Matty Cash

paul514

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Preferably a new CB of the same class as Mings, I think bringing in a new CB is as high priority as bringing in a new striker. I really like Konsa, but not convinced he is good enough at CB for us to be a top team. At RB I think he could be really good.

OK that makes sense.  I would like another CB as well in case Mings or Konsa get injured.  Not convinced that I feel confident about anyone on the bench stepping up and playing those last 8-10 fixtures...  Mind you a good striker and winger might mean that we aren't spending so much time defending for our lives knowing that a single mistake will almost certainly cost points.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I have to say Nick that I'm getting the same vibe about our reported targets as you are. Cash, Watkins and Swift are not kids with potential. They are playing to a decent level in the Championship already but it is a big step up to the Premier League. 

I said it earlier today that if you keep buying Championship players we will end up as Championship team. Now, that may prove to be wrong and these lads, if they all sign, may well make me eat my words - I certainly hope they do. But, I'm concerned by the reports of who we are aiming for, Rashica apart. Even Edouard doesn't convince me tgat he is the answer although he came through a good club in PSG. 

If we are spending £12m on Cash I'd rather we tried for someone like Denzel Dumfries at PSV Eindhoven as he has been in the team of the season for the last two seasons in the Eridivisie and can play both RB and RCB. He wouldn't cost much more than £12m and I'd feel a lot better about him than Cash. 

Maybe Smith wants some players who he has seen lots of first hand? Maybe he thinks they can settle in quicker and have no language barriers? 

You don’t want us to buy players from the Championship but you’re happy to buy from the Erdivisie. I’ll admit I don’t watch much (any) Dutch football but I’m not so sure the standard is any better than the Championship. I think your last paragraph is probably a good argument, certainly a factor. 

• Like 1

I think people are too dismissive of the need for a right-back as if that position doesn't matter, as good as Elmohamady as been if he's your best player in that position which he was last season then that's a sign that you need better, don't think he'd get in any other premier league side.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

My issue is that we brought quantity and projects last season and even Dean said we need to bring in quality this season.  So we assume there is 100m budget (maybe a bit more), were the names on your list to buy using a material amount of the budget....Watkins, Cash and maybe Swift?   Mine certainly wasn’t and that could be an outlay of 50m.  

Maybe Watkins can offer something to a blunt strike force but that’s not currently hard is it? Still a huge risk for him to be our main striker.  Then is Cash and Swift materially better than what we have......hmmmm.....it’s not an easy yes is it.

Feels like there is a lot of enthusiasm from a few people for these signings and I'm scratching my head thinking, er why 🤨 maybe if we were a Championship team trying to get promoted they would be great signings, but for a team trying to climb to midtable in the Prem I just cannot for the life of me see how they're going to do that. Buy Cash for £12m when we could potentially get Aarons at £20m. Buy Swift after being linked with McKennie and Grujic, another step down. I think I'd rather McCarthy from Palace than Swift which is saying something. We've been linked all summer with Watkins, yet I don't understand why we don't pay a bit more for Edouard who is younger and already better.

It just seems to me that we've been sold another lie about the so-called quality we're bringing in and we just don't seem to learn. 

• Like 3

Just now, Villarocker said:

I was thinking he may go 5-3-2 with Jack playing behind the two strikers. 

That would be my preference but DS really doesn’t like playing two STs up front.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Feels like there is a lot of enthusiasm from a few people for these signings and I'm scratching my head thinking, er why 🤨 maybe if we were a Championship team trying to get promoted they would be great signings, but for a team trying to climb to midtable in the Prem I just cannot for the life of me see how they're going to do that. Buy Cash for £12m when we could potentially get Aarons at £20m. Buy Swift after being linked with McKennie and Grujic, another step down. I think I'd rather McCarthy from Palace than Swift which is saying something. We've been linked all summer with Watkins, yet I don't understand why we don't pay a bit more for Edouard who is younger and already better.

It just seems to me that we've been sold another lie about the so-called quality we're bringing in and we just don't seem to learn. 

I agree.  I don’t know whether people are dying for any signing now so are happy or what.  I thought we wanted to progress, to aim for mid table team.  We just avoided relegation partly down to a remarkable last 4 game miracle.  We have struggled all season and the hope was to get to the end of the season to get some quality in and now after initial hope and links we are starting to get links to these type of players.  I hope it’s just a few and then the quality follows otherwise next season is going to be as hard as this season.

i can’t believe how critical people were of this team just before lockdown, during lockdown and a few games back.  We are doomed, we will be cut adrift, we don’t have quality aside from Jack.  I went against the grain and said we’d stay up but jeez it was close but my heart is sinking thinking we haven’t learnt and we are just bringing in the same level of talent.  Now everybody else is happy with these kind of players coming in....

18 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I have to say Nick that I'm getting the same vibe about our reported targets as you are. Cash, Watkins and Swift are not kids with potential. They are playing to a decent level in the Championship already but it is a big step up to the Premier League. 

I said it earlier today that if you keep buying Championship players we will end up as Championship team. Now, that may prove to be wrong and these lads, if they all sign, may well make me eat my words - I certainly hope they do. But, I'm concerned by the reports of who we are aiming for, Rashica apart. Even Edouard doesn't convince me tgat he is the answer although he came through a good club in PSG. 

If we are spending £12m on Cash I'd rather we tried for someone like Denzel Dumfries at PSV Eindhoven as he has been in the team of the season for the last two seasons in the Eridivisie and can play both RB and RCB. He wouldn't cost much more than £12m and I'd feel a lot better about him than Cash. 

Maybe Smith wants some players who he has seen lots of first hand? Maybe he thinks they can settle in quicker and have no language barriers? 

If you buy bog-standard Championship players I'd agree. However, Forest fans (biased perhaps), think Cash is the best RB in the Championship. Watkins scored 26 goals there. Benrahma made defences look redundant. We're not buying average players. 

Is the Championship weaker than Ligue 1? Eredivisie? The Serbian, Croatian or Scandinavian leagues? Many a world star started in those leagues. If Matty Cash was Matheus Cashfu from Brazil, would we be saying he's not good enough?

I just want Villa to buy the best players they can, with as much potential as possible. Where they come from is irrelevant.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

If you buy bog-standard Championship players I'd agree. However, Forest fans (biased perhaps), think Cash is the best RB in the Championship. Watkins scored 26 goals there. Benrahma made defences look redundant. We're not buying average players. 

Is the Championship weaker than Ligue 1? Eredivisie? The Serbian, Croatian or Scandinavian leagues? Many a world star started in those leagues. If Matty Cash was Matheus Cashfu from Brazil, would we be saying he's not good enough?

I just want Villa to buy the best players they can, with as much potential as possible. Where they come from is irrelevant.

I agree with the last paragraph but I think it contradicts in my eyes the paragraphs prior to it.  That’s just my opinion though....feel like we have stacks of cash but shopping for the best items in Poundland.

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

It’s a shame it’s not Jonny as we could’ve made some puerile jokes about condom machines and giggled the weekend away

A puerile joke? How dare you insult VT in such a way.  We are above such baseness. 

Just now, nick76 said:

I agree with the last paragraph but I think it contradicts in my eyes the paragraphs prior to it.  That’s just my opinion though....feel like we have stacks of cash but shopping for the best items in Poundland.

Yet again people massively underestimating process of getting deals across the line especially in Covid environment and implying the club are being cheapskates. Absolute nonsense

• Confused 1

If we can get him for £12m, then that would be a very good deal in my opinion. I can see why we may have been looking at this position and with Guilbert, along with Elmo, we will have decent cover on the beach. Cash and Aarons, stood out for me, of the potentially available players in that position, so landing one of them would be a fine start to the window. I doubt that getting a right back was one of our biggest signing priorities, but I guess our owners made some extra money available, to get this one done, rather than see him move elsewhere. 

Now to sign a striker, 2 wide players and a midfield player for around £25m - £30m each. Buendia next, would be nice.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Important bit I think is "they can". We can want any player, but the best, or proven to be excellent, may have higher desires than 17th in the league.

All the money in the world won't buy Rashica if he just doesn't want to come to B6.

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Yet again people massively underestimating process of getting deals across the line especially in Covid environment and implying the club are being cheapskates. Absolute nonsense

Think you are commenting on the wrong comment.  I haven’t mentioned process at all.  As for cheapskates I mention that because we should be shopping for quality not in crap shops (wasn’t inferring cheapness just quality).  These players mentioned are definitely not cheap especially compared to their quality.

Why are we trying to buy the best of the Championship who are very expensive we should be buying quality players.  We have the money but we are spending it on overinflated priced in cheap stores/leagues.

Â