Matty Cash

paul514

It's a good signing for us. Adds quality in depth and probably a player that can be in contention for a first eleven slot. 

Not the exciting statement signing people are desperate for, but it's a signing that can do a job and doesn't need a whole lot of bedding in. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Some people on this board have forgotten the time we acted like a big club and bought top young english players.  It feels strange and alien to them. They'd rather we haggle over a few mill and sign donkeys from Belgium quoting moneyball and resale value.

Nobody on this board knows how the negotiations went, what the start or end price was.

I’d also be amazed if anyone would be keen on repeating the experiment of buying relatively unknown players from the Jupiler league.

Edited by Genie

If this signing had been announced after the signing of say, Rashica, Watkins and Edouard then I think we would be all pretty happy with this but because it's our first and probably in one of the positions we thought we were "ok" in, I think some are less enthused.

Taking the transfer on it's own merit I think he's a decent signing, at a good age, with scope for improvement and Forest fans rate him highly too which is good enough for me.

I think he comes in as first choice RB with Guilbert and Elmo providing competition ( I'd keep Elmo for one more season).

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nobody on this board knows how the negotiations went, what the start or end price was.

I’d also be amazed if anyone would be keen on repeating the experiment of buying relatively unknown players from the Jupiter league.

Some of these players are out of this world then!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Heaton
Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett

England Flag gif | England flag, Flag gif, Flag

Nearly rivalling John Gregory's all English Line Up in 1999!!! 

UTV!!

There hasn't been a Premier League starting XI featuring 11 English players since February 27, 1999, when John Gregory named a line-up of Michael Oakes, Steve Watson, Gareth Southgate, Dion Dublin, Simon Grayson, Ricardo Scimeca, Alan Wright, Lee Hendrie, Paul Merson, Ian Taylor and Julian Joachim against Coventry City

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

How are we sure he's going to be better than Gulibert or AEM out of interest? I know we have 0% chance of signing him but you'd know Kieran Tripper would make us better given he was one of best full backs at last world cup and played 40 + games for Atletico Madrid this season.

Gulibert had similar pedigree in ligue 2 for Caen and then played in top division for a season before we signed him. Had some good games last season and also some shockers. AEM vastly experienced in championship and a good steady pro to have around even at this level.

I imagine he'll probably have similar impact to Konsa, come in play a few games, go out of the team and then hopefully look better in last few months of the season.

Curious how good a one v one defender he is. Saw highlights of Forest's final game v Stoke when they collapsed and they conceded a couple of goals from Stoke's wide players running at them although can't be sure if it came from Cash's side.

He played in a very defensively rigid team down there so will be a challenge for him to step up and also play in more open style of play.

Exactly. We don't know at all if this actual improves us at all. Players have shone in the Championship and been found out in the Prem, just look at Gayle as a prime example. Guilbert is a perfectly ok RB, the sort of player who would be the best RB in the Champ imo, so this it's tricky to truly understand why we've paid £14m here unless we absolutely know we are getting an upgrade on what we have now. Obviously Trippier would be but is unlikely - however, there are plenty of more proven RBs we could have spent similar money on. 

Obviously this is the first signing and we could still bring in players who actually 100% do improve us, but you can see why so many fans of other clubs (and even Forest fans) are saying we're favourites to go down for a reason. Leeds are newly promoted and have signed a current Germany and Spain international FFS and might well soon sign De Paul a current Argentina player.

We were warned by staying up by default last season that we need to spend our money wisely and ambitiously this summer, sadly I don't think the club ever seems to heed such warnings or learn its lesson.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

If this signing had been announced after the signing of say, Rashica, Watkins and Edouard then I think we would be all pretty happy with this but because it's our first and probably in one of the positions we thought we were "ok" in, I think some are less enthused.

Taking the transfer on it's own merit I think he's a decent signing, at a good age, with scope for improvement and Forest fans rate him highly too which is good enough for me.

I think he comes in as first choice RB with Guilbert and Elmo providing competition ( I'd keep Elmo for one more season).

Can he cover at left back when Targget is injured

34 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Why?  Because he's English and we didn't pluck him out of the French 2nd division?  A MON signing would be Fredericks from West Ham for 25 Million in today's prices...

Nah because he's English and we're probably paying £5m too much and more than trebling his wages.

Hopefully he can do the business like many did in Martin O'Neill squads.

Not my money but it's steep. £11-14m for Targett was too much and he's technically better than Cash.

If he can keep his confidence high he'll be fine.

34 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

When was that? Deadly's time?

Milner, Downing, Reo Coker and Young was one of the best prospects in championship when we signed him. Curtis Davies was also a Konsa type when we signed him (probably more rated as he played that season in prem with West Brom) but never met expectations for on reason or another.

Never seen him play (or at least I DJ t recall him against us), and for a championship fullback it does seem a lot of money. But fullbacks are vital to the way Smith wants to play and therefore if he sees Cash as a good addition (which going on numerous buds you’d say so) we put our faith in him. Hopefully this opens the door and we get a couple more through the door

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think Percy is right this has progressed and looks like we’ve got him ahead of a number of other clubs including West Ham, that isn’t a guarantee of anything but I always prefer it when other clubs have been in for a player.

On Cash I posted my thoughts on him previously, wouldn’t have been my first choice (Aarons) but I think he is a very solid if unspectacular addition.

It is a lot of money for a RB from the Championship (a new record in fact for that position) but potentially a bargain in this market.

The one thing I would add is he has only really consistently played RB this season so I do wonder if his ability to also play midfield will proved useful at times.

I know this isn’t the signal of intent or ambition we perhaps all wanted but it’s a good solid and sensible signing.

I’m not sure.  

He’s had plaudits for his offensive abilities but has been known to be not so good defensively from positional sense to tackling with his pace helping him out sometimes.  

In the PL this will be found out by the quality from the left wingers/forwards in the PL at the moment.  I mean you think who plays in those positions from Rashford, Sterling, Mane, Aubameyang....just keeps going team after team.  Out of position and we will be destroyed and pace won’t help him against their pace.  

So not a solid signing for me.  A ‘potential’ signing certainly but it’s a risk whether he’ll step up to PL and whether he’ll improve his awareness quickly enough.  I’m still not sure this is an upgrade on Guilbert to be honest.

• Haha 1

Â