Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

25 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Time to walk away from this I reckon. 

Genuine question .... Why?

It appears that we've waited patiently for Brentford to buy Watkins replacement (Ivan Toney), and now I'm guessing we're in final discussions to seal his transfer to us. Why walk away now?

Edit: Watkins was left out of their squad yesterday for the game against Oxford (important because it was their first match in Brentford's brand new stadium), which would indicate that he's going somewhere.

Edited by villabromsgrove

9 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

It appears that we've waited patiently for Brentford to buy Watkins replacement (Ivan Toney), and now I'm guessing we're in final discussions to seal his transfer to us. Why walk away now?

Edit: Watkins was left out of their squad yesterday for the game against Oxford (important because it was their first match in Brentford's brand new stadium), which would indicate that he's going somewhere.

I'd walk away if they are asking £28m to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

28m for a striker who's never played in the top division is too much. If we walk away now, one of two things could happen:

1. Brentford recognise their price is too high, and decide to lower their price closer to the end of the window when it's clear nobody wants to pay that much, Villa get a better price

2. Brentford keep their valuation and Villa decide to sign someone with better value for money 

Sure, Callum Wilson is older and has suffered injuries, but he's not damaged goods imo. He has PL experience and was good enough for the England squad not long ago. If we could get him for around 20m, perhaps made up with add-ons for appearances and goals, I think it's a viable alternative in the short term. I would still prefer Watkins of the two but the price is a big obstacle to that.

Can someone verify that Percy has actually said "Brentford want 28 million for Watkins". I've searched and can only find "Villa Report" stating this while linking to Percy. Following the link to JP's twitter feed does not support Villa Report's claim.

I'm the world's worst on social media, so I would be glad if someone more savvy could check it out. Cheers.

11 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Don't get carried away with all the silly prices quoted for Watkins, they are totally untrue and made up by the lazy press just copying and pasting each others guesswork, only us and Villa know the true price, and that will be kept a secret by all, I am sure that a sensible price can be agreed amicably by both parties, and it will be nowhere near these 

8718C5A1-000C-4F88-A09C-C0B48481EE29.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Exactly. In Watkins and Cash you have two players that will run all day. They’re incredible athletes with an excellent work ethic. 

If Watkins is 28m, so be it. If you’ve scouted him correctly then the extra 5-8m will be worth it. It’s likely to be driven by add ons as well.

Just a question whether they are good enough then? 🤔

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

Can someone verify that Percy has actually said "Brentford want 28 million for Watkins". I've searched and can only find "Villa Report" stating this while linking to Percy. Following the link to JP's twitter feed does not support Villa Report's claim.

I'm the world's worst on social media, so I would be glad if someone more savvy could check it out. Cheers.

It's in one of Percy's paywalled Telegraph stories.

Â