Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

If Watkins is the 2nd of two CF purchases this summer then fair enough. I’d be worried though if there wasn’t a much better CF lined up. 

This. Watkins would be a great signing if we're bringing in another quality striker as well. Would be a big risk if we were to just sign Watkins, even though I think he would still do well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Guilbert has liked the villareport tweet about Watkins as well as the Aarons tweet for what it's worth 

I love the idea of Guilbert sitting there bored out of his brains, liking tweets left right and centre knowing it will have people in a spin. Strikes me as the kind of guy that's a bit of a wind up merchant (in a good way) so not sure if I'll read much into what he does. 

• Like 1

Would be very disappointed if he signs. I get he'd be good backup but no way he'd be signing for 18m as a back up (he'll be back up to Wes within a few months). I like his work rate but the key for me is look at his goals and where he puts his shots. 80% of them would get saved in the Prem, the standard of keeping is much better.

I'd be snapping Celtics hand off for Edouard. Yes it's a worse league but you can tell from watching him he's a much more natural finisher, 2 years younger and think he's got what it takes to be successful in the Prem. Only would be happy if Watkins was brought in to play off the wing, Dean made that clear last night he see's him as a striker so this wouldn't happen.

And I'm not just saying this because he had a bad game yesterday, would happily take Benrahma.     

• Like 1

It could be that rather than siging two wingers and a forward, we're going to sign one winger and one centre-forward, and in addition Watkins who can cover both positions. If Grealish stays we'd only need one winger for the first team.

This does concern me. 

10 goals in each of the 2 seasons before this one then 26 in this season.  So basically buy a Brentford striker on the back of 1 good year. 

I can smell the Hogan's gently sizzling on the barbecue from here. 

2 hours ago, meregreen said:

The Championship is a higher level than the Scottish Premiership IMO.

Without a doubt, and I don't think it's particularly close either.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

Remember to stay humble Villatalk, 

How we meant to win the PL next year with players like this?

:trollface:

31 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Thought him and Benrahma were pretty shite last night in Brentford’s biggest ever match.

I was hoping we’d be aiming higher than this but what do I know.

So was Grealish in the playoff final we lost against Fulham.

The amount of people writing this potential transfer off because of last night's performance is odd.

I mean he was crap last night, as was Benrahma. But they're both very good players. We shouldn't be judging players on one game.

• Like 3

I'm in agreement with a lot of others on here that he's a decent signing at the price, but if he's coming in to be our big signing up front I'd be worried. We need someone proven in that area - I've always said I wanted Tammy but even someone like King or Wilson, or Edouard who has been mentioned a fair bit, is more proven than Watkins. He's had a great season, scored 26 goals in the Championship, but it seems a risk given he's not that young and it's his first season being prolific. I think I'd pursue Eze and Benrahma from the Championship over anyone else right now, as they're the best talents down there imo. 

We'll see how this plays out. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

This does concern me. 

10 goals in each of the 2 seasons before this one then 26 in this season.  So basically buy a Brentford striker on the back of 1 good year. 

I can smell the Hogan's gently sizzling on the barbecue from here. 

He wasn't playing as a striker before this season

• Like 1

Â