Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

50 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

He's a good player, definitely worth £18m, happy if we bought him.

We really need a quicker option in that front 3 though. Someone who can nick a goal against the run of play on the counter. Did we score a single counter attack goal this season?

First game of the season. Can’t remember any after that.

Would've liked to see him go up with Brentford. 

Like what they have done there in recent seasons and be interesting to see if that stats focused approach could work in the top flight.  Fulham have had multiple chances and offered very little. 

The Brentford  plan still might work, but it's harder when you increasingly lose your best players. If we had gone down we'd have most likely lost Grealish, McGinn and Mings. I know that's the reality for most clubs but don't like to see it. Gives you precious little time to build anything of note before the vultures come circling. 

If there's serious interest from us in this one, the Smith factor might swing it. That could equally go against us as well: They might go all weird like that Bristol mob and buzz off selling to any club other than us. Have a feeling he'll end up at Leeds. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

First game of the season. Can’t remember any after that.

Even that one's arguable. We knocked it around at the back a bit, launched it, and their back line were too high. Not exactly a vintage breakaway goal. (To be fair, teams score far fewer genuine counter goals now because of tactical fouls.)

• Like 1

Reminds me a bit of a Rashford type player. Good finisher that is also a solid wide forward. Obviously the free kick bit isn't there, but he looks like a very hard worker and will run all day.

Really wanted Maupay last summer following a very good goal scoring season, as much because he is hassles defenders a lot, which can lead to mistakes.

The thing about Watkins is he that he doesn't seem to be a prick like Maupay sometimes does.

The question is, are we going to do anything more than struggle again next season if we're buying players from the Championship? I can see the same arguments between fellow Villans if we do struggle next season, those defending Smith saying what do you expect when he's buying from the Championship, and those arguing Smith isn't a big enough manager to attract big names in European football.

Another question is why bring in a new Sporting Director who is supposed to help us identify potential top talent, and then just go and spend our money on Brentford players who Smith already knows?

Example - Rashica has a buy out clause of £33mil. He's proven in a top league (Germany). He would almost certainly improve our first eleven by a significant amount. He's wanted by other clubs who are no doubt in a better position than us currently in the football pyramid, but ultimately we won't get anywhere until we can bring players of this calibre in. 

That's the way I see it.

• Like 2

Surprised at his ability to get his head on the ball for his relatively small stature.

I think he fits what Smith wants as a hybrid wing/striker. Love his pace and hold up ability. Kind of worried about his finishing, I don't see much with his feet.

But getting a good, young English player for 18m? I'd LOVE it on sheer economics alone.

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

The thing I like about Watkins is that he covers all the front 3 positions. I’d like us to sign him as well as 1 more striker and 2 more wingers, giving us a good set of options.

However, on the admittedly limited times that I’ve watched him in full matches, I’ve never thought he was amazing. I thought he was just a good Championship player, but I’ll take the word of people who have watched him more than me if he is as good as people say!

I'd prefer karlan grant to Watkins. Younger, more assists, proven he can do it in the premier league and so many of his strikes are unstoppable. 

In fact there 25 players in the Premier league that scored 10 or more last season. 

7 of them played for teams in lower leagues! 9 if you include Harry Kane and Abraham.

That’s not bad numbers.

Edit: 10 if you include Mahrez.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

This does concern me. 

10 goals in each of the 2 seasons before this one then 26 in this season.  So basically buy a Brentford striker on the back of 1 good year. 

I can smell the Hogan's gently sizzling on the barbecue from here. 

He was out wide for those two seasons. Then moved to striker this year.

10 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Sky are stating the release clause is “wide off the mark” hmm at £18m - £20m sure anything above that and well....

Suspect SSN are just reading the Brentford forum where most posters claim this. 

About 4 years too late, I was banging on about Watkins years ago and that we should have got him especially when we got relegated.

18 million it will cost now. A wide player converted to centre forward over the last few seasons and has adapted very well.

Always was skillful and had that bit of pace to get away from his marker, he has also filled out a bit now so adds the physical side of the game he didn't use to have.

Would still get him now, just a shame we didn't get him when we could have

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

He only played a handful of games didn't he?

Played 13 games in the prem and scored 5 goals. But he was playing for a Huddersfield team that scored 22 goals that season. In other words he scored about a quarter of their goals in a third of a season. And he has been great in the championship with 19 goals for a similarly anemic Huddersfield attack. He is their only player who can really do anything (plus he takes corners which we need if we don't want to play hourihane) 

• Like 1

Â