Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Lots of talk about internal problems at Brighton. That's the stuff that makes you a relegation candidate. I didn’t expect them to struggle, but I think tomorrow can be a defining match for them.

Ironically I've backed them to the hilt in FPL for tomorrow. I think they will beat southampton. 

What's the rumours? They had the issue with Maupay a few weeks back but quickly put him back in the team.

They've just taken 4 points from us and Liverpool so would be surprised if they slumped again, wouldn't be surprised if they won v Southampton.

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Where you seen this mate? I thought all was well at Brighton. There results of late would suggest so. 

Came from an English footy commentator. Don't remember the name, but Maupay was part of it, so maybe Chris is right and it's nothing.

Relegation is pretty much a non entity at this point although it isnt quite off the table of course. However I think there's about a 0.01% chance of it happening.

However I absolutely do not want us to qualify for the Europa League under any circumstance. Well unless we win the Cup. Having our squad stretched thin by that nonsense of a competition is the last thing we need. I dont think we'll finish that high but its certainly not a target we should be trying to achieve. 

Edited by R.Bear

8 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Relegation is pretty much a non entity at this point although it isnt quite off the table of course. However I think there's about a 0.01% chance of it happening.

However I absolutely do not want us to qualify for the Europa League under any circumstance. Well unless we win the Cup. Having our squad stretched thin by that nonsense of a competition is the last thing we need. I dont think we'll finish that high but its certainly not a target we should be trying to achieve. 

I do.

It's one of the few scenarios in which I can envision Jack staying.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, penguin said:

I do.

It's one of the few scenarios in which I can envision Jack staying.

Oh yeah, nothing Jack wants more than to be carted off to deepest darkest Eastern Europe to play FC Whogivesashit on Thursday nights.

It's a pox of a competition to everyone involved.

4 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Oh yeah, nothing Jack wants more than to be carted off to deepest darkest Eastern Europe to play FC Whogivesashit on Thursday nights.

It's a pox of a competition to everyone involved.

Indeed. It's not an exciting competition.

I was all for it at the time when MON played his reserves and focusing on top 4.

Direct quote from Smith:

"I've built up a very good relationship over my two years at Aston Villa with Jack and we know each other inside and out," Smith said.

"He wanted to progress and wanted progress as a footballer first and foremost at Villa. It's his team, he grew up as an Aston Villa fan, he's been here a long time and I've always had that feeling that he didn't want to leave. He wanted to continue the journey of being progressive with the football club."

He added: "If we don't keep progressing and become a club that's challenging in Europe then we probably won't meet Jack's ambitions and there will be a time where Jack looks elsewhere then. At the moment, he can see the progression at the football club and he wants to be a part of that."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/grealish-man-utd-transfer-villa-19444971

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Indeed. It's not an exciting competition.

I was all for it at the time when MON played his reserves and focusing on top 4.

Who can forget those great Villa European nights like losing at home MSK Zilina in a half empty stadium with Salifou, Osborne and Delfouneso starting. Halcyon days at the Villa.

Edited by R.Bear
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, penguin said:

At the moment, he can see the progression at the football club and he wants to be a part of that."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/grealish-man-utd-transfer-villa-19444971

This is the part I care about.

If we continue with this average we would end up on circa 68 points.

Only way we keep it up I feel is with a quality addition or 2 in Jan ( Even on loan ) as injuries and suspensions could be telling at bad times.

7 points minimum before Chelsea would be a great push towards that!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Beat Burnley and  we'll be 15 points clear of them if they lose at Arsenal. Potential to be 18 points clear of West Brom if we beat them and Burnley and they lose to Man. City in the week which is near certainty.

This thread will be in other football in next two weeks I reckon.

Would be interested to know if anyone has ever been relegated from top flight being 18 points clear of bottom 3 after about 15 games. Useless is good with the stats so sure he'll know?😉

Can't have been that many who've gone down with 12 point gap as we have now.

Edited by VillaChris

2 hours ago, R.Bear said:

OT I do but for different reasons, you look at Chelseas couple of years there and arsenal's time there now, pretty much all the youngsters breaking through for them have been bled in using the EL, saka, Nelson, holding, AMN at arsenal were all getting game time in that competition, arsenal had 4 youth team graduates playing Thursday with another 7 on the bench 

Next year might be too soon but the season after us getting EL and throwing Barry or carney in to the group stage could be huge in their development, we look like we have a great crop coming through and that's an opportunity to show it

And its great for fans 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

OT I do but for different reasons, you look at Chelseas couple of years there and arsenal's time there now, pretty much all the youngsters breaking through for them have been bled in using the EL, saka, Nelson, holding, AMN at arsenal were all getting game time in that competition, arsenal had 4 youth team graduates playing Thursday with another 7 on the bench 

Next year might be too soon but the season after us getting EL and throwing Barry or carney in to the group stage could be huge in their development, we look like we have a great crop coming through and that's an opportunity to show it

And its great for fans 

We used to win in group stage playing likes of Salifou and Isiah Osbourne. Can remember Fonz scoring at home and also in Hamburg so like that idea although we were higher seeds back then and would probably get a tougher group this time.

• Like 1