Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

17 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Bit of a weird viewpoint IMO - Rodriguez is arguably a bigger gamble as he will work out to be a lot more expensive when you consider agent's and signing on fee, plus will likely be on 4 times the wages. 

If a signing like that doesn't work out, it can hold back a team massively in the future.

It was more a comment about the comparative cost of UK v European players than anything directly relating to the players themselves.

26 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It was more a comment about the comparative cost of UK v European players than anything directly relating to the players themselves.

Fair enough - but if we're talking cost, then Rodriguez is still the more expensive player when taking all the factors into consideration IMO. 

I'd agree that England is not great for value, though. 

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

You also can't get taken to the cleaners though. Theres a very limited number of clubs that don't have to take any consideration of the concept of 'value' in their signings, and we aren't one of them.

The numbers being touted for Watkins are absurd. Sure, he might return on that fee, but how much you want to bet on him doing it? Especially when we have other positions that need money spent on them as well...

Of course they are, please remember these numbers are not coming direct from either club, they are figures picked out of a hat by click bait sites and ill informed sources living in fantasy land, When/if any deal done it will be by mutual agreement for both clubs, and will remain private, that's how the real world works, not by ill judged guesswork by the press.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

1) You obviously don’t use Twitter 

2) You didn’t want to know when we called out Bruce for his strange tactics and weird formations, plus lack of defenders and players in the wrong positions 🤷‍♂️

1)No I don't use twitter....

2).....and I don't want to resurrect a dead Steve Bruce debate either....but you just didn't get, what I didn't want to know.....I didn't want to know OTT personal attacks on him or any other Villa Manager, whilst in the job......I have declared so many times flawes in his MO all managers have good bits and bad bits ....but many/some accusations,I didn't agree with no....But don't imply that I am wrong to defend him against certain criticisms, its my opinion, just like you have yours.

There is a difference between constructive criticism and destructive criticism......and no I don't use twitter or facebook and don't intend to.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

@jonjon do you think Watkins is still a possibility? Just seems like it may have happened by now...

I think it could well be, but we don't actually know what clubs are genuinely interested in him, due to all the nonsense spouted in the press that makes it hard to separate fact from fiction, It also takes time, these deals don't happen overnight, be patient. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I think it could well be, but we don't actually know what clubs are genuinely interested in him, due to all the nonsense spouted in the press that makes it hard to separate fact from fiction, It also takes time, these deals don't happen overnight, be patient. 

Might it be tomorrow @jonjon

35 minutes ago, thabucks said:

That’s Smith Vs Ancelotti in a nutshell. We aren’t the draw we think we are ( yet )... Foreign players,  if they have a straight choice I reckon more often than not choose to work under Bielsa, Ancelotti than Smith. We just need to be cleverer and remain patient and stick to our plan and we will hopefully get to a position where we are first choice for players. 

James is fine. But he’s a 29-year-old who hasn’t played a match in a year and will be on big wages. I can’t say I’m bemoaning our inability to attract such players at the moment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

1) You obviously don’t use Twitter 

2) You didn’t want to know when we called out Bruce for his strange tactics and weird formations, plus lack of defenders and players in the wrong positions 🤷‍♂️

Oh my God. I swear every time I see TRO quoted on here it's someone bringing up Steve bloody Bruce completely off topic for no reason. 

Get over it mate. Steve Bruce lost the support of everyone by the end, some people got there sooner than others. It's been 2 **** years, move on

On topic I'm amazed anyone would want James over Watkins. Watkins may never become the player that James was, but he's far more likely to get there in the next 10 years than James is to get back there. He's past it and will be earning unbelievable amounts of money. Honestly Real must be in a state of shock someone is actually going to pay for him, they'd give him away on a free to save on the wages 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

Sounds like she's a keeper pal. Not a goalkeeper btw.

Born and bred in Birchfield, comes from a long line of Villa supporters, but emigrated to west London over 60 years ago when I had to convert her to a Bee, so she's a genuine dual supporter, she just hopes Ollie comes to you. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Born and bred in Birchfield, comes from a long line of Villa supporters, but emigrated to west London over 60 years ago when I had to convert her to a Bee, so she's a genuine dual supporter, she just hopes Ollie comes to you. 

Why did she downgrade to London? 😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Lots of clubs fluttering their eyelashes at Watkins now.

We have many advantages and I'd be really disappointed if we missed out on him.

A lot of people are missing the wages point. It’s infuriating.

Rodriguez will be on mind boggling wages. £200k/week possibly more given the size of the drop in club stature. That’s >£10m/year forgetting bonuses, agent fees etc.

Over the course of a 4 year contract that’s £65m + fees (Probably another £5-10m). With hardly any resale.

If it means us building an organic, evolving team that can one day become self sufficient I don’t mind avoiding these deals.

• Like 3

Â