Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

33 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Think you are right.Although looks like we have had to pay more for Toney than expected.But then Watkins and Toney up front is exciting.

Not arrrf

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

If they had won the playoff final they wouldnt be selling anyone. Also it worked out pretty well for them when we gave them 12 million for scott hogan. It's their  business model and, so far, it's been successful 

Yes, it might make them a pretty penny and be successful in the short term but I’m not sure it’s a good business model in the long term. Players will see them as a stepping stone to move to a so called ‘bigger club’

9 minutes ago, villa89 said:

If they had won the playoff final they wouldnt be selling anyone. Also it worked out pretty well for them when we gave them 12 million for scott hogan. 

Just a thought.

I can't work out what gives us such certainty that Watkins will be a success and worth the £20/25m+ many seem to be so keen to spend.

Hogan had scored 21 in 33 for a worse Brentford at the time we signed him for £12m. Out of interest, what do people think Hogan would be worth today in that exact same scenario? Hogan was only 6 months older when we signed him vs Watkins now.

Hogan had also scored 17 in 33 for his previous club. Watkins record at Brentford is 45 in 132.

Not saying Watkins would be a bad buy..but i'm always so nervous about buying players from any club with a rigid 'system'. It's like Defenders that play for Defensive clubs that always become grossly overrated. When you take them out they're average/poor.

Edited by Djemba_Villan
  • Like 1

Watkins is one to hopefully make the step-up, I'd imagine we are trying to sign him and Edouard. 

One thing is for sure I can't see Brentford getting promoted selling their best players every season; last season's play-off final was the closest they are going to get.

Competition will be tougher in the Championship next season, but I digress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep samatta isnt worth 12m. Trez we might get back if we are lucky. Jota no chance. AEG isnt worth 10m either.

I believe AEG cost £6.5m, Jota was around £2m, I think. Trez around £8-9m. Samatta £10m.

If anyone came in for these players (unlikely, I know) I think we’d get more than we paid. 

5 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I believe AEG cost £6.5m, Jota was around £2m, I think. Trez around £8-9m. Samatta £10m.

If anyone came in for these players (unlikely, I know) I think we’d get more than we paid. 

Totally. Arguably Jota’s through ball to Wesley against Everton was worth £2m on its own.

And Trez’s goals in the run in were well worth the money spent.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

AEG was £6.75m and would easily fetch £8-10m in Europe now. Aside from the overarching view of him among villa supporters, the fact is that he got 4 goals and 4 assists in 34 PL games last season, is still only 25 and was actually in the top 20 players in terms of stats for european wingers under 25 across the top leagues. 

Jota cost £4m and would be unlikely to go for that sort of money now as he was peripheral last season. I would see him as a makeweight in a deal with a championship club if we are doing business with them.

Trezeguet I would certainly give one more season as he showed enough and actually arguably kept us up with his goals...

Samatta, we might be inclined to keep him for one more season as he's only just got here but I could certainly envisage a loan with option to buy somewhere like Turkey or France to be honest. 

If we were to sell them all there is definitely 15-20m in that lot if we played to their stats and strong points from the season. 

16 minutes ago, rayk said:

Toney has signed for Brentford apparently, so,Watkins will go somewhere soon.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11748/12057827/ollie-watkins-aston-villa-frustrated-over-talks-brentford-agree-ivan-toney-deal

I can’t see it being Fulham unless we’d already signed Edouard.

But I feel we’re targeting Watkins over Edouard now.

A fee has been agreed, hardly him holding up the shirt :D . 

But yes it is inevitable Watkins is going (somewhere)...

6 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

A fee has been agreed, hardly him holding up the shirt :D . 

But yes it is inevitable Watkins is going (somewhere)...

(Well they’ve managed to do something Celtic didn’t manage with SJM 😂).

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Brentford need to stop bullying Villa and hand him over! 

Well as already pointed out, Brentford held firm over Maupay and Benrahma last summer and we missed out on Maupay. So they can and will do it again.

I don't think we should be paying 25 million for any championship player, but unfortunately the market allows for this and if we don't pay it then Fulham et al will.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Yes, it might make them a pretty penny and be successful in the short term but I’m not sure it’s a good business model in the long term. Players will see them as a stepping stone to move to a so called ‘bigger club’

It's a business model we have had to use out of necessity to increase our overall revenue, and It should have been the end of selling our best players this season, but we messed it up by not being promoted, we have been getting there gradually each year, hopefully by selling and buying again we will soon reach our ultimate goal, fingers crossed!!!

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Wasn't Maupay and Benrahma all the rage last season and we never signed either..

Appeared to be a bit of a distraction smoke screen while we announced other signings out of the blue...

Just a thought if we're doing the same thing again?

Do you have reason to think that is what is happening again or just a gut feeling?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11748/12057827/ollie-watkins-aston-villa-frustrated-over-talks-brentford-agree-ivan-toney-deal

"As things stand, the likely asking price of £25m for Watkins could be too high for the Blades, but is affordable for Villa - if they're prepared to rein in their expectations for new recruits in other positions"

Maybe we don't have as much money as people think?

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

"As things stand, the likely asking price of £25m for Watkins could be too high for the Blades, but is affordable for Villa - if they're prepared to rein in their expectations for new recruits in other positions"

Why, because some mug on Skysports says so?

6 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I wouldn't listen to a word Sky Bet *I mean Sports* say, to be honest. Don't think there's much chance at all they know anything about our budget or our dealings.

Edited by Okonokos

Â