Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

22 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s very inconsistent. 1 good game in perhaps 5/6 matches. I don’t want to hear the excuse ‘most wingers are inconsistent’ as a way of defending him either. He’s been very poor for large parts of the season, without question. 

Like I say, I will be disappointed if we don’t have two new wingers starting for us next season. With a very good back 5 and Watkins/Grealish, two new wingers are the missing part of the puzzle as an attacking unit. 

Just had a look through the games,  5 good games all season is a little harsh.  He's started 28 games, I reckon he's had 6 top quality games, 8 decent games, 6 really poor games the rest average at best. Been involved in some really important wins, and 6 goals/6 assists in the league is a decent return. Especially compared to some of players other teams have signed for £££s more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m glad our owners will be a little more ambitious than you! 

Haha. OK. 

I think our owners are going to be ambitious but we're not going to replace all key positions in one summer window. And we're not going to replace a £20 million signing, who has had a good first season and looks like he can improve. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Based on one season, which has been different to all season's preceeding it. In a new country, in a new team, that is (relatively) new to the league. The short term-ism of Villa fans is disappointing. 

It’s not short term-ism. I think he is a decent squad player and if he improves, great, he’ll be in the team. I’m just telling you, that in my opinion, we have ambitions to break the top 6 and I don’t think Traore is the player that will help us do that.

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Agreed but also we aren't buying an elite squad in one summer. 

We will continue to progress and I don't see RW as priority this summer. I bet Traore is our regular starter there next season.

Depends who we bring in, Deano has shown, regardless of where he says the squad is, that he likes to bring in new blood.

57 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s not short term-ism. I think he is a decent squad player and if he improves, great, he’ll be in the team. I’m just telling you, that in my opinion, we have ambitions to break the top 6 and I don’t think Traore is the player that will help us do that.

I think that's a fair summation of the situation of Traore but it's a bit different from saying only "a few bits of skill" have blinded people when he's literally had a direct hand in winning games for us on several occasions. Can only speak for myself but I think it applies to many here that while I'm a fan of Traore's and find it necessary to defend him against exaggerated accusations like that, I don't think he's nailed-on as a starter in the hypothetical event we become a top 6 side.

I think, like many things, the true position is in the middle of most people’s opinions.

He has been a good signing for the price, and far exceeded my expectations based on the Lyon and Ajax fans in the summer. 

Conversely, if we do have ambitions to get in to the top 6, this is a position that we would need an improvement in. Perhaps not on ability, but certainly consistency. 

And to end this, I will finish by saying that this guy has given us some of our best moments in a Villa shirt for a long time. He has been exhilarating, frustrating, infuriating, mesmerising all in equal measure. I’d take a Traore over a Snodgrass any day of the week. 

Love him too, has sensational talent and technical ability. Has given given us some genuine entertainment (lovely skills and goals). He’s really contributed in his debut season and is going to get better (and more disciplined) in the next.

Wouldn’t be averse to him having proper, quality competition for his position though. It brings out the best in players and helps us overall.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eholm said:

100% talent....100% frustration 

With a bit more work the coaching team and Traore will find a way to get the frustration percentage down I reckon. They'll find a way of getting the best out of him. There'll be some new faces in the summer so he'll have some more quality around him and as competition.

• Like 1

Just now, romavillan said:

With a bit more work the coaching team and Traore will find a way to get the frustration percentage down I reckon. They'll find a way of getting the best out of him. There'll be some new faces in the summer so he'll have some more quality around him and as competition.

Hope so mate. Also needs to build up his strength as too easily knoced off ball at presnet. Loads of potential even though he is 25. Could be a huge player for us next season. 

He's not far off, drum into him what to do in certain key situations to improve his decision making a bit and he'd score and assist more. He's got everything at the moment for his role apart from choosing the right thing to do when it's the final pass or time to shoot. Fix that and he'll be amazing for us.

The criticism of Mark walters at the time was that for every unbelievably brilliant game he had for us he'd have another 4 or 5 where he'd be anonymous. The mark Walters who went to play for Rangers when they were good and Liverpool. The Mark Walters who is still highly though of by Villa fans. Traore has been up and down and last night was frustrating as he dallied too long too often when the shooting opportunity presented itself. Still, I'd save judgement on him until next season. For me this season he gets a b-.

• Like 2

My guess is that whilst he isn't everybody's cup of tea we'll all be talking about him and some of the ridiculous shit he does for us for years to come. He's what I would call ridonkulius! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lexicon said:

6 goals and 6 assists in 25 games worth of minutes played. Also hugely entertaining. 

Nominated for 4 of the 12 goals of the season options and was so close to scoring the best Premier League goal of all time vs Sheffield United 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

My guess is that whilst he isn't everybody's cup of tea we'll all be talking about him and some of the ridiculous shit he does for us for years to come. He's what I would call ridonkulius! 

Yep, he's got cult hero written all over him. He will have days where he stinks the place out, but when he's good he's VERY good.

I see him as 40% Ronaldinho, 30% Ronny Rosenthal, 20% Ronald McDonald.

• Like 1

Good for where we are now. Unless he improves (ala Targett, Konsa) don't feel he is consistent enough - not just game to game, but minute to minute - for a team aspiring to play in European competitions. 

18 hours ago, lexicon said:

6 goals and 6 assists in 25 games worth of minutes played. Also hugely entertaining. 

As much as that is true, it's a lot of frustration as well.

Watching him not track back, failing to cross the ball, insisting to get over on his left, hitting awful cross field passes that get intercepted++ that's not entertaining at all. It's aids to the eyes.

But he'll improve and be a good squad player. Hopefully more in the CAM role.

Completely agree we meed a new top class right winger.

Â