Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Does he have the ability or potential to be a top half PL player? Honest question as I've not watched him more than maybe twice.

Because that is the level we should be aiming for. We need a squad but £18m would still be a sizable chunk out of our alleged transfer budget. 

Still a possibility that we might raise some funds by selling players of course.

53 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

No I meant sign Watkins for 18m AND sign a good quality international striker on season long loan e.g. Rondon, Kevin Gamiero, Volland etc.

Plenty of better premier league teams than us do it so I don't understand why it's some impossible thing we can't attempt.

Then we have international striker as number one striker, Watkins out wide or moved upfront when first choice is injured and Samatta and Wes when he's back warming the bench and getting ten minutes and playing v Crewe in the league cup. And Davis out on loan hopefully scoring some goals.

That's how you improve and move towards the giddy heights of mid table rather than just gambling all the time on key positions.

Put it this way Southampton would've been relegated this season if they'd had Che Adams as number one striker. But they had Ings so Adams flopping a bit didn't really matter much and in any case Adams started to look a bit better at the end of the season.

22 goals for SHA in 18/19.

Ah yes I agree with that. We didn’t use the loan system very well at all last season and we can’t just ignore it as a matter of policy. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jim said:

Looks like Hogan MKII to me.

Brentford fan on this very forum has explained how different he is to Hogan. Not only are their playing styles very different, but the buying circumstances are very different also. If he fails it won't be because he is Hogan mk2. Similarities end at them both having played for Brentford

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 4

I can only go by YouTube videos as I haven't seen any Brentford games, but I would be a little underwhelmed. 

Many of the goals he scores in the videos are more indicative of how poor defenses are in the championship than anything. In the prem I can't see him getting many chances like the ones he's been putting away at Brentford 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Would he be happy to return to being a winger? 

Is he better as a forward or winger? 

Going from Brentford to Villa, with a sizeable wage increase, I suspect he'd be happy to be a goalie nevermind playing wide in a front three. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, WooJung said:

I can only go by YouTube videos as I haven't seen any Brentford games, but I would be a little underwhelmed. 

Many of the goals he scores in the videos are more indicative of how poor defenses are in the championship than anything. In the prem I can't see him getting many chances like the ones he's been putting away at Brentford 

Yeah, I've only watched the youtube vids, and the playoff final.

But while I agree with your point about poor defences I like the look of this lad.  You see him score comfortably off either foot and with his head. His workrate is phenomenal, and he looks very brave. He may not be the most polished technically but he is quick, powerful, gets in the right positions and doesn't give defenders any rest. A big upgrade on what we have IMHO.

• Like 3

I watched a lot of championship football last season and quite a bit of Brentford, Watkins has been excellent for them, have been way more impressed with him as a centre-forward than I have with Mitrovic playing in the same division, he's much better all round player than the likes of Hogan, Gestede and Adams.

One negative though is that people talk about him playing wide, but from what I've read from Brentford fans he was very inconsistent in that position, it's only since converting to being the main striker that his form has been transformed, I'm not sure he'd be the best wide option in the premier league.

My other concern is I can't see us spending £18m on Watkins and then going and spending another £30m or so that it would take to bring in a more proven striker, so we'll just have to hope he can make the step up. Even if one of Weslely or Samatta leaves having spent £18m on Watkins I don't think we'd then go and spend big on another striker, would probably be someone in the ten to twenty million range.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, useless said:

spending another £30m or so that it would take to bring in a more proven striker

I think people are going to be disappointed if they think we'll be signing any £30m pound players. The only way that might happen is if we sell Jack. £30m players expect £100K a week (or higher) salaries. 

Watkins is exactly the type of level that we are shopping in. 

• Haha 1

I really wish we would go all out for a striker proven effective at the highest level, like when we signed Bent. I’m not sure who that would be tbf but striker is one position we really can’t jus take a punt on again, and this guy is completely unproven, isn’t that young and has had one decent season in the Championship. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think people are going to be disappointed if they think we'll be signing any £30m pound players. The only way that might happen is if we sell Jack. £30m players expect £100K a week (or higher) salaries. 

Watkins is exactly the type of level that we are shopping in. 

We will be dropping 30m plus on signings 2 or 3 times this window I expect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It's his boyhood club.

As long as there is an possibility for him to fight for his place he wouldn't want to leave.

He has slid down the places, so there would be a possibility that he might leave because of that. And I feel we would have as good a chance of signing him as any.

Didn't have the best of times stats wise after the restart. 4 goals and no assists in the 13 games including the play off.

But then again I didn't watch a single one of his games so it's just empty stats.

Â