrow. I think they will beat southampton. 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Us with 5 wins in 9 games including wins vs Liverpool Leicester and arsenal and what was one of our best ever starts to a season, scoring goals and creating a lot of chances 

If you were to pick one of those teams capable of winning a couple why are villa fans not picking villa? We are ten times more likely to win a couple than they are 

Years and years of pain, disappointment and hurt, my friend. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think people are still coming to grips with the fact that we're actually decent. Too many years of trauma to just let go I guess.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Lots of talk about internal problems at Brighton. That's the stuff that makes you a relegation candidate. I didn’t expect them to struggle, but I think tomorrow can be a defining match for them.

Ironically I've backed them to the hilt in FPL for tomorrow. I think they will beat southampton. 

Where you seen this mate? I thought all was well at Brighton. There results of late would suggest so.