Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Our strikers are not missing tap ins, we don’t create chances like that. 

Because we don't have strikers that are getting into those positions. It's our wingers and midfielders who get most of the chances. We already saw what it's like to have Abraham in a Villa side that's creating chances. He never scored any goals outside the box, but he was still excellent.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

Just now, Chindie said:

£25m would be utter, utter madness.

We paid almost that much for an unproven 22 year old from the Belgian league. 

It's probably a bit on the expensive side (20m seems about right), but I wouldn't call it utter madness. Seems to be around the going rate for exceptional Championship players these days.

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

We paid almost that much for an unproven 22 year old from the Belgian league. 

And that was madness and has shown itself to be some of the worst business this club has ever conducted, along with the likes of Bosko Balaban. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I have said on many occasions that I don't watch hardly any football that doesn't involve ourselves, so this probably won't come as a surprise to many, but for some reason I thought Watkins was a little blonde kid. 

I was at least 30 seconds into the YouTube video before realising that I'm a complete tool. 

Note to VT members -  just ignore anything I post about other teams players because the chances are we aren't even talking about the same person 😁

Leading goal scorers in the championship over the last ten seasons have been... Nicky Maynard, Danny Graham, Rickie Lambert, Glenn Murray, Ross McCormack, Daryl Murphy, Andre Gray, Chris Wood, Matej Vydra, Teemu Pukki, and Mitrovic... None of them have really been all that impressive at premier league level, Mitrovic gets talked about a lot but his record the last time Fulham were in the premier league wasn't much better than Wesley's, you could say the same for Maupay and Gayle as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

£25m would be utter, utter madness.

As you may have guessed from my post above, I haven't watched Watkins play so this isn't an endorsement of him, or a pop at you pal. 

But I have seen posters on here suggesting we bid £30m for the boy at Celtic, and I think that SPL is probably a lower grade of competition than the championship. It sounds like a staggering amount of money but I wonder if it's simply "the going rate" 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

And that was madness and has shown itself to be some of the worst business this club has ever conducted, along with the likes of Bosko Balaban. 

Not even close, he still has resale value, even after a serious injury. Just in the past few years alone we've had Ross McCormack, Aaron Tshibola, Micah Richards etc. Besides, the fee was hiked up to facilitate a work permit.

Point is, it seems to be the going rate for young strikers right now. Neal Maupay went for around 20m with less time on his contract, with an almost identical scoring record that season to Watkins' this season. I think 20m is a fair price, but an extra 5 million isn't exactly outrageous.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Leading goal scorers in the championship over the last ten seasons have been... Nicky Maynard, Danny Graham, Rickie Lambert, Glenn Murray, Ross McCormack, Daryl Murphy, Andre Gray, Chris Wood, Matej Vydra, Teemu Pukki, and Mitrovic... None of them have really been all that impressive at premier league level, Mitrovic gets talked about a lot but his record the last time Fulham were in the premier league wasn't much better than Wesley's, you could say the same for Maupay and Gayle as well.

We should sign Glenn Murray he could still do a job for us 😉

Scott Hogan got 7 in 17 for Small Heath... and he scored 14 in 25 for Brentford before we bought him.

Olly Watkins got 25 in 46 for Brentford....

We gave them £12m for Hogan and people are in a rush to hand over £25m for Watkins.

Im not making any sort of comparison between the two players, their ability, qualities etc just highlighting the similarity in the numbers.

Have to say I’d be very very nervous handing them another £25m for Watkins.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Scott Hogan got 7 in 17 for Small Heath... and he scored 14 in 25 for Brentford before we bought him.

We gave them £12m for Hogan and people are in a rush to hand over £25m for Watkins.

Im not making any sort of comparison between the two players, their ability, qualities etc just highlighting the similarity in the numbers.

Oh you were talking about Hogan and Konsa fees combined!?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Hogan was always a weak, fox in the box type player with nothing going for him apart from his finishing. Can't hold up the ball, can't dribble, terrible first touch etc. For anybody who did their homework beyond "ooh he's on a purple patch, let's sign him!" would probably sus out that he can't really make a step up.

Watkins has been highly rated for years now and done his due diligence and has a lot more to his game than just scoring. Plus Dean Smith would know him very well and would have an idea of whether or not he could make the step up (similar to Konsa). If we are actually in for him I'd be much more confident of handing Brentford the money for Watkins than when we did for Hogan.

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not even close

Name me 10 worse value for money signings. In fact, name me 5. 

The example of Wes is hilarious cause he's a horrible piece of business by this club and has been absolutely shocking for his Villa career so far. Should we venture back to the general consensus in the Wesley thread 6-12 months ago? 

Swear the longer players are injured on this forum the better they get. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

Â