Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I do worry if we are spending £27m or whatever and netting our goal hopes on a guy who has 1 albeit successful season (in the Championship) playing as striker.

Who knows his trajectory might be heading straight up and continue to do so but it scares me if he's brought in as our #1 striker and for that kind of money.

Much rather go for the 2.5 years younger out and out striker Edouard who is also playing in a poor league but who has come through the excellent PSG academy and is the starting striker in the French U-21 team.

Getting both would be fantastic but that won't happen and if I have to chose then it's an easy choice for me. Then again Edouard might not even want to move here.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I have absolutely no problem with buying english players. Less time to settle and the links so far are to up and coming options. This is more going for Milner and Young than it is Reo Coker, etc. And the price inflation is so hard to keep track of in terms of relative value these days. Cash's fee doesn't seem exorbitant. Watkins for 24 feels high, but compare that with gambling abroad for 5mil less and it could be all the difference. The ideal is a blend, but I like having a solid UK core to build a base around. 

I agree, it's sound business and helps cohesion - just cannot get irked by the idea that there is some other option from abroad who costs £5 mil less and it's a binary choice between them and Watkins. We've been scarred by some dodgy financial decisions over the years (Habib Beye anyone?) but we're in very good hands now, these fees and the associated risk are in balance for once.  

24 minutes ago, Exeter Fan said:

You won't need another striker when Watkins is getting 15+ a season for you, and he will. I remember Brentford fans acting exactly like a lot of your fans are - Very skeptical. In a years time you'll be laughing and he will have doubled his value.

What is making you so sure of him signing for Villa?

Other clubs are interested

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, Exeter Fan said:

This was his first season up front. He used to play out wide, and was still scoring and assisting massively, each year scoring more and more despite going up the leagues.

That's what heartens me.....26 in his first season at CF.

If he is an intelligent player and progressive in his attitude......he will only get better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

If he is an intelligent player and progressive in his attitude......he will only get better.

Yes, really want this one done quickly. The thought of ending up with Wilson instead (not as well) is depressing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Which he does, watched him in both the play off semi games and his workrate was honestly the most impressive thing in those games.

Not that I think that is all he has, he has the quality, particularly aerially and within the penalty box

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

i feel like im going mental - do you lot have shares in the club? Maybe im too simple but I just want reallly good players to play for Aston Villa to make it enjoyable to watch and see them win games. I dont care if we are paying £20m or £24m or £22m with addons and incentives etc. Its not my money. The club employ accountants and managers and directors of football to worry about all that and i trust they will spend money that they can afford to spend.

I also find it bizarre when people question how hard the people in charge of the club are trying to get players in. Bottom line is that, unlike you and me, the success or failure of the club has a direct impact on their lives, be it their job, reputation, potential for future employment etc so of course they will be doing everything in their power to make the club as successful as it can be. if it was simple as just clicking the buy button in football manager in order to purchase a player im sure they would be delighted, but just maybe the process of buying a player in the modern game is a tad more complex than us lot realise.

Welcome to VillaTalk, Christian.

Edit: actually that makes no sense given your first paragraph does it. That first paragraph is the opposite of what Christian would say. 

Edited by Adam2003

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

Gregory spent a lot of money on older players with no resale value. And in the MON era we bought some good ones. We just need to avoid the high wages of the Sidwells, Beyes and so on (and one other problem was that we needed to have replaced Milner with better than Ireland).

Anyway, the Gregory/MON eras were the two recent eras when we were actually good!

But, yep, MON crippled the club with the finances.

I agree we were good it just meant the investment had to continue to maintain the progress. Unfortunately that’s where we fell short.

2 minutes ago, Exeter Fan said:

Interested in this thread - We're due 15-20% of whatever you pay Brentford, plus I wanted to thank you for your pleasant dealings with us re Ben Chrisene, as you apparently were fair with us, unlike Chelsea when they poached Ampadu from us. Toxic club.

Cool. Welcome mate. Second question if you are able to answer. How do you know about Watkins and how confident?

Ive heard it’s a done deal but the longer it goes on start to get doubts.

5 minutes ago, Exeter Fan said:

Well he's currently meeting your club reps as we speak, so one would assume it's essentially a done deal.

Alright mate, not doubting you but where is this coming from source wise? 

12 minutes ago, Exeter Fan said:

Well he's currently meeting your club reps as we speak, so one would assume it's essentially a done deal.

Hi, welcome to VT.

How do you know he is meeting our reps?, if you don't mind me asking.

Â