Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Wages obviously the sticking point here. He’s bad, but he’s not newly promoted Turkish team bad. 

Be glad when he’s off the books. Same goes for the likes of Sanson, Guilbert, Wesley, Dendoncker and to a lesser extent, Digne and Coutinho. The amount of wages we spend on players that aren’t first team regulars is frightening. 

Yep.

It's kind of a bi- product of our fairly rapid transformation from bottom half club fighting for survival to European contenders.

They're players that aren't good enough for where we are as first teamers, but they're on first team salaries. 

The benefit is it does give us a fair amount of depth compared with some of the other clubs around us. Ideally we'd replace them with younger prospects on less money, but it's going to be difficult with how much money is in the PL.

Guilbert is already gone by the way, although i don't think we for anything for him

• Like 2

im not sure newcastle, chelsea, the PIF and the Saudis in general have the nous or the structure in place to do it, or that they care that much, buying and loaning players between the PIF and Newcastle is one thing but making considerations of villa or brighton et al in their transfer dealings? nah, not for me

its like the belief that man city bought grealish to keep us in our place and stop us threatening them, they didn't 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

im not sure newcastle, chelsea, the PIF and the Saudis in general have the nous or the structure in place to do it, or that they care that much, buying and loaning players between the PIF and Newcastle is one thing but making considerations of villa or brighton et al in their transfer dealings? nah, not for me

its like the belief that man city bought grealish to keep us in our place and stop us threatening them, they didn't 

I think they absolutely have the sense to not help villa unless it also helps them. But idon't think they're consciously ignoring our players

You only have to look at them buying Fabinho (as mentioned above) off Liverpool to know that they will help Newcastle's rivals if it helps them. 

I suspect the Coutinho situation is one where he's just not interested. 

Traoré maybe doesn't have the same appeal or there are other options that they're looking at first.

I'd be fine keeping Traore around to bring on in the kind of gamed where we're either comfortable or struggling to unlock a defence. He scored our goal of the season last year,  and even if he only played 5 games this year I wouldn't be surprised if he did it again.

Football is shit enough these days with all that's going on, but at least Traore brings entertainment to the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Does he not count as a homegrown player for Europe?

Joined Chelsea at 18 and played 4 years

Association trained and we've plenty of those and there are 4 slots for those 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Does he not count as a homegrown player for Europe?

Joined Chelsea at 18 and played 4 years

Nope, afraid not. He spent four years at Chelsea, but two of those were on loan in the Netherlands, so he doesn’t count as homegrown. 

1 hour ago, Rich192 said:

Nope, afraid not. He spent four years at Chelsea, but two of those were on loan in the Netherlands, so he doesn’t count as homegrown. 

Fun thing about Traore was he was key player involved in Chelsea getting the transfer ban

15 hours ago, turvontour said:

I guess its because we are not a selling club anymore. I.e. in the last five years, we havent sold any player we havent wanted to, except for Grealish. And to be fair, I think we wanted to sell Grealish at £100 mil. Whereas the five to ten years before the last five years we sold loads of players on at a profit, but we didnt want to be selling them.

Grealish, Chukwuemeka and, to an extent, Targett were all sold when the club didn't want them to go. 

Just now, StanBalaban said:

Guessing his move must be near seeing as he's not gone to the US?

Recovering from injury so… I don’t think anyone can say for sure. Into the last year of his contract… can he stake a claim for a renewal with some positive performances this season? Or will he be moved on?

Useful member of the squad and can be utilised or even start against relatively weak competition in ECL group games, for instance…

I think his time is up after this coming season, don’t see the urgency to get rid right now though… pin it: “we need a squad”.

We paid 17 million for him and he is in his peak years so I think we either offer him a new contract or we try to move him on. He is a good player, only 27, so you'd imagine a fair few clubs should be interested and willing to pay 8-10 mill for him. I wouldn't want to see him leave for nothing next year. 

Just now, markavfc40 said:

We paid 17 million for him and he is in his peak years so I think we either offer him a new contract or we try to move him on. He is a good player, only 27, so you'd imagine a fair few clubs should be interested and willing to pay 8-10 mill for him. I wouldn't want to see him leave for nothing next year. 

Can't see it. He's barely played really since May 2021. Since then 21/22 was pretty much a write off and then loaned to a lower end Turkish club last season before being recalled and then scoring those crackers in April before reverting back to sometime sub.

Think Fulham were bidding for Calum Hudson-Odoi so perhaps offer him to them towards end of window but I'd be expecting 4-5m.

Wouldn't shock me if we kept him to January and he can certainly contribute in europe for us.

• Like 1

Â