Emiliano Martínez

hippo

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Frankly I think the last thing they care about is the money. With the challenges we are currently facing, the very last thing we need come Chelsea away is to have to field our literal championship backline in Steer, Tuanzebe and Hause. 

He wouldn't play v Chelsea anyway even if this quarantine wasn't a thing. Argentina play Bolivia at 12.30am on Friday 10th September and we play Chelsea the following day. So unless people think he can just stop off a plane at Heathrow after 16 hour trip and get driven to Stamford Bridge and concentrate for 90 minutes v world class attack then good luck with that, Steer will have to do and hope he has inspired game.

The key here is making sure he just misses one game as opposed to three which would be ridiculous. As said above a compromise can be found here if all parties are sensible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You have me wrong, I'm not suggesting any of it makes sense. It doesn't and that's kinda the point.

He will potentially miss 3 games for the club who pay his wages, the club who picked him up and took him to where he is, as Argentina's Copa America winning goalkeeper. Through no fault of his or ours. If you, as this hypothetical Argentina fan, were to think bad of him for following his clubs wishes and staying at home, then perhaps a lobotomy is in order. 

I gave arguments from both perspectives, You only have to look at our own fanbase turning on him to see it’s obvious his own country would do the same, people in general are illogical,  37k positive cases in Uk today 27k in England alone , only 7k in Argentina. Bizarre 

• Like 1

Just now, gwi1890 said:

I gave arguments from both perspectives, You only have to look at our own fanbase turning on him to see it’s obvious his own country would do the same, people in general are illogical,  37k positive cases in Uk today 27k in England alone , only 7k in Argentina. Bizarre 

You should never make your decisions based on what morons might think. 

It doesn't make sense, no. But I stopped trying to make sense of their rules a long, long time ago. 

55 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

So we'll possibly be losing three starters then? Man what a mess.

Last time I looked Luiz hadn't been picked for Brazil so he'll be o.k for Chelsea unless that's changed in last few days. Get the feeling we picked up the phone and requested he was "rested" for these games considering he was in their Copa and Olympics squads so that's the sort of joined up thinking needed here with the two Emi's.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He wouldn't play v Chelsea anyway even if this quarantine wasn't a thing. Argentina play Bolivia at 12.30am on Friday 10th September and we play Chelsea the following day. So unless people think he can just stop off a plane at Heathrow after 16 hour trip and get driven to Stamford Bridge and concentrate for 90 minutes v world class attack then good luck with that, Steer will have to do and hope he has inspired game.

The key here is making sure he just misses one game as opposed to three which would be ridiculous. As said above a compromise can be found here if all parties are sensible.

Precisely, if he plays vs Venezulea and Brazil  travels back after brazil how many games does he miss?

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I was not aware of this. Which idiot scheduled that and how do we go about jettisoning them into the sea?

As it stands ourselves and Spurs are only prem clubs providing players to Argentina squad. Spurs have Romero the CB and Lo Celso in so interested what they do, I imagine Purslow is watching what Levy decides.

Argentina have Rulli of Villareal, Armani of River Plate and Musso who's just joined Atalanta as other keepers so for once with them it's a highly quality set of keepers.

There's a logical solution here. We need to push for it.

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Precisely, if he plays vs Venezulea and Brazil  travels back after brazil how many games does he miss?

Just Chelsea away I guess. Would return here Monday afternoon (6th) as plenty of flights to U.K from Brazil, do his 10 days and would return to training on the Thursday before the Everton game so surely would be in contention for that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I was not aware of this. Which idiot scheduled that and how do we go about jettisoning them into the sea?

Yeah it's ridiculous. Commebol had to call off loads of matches due to covid in last year but there's little space left to fit them in with just over a year to World cup.

They usually just play two rounds on Thursday-Friday- Tuesday so plenty of time for players to get back to europe for the following weekend games.

Like europe though they've put in a triple header and given the vast distance of say Chile to Venezuela decided another 24 hours is needed rather than just play them on the Wednesday evening.

Full schedule is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CONMEBOL)

Notice two games in late Jan-early Feb so that will impact on us aswell although think a winter break may be happening then. Think African cup of nations is also being played around that time so we will lose a few players from our squad for a few weeks.

Shaping up to being a very disjointed season for us.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just Chelsea away I guess. Would return here Monday afternoon (6th) as plenty of flights to U.K from Brazil, do his 10 days and would return to training on the Thursday before the Everton game so surely would be in contention for that.

Considering as you say he wouldn't be able to play against Chelsea regardless, this has to be the sensible middle ground here? For both him and Buendia?

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

This seems very reasonable. With our luck this year I don't see that happening lol. I can't imagine an agreement was reached anyway considering the statement put out by the club and by Dean. I would think Dean would've said something about that if it was the case.

However crazy the quarantine rules may be, they are the rules all Premier League clubs have to operate within. 

If the Emi’s are happy to go against the government mandated instructions of their employer to fulfill their own desires, they make a mockery of their contractual commitments. 

There’s little we can do about it so close to the end of the window, but the Emi’s will rightly be gone next summer if they deliberately rule themselves out of 10 games this season. 

If Heats had stayed he’d be our No.1 again. No player is bigger than the club. 

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

However crazy the quarantine rules may be, they are the rules all Premier League clubs have to operate within. 

If the Emi’s are happy to go against the government mandated instructions of their employer to fulfill their own desires, they make a mockery of their contractual commitments. 

There’s little we can do about it so close to the end of the window, but the Emi’s will rightly be gone next summer if they deliberately rule themselves out of 10 games this season. 

If Heats had stayed he’d be our No.1 again. No player is bigger than the club. 

There’s no way we spend 40m on a player and then ship him out the very next summer window. If the club finds it egregious enough they will fine them heavily at worst.

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

There’s no way we spend 40m on a player and then ship him out the very next summer window. If the club finds it egregious enough they will fine them heavily at worst.

If we don’t then it’s an admission that players can dictate to the manager. We can’t have that degree of disrespect to Deano, the squad and the club.

We’ll get our money back on Buendia and make money on Martinez, but as fans I don’t know how anyone views their behaviour as remotely acceptable - regardless of their talent. 

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

If we don’t then it’s an admission that players can dictate to the manager. We can’t have that degree of disrespect to Deano, the squad and the club.

We’ll get our money back on Buendia and make money on Martinez, but as fans I don’t know how anyone views their behaviour as remotely acceptable - regardless of their talent. 

You don’t think severe fines will get that message across, or even benching players?

Edited by Aston_Villan4

14 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

You don’t think severe fines will get that message across, or even benching players?

We can’t afford to bench either player because we don’t have sufficiently strong replacements - although I suppose we might get buy without Buendia. 

Transplant the Emi’s proposed abandonment of contractual commitments to their employer to employees in any other career. It’s not remotely acceptable or tenable behaviour. Their egos are running amok. F the pair of them if they go ahead with it. 

Edited by Awol

There quite simply has to be some sort of solution to this. If he and Buendia just stroll off to international duty over September, October and November and have to isolate every time then quite simply our season is **** and we might as well pack it in. 

It's an absolutely ridiculous decision. 

• Like 2

Â