Emiliano Martínez

hippo

4 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

How much do we pay Martinez and Buendia?! Not taking into account we have spent £55 million on them. 4 players out of 63 have said they will be going away on international duty - if it was all of them then what can you do but 4?!

about 125k weekly combined. Emi is only making 50k a week, which seems quite low.

Also just learned that Ings makes 120k a week.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

6 minutes ago, WHY said:

Agree, this will most likely piss the rest of the squad off as well. Can’t imagine it will go down well with fans either!

On Facebook (yeah I know) they are surprisingly right behind the 🇦🇷 2.

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I can't get this way of thinking. It's not our responsibility to pay a man millions and then have to sign a new player as cover so he can accomplish his international dreams. The whole world has had to make sacrifices because of this pandemic and people still do. 

I'm seriously leaning towards a **** them attitude to them both. I'll certainly have a lot less patience for future bad performances or mistakes if they choose to screw us over. 

You lose my support when Aston Villla are second best to you. 

This is a very valid point and one that is perhaps overlooked. 

The last two years have been a shit show, for everyone. People losing jobs, loved ones etc.

We pay these people millions so they can live the lives they and their families lead, the least they could do is respect our wishes as their employers to not travel. 

We paid £40m for Buendia and £20m for Martinez. Factor in their wages on top of that and we have invest a lot in these two individuals. It does seem a kick in the teeth that they’re leaving us. Part of me hopes they lose their places in the side as a result because the players deputising are excellent. 

This is where we need a good number 2 like Heaton. Someone who could come in, do well and take their chance and the shirt. Martinez knows he can go and get the starting place right back. I bet he wouldn't be going if Heaton was still here and fully fit.

Buendia also- I mean we started a 17 year old today, they know they can do what they want.

6 minutes ago, jim said:

On Facebook (yeah I know) they are surprisingly right behind the 🇦🇷 2.

I was surprised at how many of our own players were behind Grealish's move to City. Footballers tend to be more supportive of what's good for their (and other player's) careers than their club, sadly for us.

Edited by His Name Is Death

2 minutes ago, maxjackle said:

This is where we need a good number 2 like Heaton. Someone who could come in, do well and take their chance and the shirt. Martinez knows he can go and get the starting place right back. I bet he wouldn't be going if Heaton was still here and fully fit.

Buendia also- I mean we started a 17 year old today, they know they can do what they want.

Maybe not so much for Buendia with Traore, Bailey and Watkins to come back,   I still don’t get why the have to isolate for so long give they are tested so frequently 

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

We have to respect our players’ international ambitions. Blame FIFA, blame U.K. quarantine rules. I really don’t think the 2 Emis are doing anything wrong here, as frustrating as it is.

Over the ambition of our club? No chance. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I’m stunned at how many people across social media back them on this. They will be the first to use the excuse we are missing two of our best players if we don’t get results in the games they miss.

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

How does this work legally? FIFA said the PL could no longer block players from going off for international duty earlier this month but the PL did anyway. Are there not legal issues at hand here for the PL?

I think the COVID rules prevent FIFA taking any action.

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

We have to respect our players’ international ambitions. Blame FIFA, blame U.K. quarantine rules. I really don’t think the 2 Emis are doing anything wrong here, as frustrating as it is.

That’s fair enough but these are usual circumstances, if they weren’t ,there isn’t one person who would have a problem. They are going against the wishes of the club, not sure they could do much worse to be honest.

Edited by WHY

2 minutes ago, jim said:

I think the COVID rules prevent FIFA taking any action.

But that was the rule that was dropped. Prior to early August FIFA allowed PL teams to withhold players if the travel quarantine was longer than 5 days. But now they're saying that rule no longer exists so teams can't block players.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

I think that a compromise has to be found, or this will snowball into something that could completely derail our season. I don’t feel comfortable with the players being told that they flat out cannot play for their country, but when this overspill from the international break threatens our ambitions for the season then there is a problem. Can these fixtures not be played in a venue/country which doesn’t require quarantine afterwards?

What's the official word though? Last I could see, the FA said they couldn't go, then Infantino ASKED Boris Johnson to give them a pass and Boris said no.

So, with that said, they're not being released, right? The original FA rule stands.

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I mean, the tension between club and country has always been a feature of professional football.

We’ve always lost players to injuries picked up on international duty. This is no different really.

It’s not their fault the situation is such a mess.

Â