Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Scott Hogan got 7 in 17 for Small Heath... and he scored 14 in 25 for Brentford before we bought him.

Olly Watkins got 25 in 46 for Brentford....

We gave them £12m for Hogan and people are in a rush to hand over £25m for Watkins.

Im not making any sort of comparison between the two players, their ability, qualities etc just highlighting the similarity in the numbers.

Have to say I’d be very very nervous handing them another £25m for Watkins.

The Hogan deal really shouldn't influence this , different coaching staff and different player , Smith knows the player 

Just now, Keyblade said:

Hogan was always a weak, fox in the box type player with nothing going for him apart from his finishing. Can't hold up the ball, can't dribble, terrible first touch etc. For anybody who did their homework beyond "ooh he's on a purple patch, let's sign him!" would probably sus out that he can't really make a step up.

Watkins has been highly rated for years now and done his due diligence and has a lot more to his game than just scoring. Plus Dean Smith would know him very well and would have an idea of whether or not he could make the step up (similar to Konsa). If we are actually in for him I'd be much more confident of handing Brentford the money for Watkins than when we did for Hogan.

As I said, wasn’t comparing the players.

I said similar re Smith earlier but I’d still be very wary of the deal at that price on his numbers.

If  the owners want to pump 300m into the club this season..than by all means take watkins for 20m..If not....dont sign him..benhrama the same..We cant be held to ransom for what in reality are 2 championship players.

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Name me 10 worse value for money signings. In fact, name me 5. 

The example of Wes is hilarious cause he's a horrible piece of business by this club and has been absolutely shocking for his Villa transfer so far. Should we venture back to the general consensus in the Wesley thread 6-12 months ago? 

Swear the longer players are injured on this forum the better they get. 

Uh sure:

Ross McCormack

Micah Richards

Charles N'Zogbia

Aaron Tshibola

Scott Hogan

He's not exactly Ronaldo, but he's not our worst piece of business even in the last decade. Besides, I'm not sure how you could even conclude such a thing after a truncated debut season. Not liking the player isn't the same as their signing being bad business. But that's going off topic, he was just an example of the going rate for young strikers. Whether or not the player in question is worth it is another issue.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Lomaski said:

That YouTube video is very unimpressive. Predominantly tap-ins and 6 yard line headers. Not one goal (in the first half of the video, got bored after that) was self created and we just aren't going to give him that level of service and chances on a plate. If we sign two great wingers then he might be an option off the bench, but not for 20+ million for me.

I was thinking, if only our strikers could score those six yard headers. On that alone he's definitely a massive improvement on what we have!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Lomaski said:

That YouTube video is very unimpressive. Predominantly tap-ins and 6 yard line headers. Not one goal (in the first half of the video, got bored after that) was self created and we just aren't going to give him that level of service and chances on a plate. If we sign two great wingers then he might be an option off the bench, but not for 20+ million for me.

Double post.

Edited by Rolta

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Uh sure:

Ross McCormack

Micah Richards

Charles N'Zogbia

Aaron Tshibola

Scott Hogan

N'Zogbia was in terms for value for money a miles better purchase than Wes. Not comperable. 

The 4 others are comperable mind. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

And that was madness and has shown itself to be some of the worst business this club has ever conducted, along with the likes of Bosko Balaban. 

Silly comment!

He’s only had half a season in a new league, new language, new set up and in a poor team.  Wes did fine...looking forward to see if he progresses next season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blunther said:

I don't know why people are saying they'd be happy with this if we buy two strikers. We won't be buying two, we have Wes coming back and play one up front. I'm expecting one striker coming in. I think those expecting two will be disappointed. 

It will be 1 striker and either a winger who can play upfront or a striker who can play out wide. 

10 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

N'Zogbia was in terms for value for money a miles better purchase than Wes. Not comperable. 

The 4 others are comperable mind. 

Did Wes kidnap your kid or something? Your hatred for him is baffling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Did Wes kidnap your kid or something? Your hatred for him is baffling. 

Nah. I give a realistic picture of his time in a Villa shirt when people blow smoke up his arse and pretend he's worth the money we paid, when he quite clearly isn't. When people of other clubs talk about awful strikers signed last transfer window or awful purchases in general, Wes always pops up. For a reason. They’ve seen him play. 

When someone then uses the signing of Wes to argue we should buy another striker for £ 20 million +, that's when I just don't agree or follow. In retrospect you can be assured everyone at the club knows it was poor business. Probably one of the reasons Jesus got replaced as well. 

Nothing to do with hatred. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No but it’s a valid point.

Jota was a gamble. But I think overall he has been a net neutral signing. He had an injury which obviously didn't help. He got us a win in one of the few games he played. I think he has been a good influence on Jack and has helped wesley and Luiz to settle because he could speak both English and Portuguese. I also imagine we could sell him for 5 mil plus. And make our money back on a player who had been consistently performing as among the best players in the championship in the last few seasons. 

Â