Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

Easy!

OK, so statistically, goalwise they are similar according to this above, but there are other differences. They are definitely completely different types of players for a start. I'm not that interested, but if you want to be such a d*ck about it, were their contract situations comparable? I don't know if my mind can take all the context!

Also, did they really buy Maupay for £10million less? Plenty of reports put his price at £20million. Might that be £16million plus add ons? If we have agreed a fee for Watkins, is it £23million plus add ons or what? Do we really ever know? Do you pick the worst possible figures and just go with that?

Having said all that, Maupay would have been good for us.

I won't bother answering as you are clearly far too confused 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, avfcDJ said:

Supply and demand.

But it was the same last season ? We needed a forward and had to then wait till January as we wouldn't pay the money. 

Maybe suso said no as I'm sure I recall Deano saying he wanted him ? 

As said earlier, I cant see us paying more than 16 to 20 up front for Watkins.

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Brentford should be our number 1 destination for sending up and coming players out to.

We stopped doing loans a few of years ago, I think we got fed up with developing other clubs players without any reward, we scrapped our academy and went for a "B" team model picking up youngsters under the radar, that seems to work better for us, we do loan out though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, jonjon said:

We stopped doing loans a few of years ago, I think we got fed up with developing other clubs players without any reward, we scrapped our academy and went for a "B" team model picking up youngsters under the radar, that seems to work better for us, we do loan out though.

Sweet deal, its an amazing club, hope you get promoted this year,it would be an amazing achievement. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jonjon said:

JonJon, I think with the model you are working to, its perfect for you. Such a well run club from top to bottom and the envy of clubs of a bigger stature. I also think it's only a matter of time before you get promoted which I will be glad to see. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Think it’s a done deal good for both clubs rather he had stayed but that’s what happens every F***** year at Brentford 🙁Glad he is going to Villa.

Don't Worry...

I think with the conveyor belt formula you have for signing players, another one will come along just as good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

I think that is something for us to look at in the future....but we have to be careful that we don't inhibit the academy players.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, joshharris12 said:

It’s happening 

Based on your previous track record I expect him to sign for Palace in the morning

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

Hogan? Gestede? (Arguably) Kodjia? There’s just any number of championship players who smash in 20+ goals but just aren’t good enough for the PL.

I will definitely and hopefully eat my words, and will obviously support the dude but my gut feeling is this will be a massive flop. 

• Scott Hogan had 1 good season in 2016/17 with 14 goals.......we paidc £10 mill
  • Rudy Gestede had one good season in 2016/17 with 22 goals......we paid £6 mill
  • Jonathan Kodjia had a couple of seasons where he scored 20 goals 2015/16 & 19 goals 2016/17....this season he has scored 7 in 9 games.....not a total miss, just bad injury record.....we paid c£11 mill

Not exactly mind blowing fee's was they?......but we are spending a bit more now, hopefully for a reason.

No one can be sure of anything in football, But Ollie has got in to double figures in his last 5 seasons, culminating with 26 in his last one.

I am not arguing with you, you could be right.....but the signs are the boy knows where the net is and on a consistent basis....and moreover his goal scoring record has been fairly progressive, indicating incremental  improvement.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Looking at the transfer market and it seems as quiet as January when it comes to signing strikers or forwards. Same clubs as January are still looking and cant seem to find one available

I think it's partly because we're not looking for a Moneyball gamble, but mostly trying to restrict our signings to quality players with experience of English football. That always drives the price up, and leaves you fishing from a much smaller pool.

I think we'll get a few transfers over the line, and they'll be much more impressive than the business we did in January. We're a more attractive option for a new player now than we were in January.

Â