Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

We lost the last 2 games by extremely fine margins. Nobody would have batted an eyelid if we picked up 4 points, but we ended up with 0 through bad luck. Yes we didn't make it easy on ourselves with our defending but there's nothing we could have done about VAR or the diabolical finishing by players who have typically done better.

Yes we're now technically in "bad form" as a result, but the margins are so fine that it can easily swing the other way for the next few games without us changing a single thing in the way we play, so I'm not quite sure what's there to be worried about.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Always here with the underlying stats. We will be fine once these big chances stop falling to Trez.

Wonder where we would be if we'd bought a better starting winger! Shame.

This is where we've played two games less than some sides and a game less than many others.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We lost the last 2 games by extremely fine margins. Nobody would have batted an eyelid if we picked up 4 points, but we ended up with 0 through bad luck. Yes we didn't make it easy on ourselves with our defending but there's nothing we could have done about VAR or the diabolical finishing by players who have typically done better.

Yes we're now technically in "bad form" as a result, but the margins are so fine that it can easily swing the other way for the next few games without us changing a single thing in the way we play, so I'm not quite sure what's there to be worried about.

Yep. This is why I'm not worried in the slightest. 

I confidently predict there won't be one time this season where we will go into the bottom 3 or be in a position where a loss would put us in the bottom 3. 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Like I said last night, regardless our form the bottom 4 are **** terrible 

Sheffield will do well to catch the 15 points we already have... 

You really see this baggies team catching us with how we're both playing? Not a chance 

They really are dreadful aren’t they? I know they’re down to 10 men but honestly, that’s 6 points for us this season surely. Palace look half decent btw. With Eze, Zaha and Benteke up top, they will cause teams problems this season. 

Really impressed with Eze in particular. 

Hopefully Sheff Utd, Albion, Fulham etc. keep losing and we maintain a buffer. At no point this season do I want to be anywhere near that bottom 3.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think Palace are the same inconsistent mid table that we are, battered Leeds, lose at home to Newcastle, whilst playing boring safe Roy football based on twitter

Results wise and rough standing in the league I agree, but their fundamentals are almost the opposite.

More than one way to skin a cat of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

The Eagles beating Abion, a draw in that game wouldn't be a bad result for us, as long as West Brom don't win.

There's an argument to say that an Albion win would have been better for us - we're not competing with Albion this season, whereas Palace will be looking to occupy the same bit of the table we are.

But equally it'd be nice to have the relegation places pretty much sorted to the four it'll be as soon as we can so that everyone else can concentrate on trying to finish as high up the table as possible. I think the bottom four will be adrift by January and we can start hoping they pick up wins against teams we want to finish above.

And of course, it's the Albion so...

• Like 2

If results had have gone against us this weekend we could have been just six points clear of the bottom three with Wolves to come next, so I'm glad that results have gone as they have done for the bottom three of four teams. If we're good enough to compete with the likes of Palace in midtable, and I'm not saying that we're not, the the way to do that is by winning enough of our own games, the further you go up the table the less you can rely on others losing.

Much rather Palace had dropped points today tbh. Became a long shot as soon as WBA went down to 10 men.

Palace is sort of team we need to be finishing above to make sure we're on the right track.

O.k not wanting the bottom 3 not to close the gap on us but really this could be league table end of the season.

12th Newcastle 47 points

13th Palace 46 points

14th Us 45 points

15th Leeds 44 points

16th Brighton 40 points

17th Burnley 30 points

18th West Brom 26 points

19th Fulham 25 points

20th Sheffield United 20 points

So we'd be 19 points clear of relegation and 15 points clear of 17th but is that really enough progress considering the start we had? That's the danger of wanting the middle table teams to keep on beating bottom 4 every weekend as it just inflates their points tallys further.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

If results had have gone against us this weekend we could have been just six points clear of the bottom three with Wolves to come next, so I'm glad that results have gone as they have done for the bottom three of four teams. If we're good enough to compete with the likes of Palace in midtable, and I'm not saying that we're not, the the way to do that is by winning enough of our own games, the further you go up the table the less you can rely on others losing.

Bit pointless saying this though. Because the bottom 3 are the bottom 3 for a reason. 

I think we could lose the next 5 and still have a gap from the bottom 3. 

We are in no danger at all this season, which is the aim. 

• Like 1

It's not pointless saying it, two of the bottom three won last week, so it's not as if they're always guaranteed to lose, Albion winning today, and Burnley getting a win yesterday wasn't some far fetched scenario.

Seems to be a lot of misplaced arrogance in this thread, anyone would think we're some proven midtable team instead of one that's just had a few good results at the end of last season and the start of this one.  We've still got a lot to prove before we can afford not to worry abou the gap between us and the bottom three shrinking.

And should also be pointed out that this season isn't just about surviving, I'm sure the owners will want to see better than that after the money invested.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

It's not pointless saying it, two of the bottom three won last week, so it's not as if they're always guaranteed to lose, Albion winning today, and Burnley getting a win yesterday wasn't some far fetched scenario.

Seems to be a lot of misplaced arrogance in this thread, anyone would think we're some proven midtable team instead of one that's just had a few good results at the end of last season and the start of this one.  We've still got a lot to prove before we can afford not to worry abou the gap between us and the bottom three shrinking.

And should also be pointed out that this season isn't just about surviving, I'm sure the owners will want to see better than that after the money invested.

Well yes, a bit like us. 

You could say if results had gone against us we'd be closer to the bottom. You could also say had results gone for us, as performances deserved, we'd be near the top. 

We aren't just surviving though are we? Again a bit of a pointless statement at this point in the season. 

I swear its only villa fans who think this has been a poor start. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Well yes, a bit like us. 

You could say if results had gone against us we'd be closer to the bottom. You could also so had results gone for us, as performances deserved we'd be near the top. 

We aren't just surviving though are we? Again a bit of a pointless statement at this point in the season. 

I swear its only villa fans who think this has been a poor start. 

Its also only us that think baggies or Fulham or Burnley can go on a huge winning streak but we can't 

Its not just the results we are a better football team than the bottom 4, better results, better players, better football 

That's not arrogance, baggies and Fulham in particular that's a decision they made in the transfer window when they didn't invest

• Like 2

Hopefully we beat Burnley and West Brom (no excuse not to win that after today) and gap to even 17th could be about 12 points in 3-4 games time. At what point is it acceptable to then want likes of WBA to take some points off Newcastle and Leeds, 15-20 points?

No good just wanting it when there's 10 games left as by then two of them will all but be relegated and so could well lose motivation and be a walking 3 points as Norwich were in run in last season.

I want us to finish above likes of Newcastle, Palace and Leeds as I'd say those three are realistic teams to finish above from what I've seen. Would rather do that with none of them finishing on 45 points than possibly a couple of them getting 50 + which could happen given how bad the bottom 4 have been so far.