Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Maupay de ja vu

Shame we didnt think like this when qe blew 12m on samatta and 22m on wesley

None of these players are worth the asking price despite it being 12 months later and they are all worth more.

But our bargain buckets Samadrought Trez El Ghazi and Jota have all rocketed up in value 

Just now, rodders0223 said:

None of these players are worth the asking price despite it being 12 months later and they are all worth more.

But our bargain buckets Samadrought Trez El Ghazi and Jota have all rocketed up in value 

Yep samatta isnt worth 12m. Trez we might get back if we are lucky. Jota no chance. AEG isnt worth 10m either.

8 minutes ago, est1874 said:

If you believe what's written in the press, we value Watkins around £18m. They're asking for £25m.

Do you really think, given the state of the transfer market, that £7m is going to hold Lange/Smith/Purslow/Edens/Sawiris back from signing the other players we need?

Genuine question.

I do.

Our owners are very rich, via their own businesses. They didn’t become rich by overpaying for things and getting frustrated.

We will do whatever is right for the club. We aren’t Man City 8 years ago. We will pay money where there is value to be had. We will walk away from bad deals unlike the Villa of old that very nearly went bust.

I think we will have a value for Watkins, and other players and will make do with options B,C, D etc. If it’s the right thing to do.

Ultimately in football, a bit like house purchasing. You only lose or gain money on your asset when you sell it. Buying Option B with a view to holding on for less time and upgrading to tomorrow’s Option A might sometimes be the best business option.

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If they want 25 and we want to pay 18 I reckon we’ll settle at 21+ a shit loads of addons.

That to me seems a very fair price, gives you a good deal and a good player, and us a very handsome profit on our meager outlay., then we can all move on and start playing football 👍

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If they want 25 and we want to pay 18 I reckon we’ll settle at 21+ a shit loads of addons.

Think you are right.Although looks like we have had to pay more for Toney than expected.But then Watkins and Toney up front is exciting.

1 minute ago, jonjon said:

That to me seems a very fair price, gives you a good deal and a good player, and us a very handsome profit on our meager outlay., then we can all move on and start playing football 👍

deal jim GIF

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Don’t you usually play one up front?

One thing is for certain, it might not be Villa but there is no way on earth that Watkins isn't leaving Brentford this window. Not a chance. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

I do.

Our owners are very rich, via their own businesses. They didn’t become rich by overpaying for things and getting frustrated.

We will do whatever is right for the club. We aren’t Man City 8 years ago. We will pay money where there is value to be had. We will walk away from bad deals unlike the Villa of old that very nearly went bust.

I think we will have a value for Watkins, and other players and will make do with options B,C, D etc. If it’s the right thing to do.

Ultimately in football, a bit like house purchasing. You only lose or gain money on your asset when you sell it. Buying Option B with a view to holding on for less time and upgrading to tomorrow’s Option A might sometimes be the best business option.

Being bullish on valuations with Brentford last season almost cost us our Premier League status.

Last summer we refused to increase our bid of £14m for Benrahma, he's now priced at more than double that.

We also refused to pay £20m for Maupay who went on to score 10 goals and get 3 assists for Brighton. 

I probably don't need to tell you that's more than all of our strikers combined.

Are we really going to make the same mistake again for the sake of a few million?

If we do, more fool us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

We also refused to pay £20m for Maupay who went on to score 10 goals and get 3 assists for Brighton. 

I probably don't need to tell you that's more than all of our strikers combined.

It's still a lot less than I'd be looking for in a striker signing.

22 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Think you are right.Although looks like we have had to pay more for Toney than expected.But then Watkins and Toney up front is exciting.

Watkins and Toney will not be playing in the same side at Brentford. 

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

Just now, Wainy316 said:

It's still a lot less than I'd be looking for in a striker signing.

Sure, but those 10 goals effectively kept a team who scored even less than we did last season in the Premier League.

Add in the 3 assists and he certainly was worth the money paid.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

One thing is for certain, it might not be Villa but there is no way on earth that Watkins isn't leaving Brentford this window. Not a chance. 

I feel sorry for Brentford because they keep having all of their best players poached by other teams. It benefits the buying team but weakens Brentford. 

I’ve only seen Watkins on Football on Quest but he looks to he an excellent goalscorer, virtually all of his goals come in the 6 yard box. I haven’t seen him play live, so I can’t comment on his all round game

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I feel sorry for Brentford because they keep having all of their best players poached by other teams. It benefits the buying team but weakens Brentford. 

If they had won the playoff final they wouldnt be selling anyone. Also it worked out pretty well for them when we gave them 12 million for scott hogan. It's their  business model and, so far, it's been successful 

Edited by villa89

Â