Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

As much as I acknowledge he has had a great season 18 mil? ....a little to much risk for me . If all we have is the reported 100 mil.

Ypu need to get with the times mate. 18m is mot that much these days for a striker.

When joelinton went for 40m and wes 22m 18m is not bad at all!

• Like 1

We need 4 players to threaten the first team - CF, Winger (or 2?), CM, and maybe a defensive position (I'm not an expert and think we're OK here, but others don't).
We probably have a budget of £80m-£100m for these positions.

Deano knows this guy, and he can play anywhere across the front 3. For £18m, if Deano thinks he fits the bill, he will do for me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Not for £18m I don’t think I’m afraid.

I'd get one on a season long loan tbh. Yes we didn't get Tammy full time but he still gave us a fantastic season in which we achieved the season target and was our best forward since Benteke.

Pretty sure Wolves got Raul Jimenez originally from Benfica on a years loan. If he hadn't done much they could've just sent him back. It's probably something we should've done with Wesley but I doubt Brugge would've agreed to that.

Getting that striker right is a very difficult task as we've seen since 2010. We've wasted countless millions on even proven strikers who have flopped so I'd rather get one in on loan and make sure we have an option to buy on the deal.

Will be more loan deals happening because of covid I'm sure.

I think he's another one that we'd have to hope and pray could make it at the top level and may well have to give him time to bed in, like nearly all of last summer's signings. Have we learnt nothing? I will say that i'm not bowled over by pretty much anyone we've been linked with so far, but i would prefer this guy to most of them. He'd certainly be my pick of the Brentford lot.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

This lad is a cracker by the way, made for the Premier League. Have been watching him since his Exeter days, would be a fantastic signing in my opinion.

Andy has spoken. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd get one on a season long loan tbh. Yes we didn't get Tammy full time but he still gave us a fantastic season in which we achieved the season target and was our best forward since Benteke.

Pretty sure Wolves got Raul Jimenez originally from Benfica on a years loan. If he hadn't done much they could've just sent him back. It's probably something we should've done with Wesley but I doubt Brugge would've agreed to that.

Getting that striker right is a very difficult task as we've seen since 2010. We've wasted countless millions on even proven strikers who have flopped so I'd rather get one in on loan and make sure we have an option to buy on the deal.

Will be more loan deals happening because of covid I'm sure.

I can’t see what’s in it for Brentford with a loan, they’d want money to reinvest. If he flops or gets a long term injury they’d be left high and dry. I can see the advantage for us but I doubt Brentford  would agree to a loan. The player might not be over impressed by our lack of commitment to him either. 

8 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I can’t see what’s in it for Brentford with a loan, they’d want money to reinvest. If he flops or gets a long term injury they’d be left high and dry. I can see the advantage for us but I doubt Brentford  would agree to a loan. The player might not be over impressed by our lack of commitment to him either. 

No I meant sign Watkins for 18m AND sign a good quality international striker on season long loan e.g. Rondon, Kevin Gamiero, Volland etc.

Plenty of better premier league teams than us do it so I don't understand why it's some impossible thing we can't attempt.

Then we have international striker as number one striker, Watkins out wide or moved upfront when first choice is injured and Samatta and Wes when he's back warming the bench and getting ten minutes and playing v Crewe in the league cup. And Davis out on loan hopefully scoring some goals.

That's how you improve and move towards the giddy heights of mid table rather than just gambling all the time on key positions.

Put it this way Southampton would've been relegated this season if they'd had Che Adams as number one striker. But they had Ings so Adams flopping a bit didn't really matter much and in any case Adams started to look a bit better at the end of the season.

22 goals for SHA in 18/19.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 3

£18m is the going rate and if we do not pay it someone else will. It would make a lot of sense, if we were bringing in the B part of the BMW as well.

Can we get this moving now? If we want the player, we know the price he's available for so let's just pay it and move on to get another new signing done.    

It's a good fee I guess, but I'm not sold on this. Just not sure he's the quality required. In fact this is kinda like signing another average bloke, bit like Samatta. Might give us an extra body, but that's about it. 

He just can't be the only striker we go for or we are in trouble again. 

I'd have an easier time with this if we sold Samatta. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think Watkins looks to be a better player than Samatta...he just has much more to his game.

Exactly. And i reckon he would be consistently better on the left than trez is

From watching his Youtube clips he seem's to be a poacher, a lot of the chances he got for Brentford were from opportunities we wouldn't have created last season. We really need to improve the wingers and midfield if we sign Watkins.

That being said I was really impressed with his hold up play last night so there is more to his game.

Watkins looks pretty lively and gets into good goalscoring positions in that youtube video, so I wouldn't be against this signing. I think he could become a good player for us if we sign.

I would still be looking for another forward as well though, as with uncertainty over Wesley's recovery from a serious injury and Samatta struggling to make an impact I feel we are still light on forward options. It was a mistake to go into last season with a shortage of options up front, I hope we don't make the same mistake again this year.

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

From watching his Youtube clips he seem's to be a poacher, a lot of the chances he got for Brentford were from opportunities we wouldn't have created last season. We really need to improve the wingers and midfield if we sign Watkins.

That being said I was really impressed with his hold up play last night so there is more to his game.

I would argue that we have created chances since the restart but samatta and davis are such terrible finishers.  I also dont think they are poachers so postioning is also pretty shocking. How many times woukd a good cross come through and samatta or davis no where near?

• Like 1

Â