Emiliano Martínez

hippo

7 minutes ago, WooJung said:

I'd they willingly put themselves into a position in which they won't be able to do the work their employers pay them for, i.e. playing football for them, then they can be bomb-squadded as far as I'm concerned.

This is a massive f u to the club, especially from Martinez, who wouldn't even be in the squad if he hadn't come here, but also on Buendia, on who just broke a spending record.

If they go through with this then as far as I'm concerned they join the various McCormacs, Irelands and Lescotts of this world.

I think a lot will say this is OTT but I'm very close to being here as well. 

It's a huge two fingers up to the club. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WooJung said:

I'd they willingly put themselves into a position in which they won't be able to do the work their employers pay them for, i.e. playing football for them, then they can be bomb-squadded as far as I'm concerned.

This is a massive f u to the club, especially from Martinez, who wouldn't even be in the squad if he hadn't come here, but also on Buendia, on who just broke a spending record.

If they go through with this then as far as I'm concerned they join the various McCormacs, Irelands and Lescotts of this world.

Massively OTT.

This is a tough one. The players are in a ridiculous situation, if they do not go they risk never being asked again. We need the players badly too.

Way too many bloody internationals and friendlies these days but Argentina really should be picking the closest players to where they need them.

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

This is a tough one. The players are in a ridiculous situation, if they do not go they risk never being asked again. We need the players badly too.

Way too many bloody internationals and friendlies these days but Argentina really should be picking the closest players to where they need them.

I can’t say Im happy about the situation but I also understand him wanting to represent his country, how the would England set up  feel if your country wasn’t allowed to pick their best players? I don’t know what to think of it tbh it’s unfair on the club and players to have to sort it out , it’s put Martinez in a sh*t situation where he potentially looks bad at his club and if he refused to represent his country to look bad at home. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I can’t say Im happy about the situation but I also understand him wanting to represent his country, how the would England set up  feel if your country wasn’t allowed to pick their best players? I don’t know what to think of it tbh it’s unfair on the club and players to have to sort it out , it’s put Martinez in a sh*t situation where he potentially looks bad at his club and if he refused to represent his country to look bad at home. 

Only if you're a moron who doesn't actually understand what is going on in the world right now. 

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Only if you're a moron who doesn't actually understand what is going on in the world right now. 

Says all the English fans at games without masks and more positive covid cases than Argentina 

• Like 1

Taking off my claret and blue specs for a minute.. he has more chance of winning big things with Argentina as he has proven already. Add in a short lived career - plus the fact it took him a while to get the number one spot. I can see why he wants to go. Obviously for us it’s bad news and you could argue he wouldn’t be number one without us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Taking off my claret and blue specs for a minute.. he has more chance of winning big things with Argentina as he has proven already. Add in a short lived career - plus the fact it took him a while to get the number one spot. I can see why he wants to go. Obviously for us it’s bad news and you could argue he wouldn’t be number one without us. 

We don't need to. We pay him money to play games for us. 

It's why he's a professional footballer.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

Says all the English fans at games without masks and more positive covid cases than Argentina 

You have me wrong, I'm not suggesting any of it makes sense. It doesn't and that's kinda the point.

He will potentially miss 3 games for the club who pay his wages, the club who picked him up and took him to where he is, as Argentina's Copa America winning goalkeeper. Through no fault of his or ours. If you, as this hypothetical Argentina fan, were to think bad of him for following his clubs wishes and staying at home, then perhaps a lobotomy is in order. 

• Like 1

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

Maybe the club won’t pay for him the period he is off. It wouldn’t surprise me if a compromise of some sort was to be found.

Frankly I think the last thing they care about is the money. With the challenges we are currently facing, the very last thing we need come Chelsea away is to have to field our literal championship backline in Steer, Tuanzebe and Hause. 

• Like 1

Can't we do some sort of deal when he plays the first two games and then flies back. I mean they play Brazil on Sunday 5th Sept and then play Bolvia at home which is one of their easiest games of the qualification round.

Even without quarantine he'd have to miss the Chelsea game anyway given that one is kicking off at 12.30am on Friday morning.

They were playing the River plate guy up to start of June so not like they have no one else (Musso in Serie A is also a very capable keeper).

Buendia probably will just bench warm for the three games, maybe get a sub cameo.

It's frustrating but then the South American lads really really love playing for their countries.

Â