Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, TRO said:
  • Scott Hogan had 1 good season in 2016/17 with 14 goals.......we paidc £10 mill
  • Rudy Gestede had one good season in 2016/17 with 22 goals......we paid £6 mill
  • Jonathan Kodjia had a couple of seasons where he scored 20 goals 2015/16 & 19 goals 2016/17....this season he has scored 7 in 9 games.....not a total miss, just bad injury record.....we paid c£11 mill

Not exactly mind blowing fee's was they?......but we are spending a bit more now, hopefully for a reason.

No one can be sure of anything in football, But Ollie has got in to double figures in his last 5 seasons, culminating with 26 in his last one.

I am not arguing with you, you could be right.....but the signs are the boy knows where the net is and on a consistent basis....and moreover his goal scoring record has been fairly progressive, indicating incremental  improvement.

I don't think you should lump Kodjia with those two. He had a fantastic first season. Second season he wasn't fit. Third season Smith didn't take to him but still scored some important goals. Last season it was inevitable he would be off.  Gestede was just a lump and Hogan was bought on the back of 1 good season not the 3 Watkins has had.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I have zero concerns about Watkins.

Over the next three seasons he'll be an excellent player for us.

Not one concern? That he may not be able to be effective at a reasonable level in the PL? Even if you think he’s great there must be some uncertainty because so many have failed to live up to it when they have stepped up.

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not one concern? That he may not be able to be effective at a reasonable level in the PL? Even if you think he’s great there must be some uncertainty because so many have failed to live up to it when they have stepped up.

None as a player, no.

He gets through too much good work to not be incredibly useful for us.

He could score 0 goals and have a good season. If he struggles early on, he's intelligent enough to figure things out and make it work.

Only thing is obviously the price, but it ain't my money and he's a really good player. I'm worried more about wasting money on bad players than overspending on good ones.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

There has to be doubts he can do it in the prem. That said his goal scoring record makes him worth a shot imo.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think last season showed across the league big money strikers don’t always bang the goals in the first season. Double figures would be a fantastic return.

Yeah, and gone are the days when teams needed a striker to bang in 20 a season.  Certainly not where we're at anyway.

If he's working coherently with the midfield, working hard and creating chances for the likes of Grealish then it's what he's judged on.  Obviously needs to be scoring too but like you say double figures is the benchmark return for a lone striker as long as he's creating chances for teammates.

• Like 1

No matter how many analysis and videos I watch. I just don't get it why people are loving this signing. Can someone explain why they think he is going to be wonderful. What are his attributes are etc. 

He hasn't been prolific in his career until last season.  He clearly isn't a natural finisher. 

He will work hard 100% but my bet would be he scores the same amount of goals as Che Adams this season..4. 

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

No matter how many analysis and videos I watch. I just don't get it why people are loving this signing. Can someone explain why they think he is going to be wonderful. What are his attributes are etc. 

He hasn't been prolific in his career until last season.  He clearly isn't a natural finisher. 

He will work hard 100% but my bet would be he scores the same amount of goals as Che Adams this season..4. 

It's his movement. It'll be harder in the premier League but he's an intelligent player therefore I believe we'll be okay with him. 

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I believe with Watkins in the team our current wingers will increase their output. Watkins is easily a 12-14 goals a season guy in the premier League. He'll get 6/7 assists too.

Apart from last season he has only once got past 10 goals in a season and that was 15 goals in conference 2. Why will be scoring over 10 goals now in the hardest league in the world? 

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

Apart from last season he has only once got past 10 goals in a season and that was 15 goals in conference 2. Why will be scoring over 10 goals now in the hardest league in the world? 

You fail to mention that he was a winger for all those other seasons.

Convenient?

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

The same reason Vardy and Ings are doing it. He is good enough.

Just now, Lord Willard said:

Before last season he played mainly on the wing. Once he moved to centre forward his output increased. 

7 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Before last season he played mainly on the wing. Once he moved to centre forward his output increased. 

I think that’s why talk about playing him on a wing is wide of the mark. We’re signing him based on his success as a striker and will play him as one, imo. 

If we invest heavily in another striker we’d probably look to play them both - though Wesley in a 3-5-2 with Watkins might work really well & could see Wes getting a ton of assists that way over a season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Based on this logic you would have completely missed on Vardy who scored 4 and 16 in his 2 championship seasons. 

Last year people were on here discounting Tammy's 25 goals like the championship is some Sunday league.  Now we are willing to pay £45 million for him.   Turns out if you can hit a quarter century in the championship you can probably do a job in the Prem.  

This is a roll of the dice but clubs of our stature can't attract proven quality, yet.  Ollie ticks all the boxes, athletic, pace, attitude... We get this one right and in the near future we may be able to sell the Villa dream to talent of a higher level. Right now I think Ollie is about the best we can do. So if he signs we need to get behind him and hope for the best. 

• Like 4

Â