Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

12 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Younger by less than a year, plays in a weaker league and also the fee being quoted is apparently 40m.

Edit: actually scratch that, for some reason I thought he was born in 96.

Watkins is 24 , Edouard is 22

Just seen the edit

Eduord has played in Europe as well, so there is that experience that Watkins doesn't have.

Edited by AVFCforever1991
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Nah. I give a realistic picture of his time in a Villa shirt when people blow smoke up his arse and pretend he's worth the money we paid, when he quite clearly isn't. When people of other clubs talk about awful strikers signed last transfer window or awful purchases in general, Wes always pops up. For a reason. They’ve seen him play. 

When someone then uses the signing of Wes to argue we should buy another striker for £ 20 million +, that's when I just don't agree or follow. In retrospect you can be assured everyone at the club knows it was poor business. Probably one of the reasons Jesus got replaced as well. 

Nothing to do with hatred. 

Surely you can see you're not exactly being neutral on this issue though right? You're clearly allowing a dislike of Wesley to skew your opinion on everything. I mean we've paid a lot, but the guy is young, in a foreign league and has only played for us for 6 months - in which time he has proven to be a better player than any other striker I can remember us signing since Carew...maybe Bent but he was only useful for 1 season before eating up wages 

I mean, if he was being brought in SOLEY for 6 months of football, then sure, I'd agree he would be our worse value for money signing since McCormack, but he has several years left at the club and was clearly improving as the season went on, not only that, but his numbers are better than the other "comparable" strikers brought in last summer, aren't his numbers actually comparable to Benteke in his first 6 months as well? 

I'll hold my hand up and agree with you in 4 years if he hasn't contributed anything, but writing him off now as one of our worst ever purchases just shows a clear bias against him. You can state you don't think he'll improve, but until that prediction is proven right (or wrong) you can't declare him the worst signing ever and call yourself a realist

Just an idea as well, I went onto a Leicester forum a few years ago and found a thread on Jamie Vardy when they signed him in the Championship - it was universally agreed that he tried, but would never have the quality to be first choice for a Championship side, let alone one trying for promotion, useful as a 3rd or 4th choice but better quality would be needed or they'd struggle. Goes to show maybe us fans should give young players new to a league a chance before immediately writing them off? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, weedman said:

Surely you can see you're not exactly being neutral on this issue though right? You're clearly allowing a dislike of Wesley to skew your opinion on everything. I mean we've paid a lot, but the guy is young, in a foreign league and has only played for us for 6 months - in which time he has proven to be a better player than any other striker I can remember us signing since Carew...maybe Bent but he was only useful for 1 season before eating up wages 

I mean, if he was being brought in SOLEY for 6 months of football, then sure, I'd agree he would be our worse value for money signing since McCormack, but he has several years left at the club and was clearly improving as the season went on, not only that, but his numbers are better than the other "comparable" strikers brought in last summer, aren't his numbers actually comparable to Benteke in his first 6 months as well? 

I'll hold my hand up and agree with you in 4 years if he hasn't contributed anything, but writing him off now as one of our worst ever purchases just shows a clear bias against him. You can state you don't think he'll improve, but until that prediction is proven right (or wrong) you can't declare him the worst signing ever and call yourself a realist

Just an idea as well, I went onto a Leicester forum a few years ago and found a thread on Jamie Vardy when they signed him in the Championship - it was universally agreed that he tried, but would never have the quality to be first choice for a Championship side, let alone one trying for promotion, useful as a 3rd or 4th choice but better quality would be needed or they'd struggle. Goes to show maybe us fans should give young players new to a league a chance before immediately writing them off? 

Good post but it’s been said time and time again. The posters mind is made up on him. People are wasting their time trying to convince otherwise.

Theres no going back from a comparison with Bosko Balaban...

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I think Watkins would be a fine backup for Wesley in the championship.

But next season Wesley is our backup in the premier league, we need a starter. That aint Ollie.

26 goals in the league - 'fine as backup'. 😕

I don't normally write players off. I haven't with Wes either. There's a small chance he can develop drastically and become decent, so I don't see the point in selling him unless we recouped our money. Ideally we can just loan him out to the championship, but we aren't quite there yet. 

I have no agendas or feeling towards him in any way other than an opinion of his usefulness to avfc based on his performances. I'd say I'm as neutral as it gets on this.

Other than that, if he develops it's great. If he starts performing, great.

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good post but it’s been said time and time again. The posters mind is made up on him. People are wasting their time trying to convince otherwise.

Theres no going back from a comparison with Bosko Balaban...

I'd appreciate it if you can stop putting words into my mouth. 

Your infantile trolling gifs are noted as well. Talk the case if you want to, or don't, but avoid that crap. Wasn't funny when Aaron Schwartz was alive and isn't a better contribution now. 

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

26 goals in the league - 'fine as backup'. 😕

Its the Championship tho. I mean if we want a proven striker at that level than Grabban is more reliable and I wouldnt want him either.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

28 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Your infantile trolling gifs are noted as well.

On a serious note. I think comparing the signing of Wesley in terms of value for money to a player that never even completed 90 minutes for us is pretty ridiculous.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

29 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't normally write players off. I haven't with Wes either. There's a small chance he can develop drastically and become decent, so I don't see the point in selling him unless we recouped our money. Ideally we can just loan him out to the championship, but we aren't quite there yet. 

I have no agendas or feeling towards him in any way other than an opinion of his usefulness to avfc based on his performances. I'd say I'm as neutral as it gets on this.

Other than that, if he develops it's great. If he starts performing, great.

You definitely arent neutral on Wes.  You are swaying way more to the negative than most and I quote 

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

And that was madness and has shown itself to be some of the worst business this club has ever conducted, along with the likes of Bosko Balaban

I know I'm slightly more to the positive than neutral on Wes but your comments are definitely not the middle ground from the reaction on him or the view of his performances, you are way left.....keep going left and you are still a bit further..

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Younger by less than a year, plays in a weaker league and also the fee being quoted is apparently 40m.

Edit: actually scratch that, for some reason I thought he was born in 96.

Only 30 million aparently

Â