Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

On 02/09/2020 at 18:35, Sulberto21 said:

FWIW I'd like us to sign Watkins. But £28m is too high a price. However, £28m for Watkins or £20m for Wilson. Watkins everyday of the week. 

Hmmmm

Tammy scores something similar with us and Chelsea want north of £40 mill......and It seems Covid has not reduced transfer fee's.

I think the answer lies in the appraisal.......If he is good enough, then the coaches need to put their balls on the line.....Pay it......if the judgment is correct his value will grow.

If the coaches have firm doubts,then, don't pay it and look elsewhere.

it really is down to that.

ps Mings was too expensive too, but you wouldn't get him for £25 mill now.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

That is true....but the downside is, clubs like Brentford then want top dollar for their developed players ( nothing wrong with that from their point of view),players, we could have developed through the loan system......blimey, we could have loaned him to a club like Brentford.

We will keep paying through the nose unless we takes a few gambles of our own.

In the ideal world, Keinan Davis should be loaned out, to help him develop his game and sharpness.

I agree with the basis of your last two posts TRO. However that’s looking back over our recent and not so recent past. We would all like to think that the recent changes to the back room staff, including recruitment, have been put in place to address this problem. It won’t be instant but going forward it is very encouraging.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Knutserov13 said:

Just look at him play and you'll see the extreme difference from Gestede for exampel. Gestede could head the ball and not much more else... Watkins works extremly hard, never misses a game, 26 goals from open play last year, has pace, can do a job on the wing. But, most of all he will be extremly important in the defensive work. He will be great at starting the press from upfront and will do that job for 90 mins. Theres more to a strikers game than score goals in modern football.

I'd say Watkins is the most important signing we could do this summer. If it cost 28 m£  with addons then so be it. I dont think we could sign at striker from Europe with all of Watkins upsides for the same amount and is willing o come to us.

your convincing me, with just that, workrate and pace......we know there is more to being a good player than that.....but we lack that, in some players we have now.

a good season with us and he will be worth £40 mill

I would say £50mill for the pair.....it may take conkers in terms of risk, but you have to be intrepid to improve.

Edited by TRO

12 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree with the basis of your last two posts TRO. However that’s looking back over our recent and not so recent past. We would all like to think that the recent changes to the back room staff, including recruitment, have been put in place to address this problem. It won’t be instant but going forward it is very encouraging.  

Yeah, I agree with that Dave....I was talking about the recent past and not necessarily the present staff.

I too am hoping the club have woken the recruitment beast and prosper, moving forward.....the signs are good, judging by the intensity and determination of the academy signings.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, dappadan said:

Now following Matty Cash on Instagram 👀

He also liked the picture of Cashy’s announcement. 

Wait, is this thread gonna turn into another Rashica thread? 

Edited by hong0311

1 minute ago, Exeter Fan said:

Word going around on our forum that a fee has now been agreed (24m + 3m in add ons) - Anyone ITK that is able to confirm?

Would be ideal for us - Although it was commonly believed we had a 20% share of any profits Brentford make from Ollie, minus the £1.8m, the rumour of a 15% sell on fee circled around the same time as the false £18m buyout clause. But it still means a nice windfall coming our way so hope you do manage to snatch him up.. Might just help us through these difficult times :) 

FWIW, Ollie is a proper chap and won't let you down. He'll be worth double that in a few years.

15% £3,330,000
20% £4,440,000

That’s great news for you and deserve every penny although I expect it will be spread over a couple of seasons.

Â