Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I think we should report Brentford to the FA if they are demanding £28m for Watkins.

The price "quoted" is nothing to do with either club, it's the so called press that should be taken to task for repeatedly telling porkies, it appears they can't separate fact from fiction, That went in the difficult box.

8 hours ago, jonjon said:

The price "quoted" is nothing to do with either club, it's the so called press that should be taken to task for repeatedly telling porkies, it appears they can't separate fact from fiction, That went in the difficult box.

pure fantasy, but i would love it if we announced the double signing of Watkins & Benrahma.

A man can dream.

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Even in the current market there is no way Brentford will get 28 mil for Watkins. It will probably be 20 million with various bonus going up to 24-25. 

Does Exeter have a sell-on clause for him?

Exeter do indeed have a quite healthy sell on clause. 25% or more I believe.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

pure fantasy, but i would love it if we announced the double signing of Watkins & Benrahma.

A man can dream.

Yeah I’m much more eager for us to sign Benrahma (or a similar player).

Not overly fussed about Watkins, would just like to see an exciting & ambitious move for a talented young striker such as Edouard or an as yet unnamed or unlinked player. 

Still hoping for some surprises and proof that the press and “ITKs” know F all.

2 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Exeter do indeed have a quite healthy sell on clause. 25% or more I believe.

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2017/6/1/15723598/scout-and-about-efl-young-player-of-the-year-ollie-watkins-a-potential-safc-target

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/who-aston-villa-leeds-united-13122479

I think you will find it's 15%, But Just have a look at this from June 2017, you missed the boat then and we nipped in under the radar, it's the same in a lot of other papers that week, just like now journalism hasn't changed he was linked with every club under the sun, nothing has changed in 3 years!!!!

Edited by jonjon
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jonjon said:

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2017/6/1/15723598/scout-and-about-efl-young-player-of-the-year-ollie-watkins-a-potential-safc-target

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/who-aston-villa-leeds-united-13122479

I think you will find it's 15%, But Just have a look at this from June 2017, you missed the boat then and we nipped in under the radar, it's the same in a lot of other papers that week, just like now journalism hasn't changed he was linked with every club under the sun, nothing has changed in 3 years!!!!

my very point in an earlier post of mine....... we have been too slow on the uptake in previous years.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I was told by a family member who regularly chats with club people at Exeter that its more than 15% i posted previously the actual % and tried guessing this time, it is more than 15% though as exeter were looking forward to 4.5 million plus and that was when the fee was meant to be around 18 million. This was at the start of August.

7 hours ago, jonjon said:

Its easy to look at that and think you're right. however, I don't. Coming to Villa then he wouldn't have played as many games for us as he has for you. Obviously he could have broken his way in but over the past 3 years for example our forward line (and we usually play one up top) has been Kodjia/Abraham/Wesley. Given the expectations of the club and the demanding nature of fans he would not have been given the luxury of bedding in that he we get somewhere like Brentford. Now that he's developed we can look to take him if everything falls into place.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spoony said:

Honestly what do people actually see in this lad. He’s had one good season in the Championship. So did Rudy Gestede. 

Just look at him play and you'll see the extreme difference from Gestede for exampel. Gestede could head the ball and not much more else... Watkins works extremly hard, never misses a game, 26 goals from open play last year, has pace, can do a job on the wing. But, most of all he will be extremly important in the defensive work. He will be great at starting the press from upfront and will do that job for 90 mins. Theres more to a strikers game than score goals in modern football.

I'd say Watkins is the most important signing we could do this summer. If it cost 28 m£  with addons then so be it. I dont think we could sign at striker from Europe with all of Watkins upsides for the same amount and is willing o come to us.

• Like 3

Just now, Knutserov13 said:

Watkins works extremly hard, never misses a game, 26 goals from open play last year, has pace, can do a job on the wing. But, most of all he will be extremly important in the defensive work. He will be great at starting the press from upfront and will do that job for 90 mins. Theres more to a strikers game than score goals in modern football.

I'm sold

He's a good player, an effective young striker, and young strikers these days cost a fortune.

I'm afraid, while it may seem a lot of money to us, £25-28m is the minimum we can expect to pay for a talented young striker.

His wages are not going to be astronomical. If we want him, we need to pay the price, simple as that.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I think it's worth it and the market really has increased the values of prospect strikers in general. totally worth a punt and I hope we're in for him.

Same - I just really want to get the signing secured. 

The only way I can see watkins fee being over 20 million is to avoid the sell on clause as much as possible.

15 to 20 million up front and the rest in add ons.

I'm a huge fan of ollie but 25 million plus up front makes no sense bearing in mind we wouldn't pay 16 for maupay last year or 18 for benrahma. 

6 hours ago, peterw said:

Its easy to look at that and think you're right. however, I don't. Coming to Villa then he wouldn't have played as many games for us as he has for you. Obviously he could have broken his way in but over the past 3 years for example our forward line (and we usually play one up top) has been Kodjia/Abraham/Wesley. Given the expectations of the club and the demanding nature of fans he would not have been given the luxury of bedding in that he we get somewhere like Brentford. Now that he's developed we can look to take him if everything falls into place.

That is true....but the downside is, clubs like Brentford then want top dollar for their developed players ( nothing wrong with that from their point of view),players, we could have developed through the loan system......blimey, we could have loaned him to a club like Brentford.

We will keep paying through the nose unless we takes a few gambles of our own.

In the ideal world, Keinan Davis should be loaned out, to help him develop his game and sharpness.

Â