Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

I think that if we are buying 1 (maybe 2) attacking players this window then it means that we can only keep one of him, Coutinho and Bailey (not sure we can have 2 of them on the bench).  I'm really not sure which of the three would be my pick - they all have their upsides but can all be frustrating as hell too.

27 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I mean was he really that different? Poor strength, poor passing, poor progression. There’s a reason he was yanked at HT. 

What do you mean by poor progression? As he made a few progressive passes into dangerous areas. He wasn't great, but not sure how you can say 'poor progression'.

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

What do you mean by poor progression? As he made a few progressive passes into dangerous areas. He wasn't great, but not sure how you can say 'poor progression'.

He made what 2-3 passes into reasonable areas but was otherwise so poor he had to be pulled at HT. Bad indictment. 

I feel he's done good as a squad player and I'm glad he's here and I hope if he wants to he can have a good preseason and either go again at the club or we get some cash in.

Saying that, I thought the decision to start him yesterday was bizarre. He's looked well off it at times even in cameos.

9 hours ago, allani said:

I think that if we are buying 1 (maybe 2) attacking players this window then it means that we can only keep one of him, Coutinho and Bailey (not sure we can have 2 of them on the bench).  I'm really not sure which of the three would be my pick - they all have their upsides but can all be frustrating as hell too.

I'd sell all three of them.

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

That will be last game he starts for us. I think he will be sold in summer and bailey prob kept 

There is absolutely no way I would keep Bailey over Bertie. Bertie can do things with a football, that Bailey could only dream of doing 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

There is absolutely no way I would keep Bailey over Bertie. Bertie can do things with a football, that Bailey could only dream of doing 

I'd sell them both. Traore is better than Bailey, but that really isn't saying very much. Traore is capable of some outrageous skill, but he dosn't put in a shift and as such I don't see him having a future under Emery. Bailey is just dire.

10 hours ago, Risso said:

I'd sell them both. Traore is better than Bailey, but that really isn't saying very much. Traore is capable of some outrageous skill, but he dosn't put in a shift and as such I don't see him having a future under Emery. Bailey is just dire.

They’re both dire and won’t play a part next year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had no idea what SNUS even is

It’s the live match on television. Aston Villa are taking on Arsenal in front of a global audience of millions. The home team are heading towards a 4-2 defeat and, when the camera pans to Unai Emery, Villa’s manager, your eyes are drawn to the player in the dugout behind him.

These are the moments when Bertrand Traore, one of Villa’s substitutes, can be seen lifting up his top lip before appearing to place something alongside his gum. Aware that the footage has circulated on social media, Traore denies it was snus.

Rewind eight months and another scene from England’s top division: this time it’s Newcastle United versus Liverpool. Mark Gillespie, Newcastle’s third-choice goalkeeper, might not realise the television cameras are on him. He is sitting in the stand, inserting something beneath his lip, in a scene that is being replicated in dressing rooms up and down the country. Newcastle’s approach is that they see it as a personal decision.

Snus is a tobacco product that comes in small parcels, similar to a teabag sachet, and is placed alongside the gum to release nicotine into the bloodstream. Users talk of it giving them a calming effect and a sense of well-being. Stronger variants can involve a physical spark, which many footballers clearly feel is advantageous when the sport has never been quicker than it is now.
Lee Johnson, a manager who has seen its effects close-up, has told The Athletic that from his experiences he estimates 35 to 40 per cent of players are taking snus. If anything, he says, the numbers are probably higher. They just don’t want you to know about it.
“It’s a bit of a taboo subject; nobody is talking about it,” says Johnson, the manager of Hibernian and, before that, Sunderland, Bristol City, Barnsley and Oldham Athletic. “But it has become a culture. It’s getting worse and we need to educate these lads because it’s highly addictive. I don’t feel they understand the true threat of it over the long term.”

https://theathletic.com/4347316/2023/03/30/premier-league-snus-players-addiction/

On 12/05/2023 at 02:19, Tom13 said:

Couldn't imagine Bert punching anyone :D

Probably did it so covertly and nonchalantly no one knew who did it until CCTV footage came out. lol

In typical Bert style.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Â