Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I don't disagree with the first 2 points, but that's all hindsight stuff.

I still think we overpaid for his record and no way would Lazio have paid as much. Wasn't it rumoured at the time we purposefully paid more than would have been accepted to ensure he got a work permit?

Not sure mate I hadn't heard that but fair point if true ofc. 

I think considering the circumstances (1st season in a totally different standard and culture and the injury) he's a wait and see to see if we got value or not. 

18 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

Kelechi Iheanacho (age 23) scored 10 goals in 1,314 mins which equates to a goal every 131 mins.

Most of those goals were probably against us.  If we sign him, he's not going to get to play against us, thus removing his goal scoring threat 😁

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Most of those goals were probably against us.  If we sign him, he's not going to get to play against us, thus removing his goal scoring threat 😁

That would be the reservation I'd have with Iheanacho. His best games are always against us 😂

2 hours ago, SeanVilla said:

Just to put things in perspective:

Ollie Watkins (age 24) scored 26 goals in 4,456 mins which equates to a goal every 171 mins.

Kelechi Iheanacho (age 23) scored 10 goals in 1,314 mins which equates to a goal every 131 mins.

Considering Iheanacho is a year younger, and plays in a better league, I think it shows that Watkins should not be our first choice and we should not be giving Brentford anywhere near the £25mill they want. One good goal scoring season doesn't warrant that kind of money and we shouldn't be taking that risk. Yes he's only played 1 year at ST (hence his break out season) but that should only be seen as a negative and makes this move a huge gamble.

And I'm not saying we should go and get Iheanacho, just that there's several better options we should be focusing on first.

They are not exactly the same type of player as ihenacho is more like vardy, while watkins can hold the ball up, run the channels or play central. 

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

They are not exactly the same type of player as ihenacho is more like vardy, while watkins can hold the ball up, run the channels or play central. 

They are completely different players agreed. What I want most though is a goal scorer, and I just don't think Watkins will do that in the Prem. Hoping to be proved wrong, though. 

All this fuss for Watkins is bizarre.  

I wouldn’t mind if it was a marquee signing but all this over a one season (so far) lower level striker is bizarre.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm open minded on Watkins stepping up - nobody knew for certain if Jack would be as good this season - so if those in charge of the squad deem Watkins capable and worth x millions, for me that's enough. Until he flops and then I'll feel all bitter. 

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

I'm open minded on Watkins stepping up - nobody knew for certain if Jack would be as good this season - so if those in charge of the squad deem Watkins capable and worth x millions, for me that's enough. Until he flops and then I'll feel all bitter. 

The logical thing is to sign him AND another striker who's hopefully a bit more experienced at top level. Just signing Watkins as the sole striker won't half put a whole load of pressure on him, have we not learnt anything from last few years when Gestede and Wesley couldn't really step up and replace prolific forwards. I suppose it will at least help him replacing Samatta and Davis.

Personally I'd sign him and play him out wide for the first few games so he can get up to pace with premier league as it dosen't look that likely we'll be getting in a good quality wide player before the season starts.

• Like 2

Â