Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

False alarm though, it’s VillaReport and he’s full of shit. Seriously though, sky Sports just churn out the same old rumours and add ‘preparing a bid’ to it... 

Edited by alreadyexists

17 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I'm fully expecting this to be our main striker signing. No way we're going to sign 2 imo. 

Yep. Plus we can also bust out the old "having Wesley back from injury will be like a new signing in itself"

• Like 2

If Watkins signs he will be our only striker signing unless one of Samatta or Wesley leave, and even if one of them does, I highly doubt that we will be spending another £20m plus on a replacement. Watkins can play out wide but we won't be signing him to play there, the reason he's become so wanted is because of his form playing through the middle.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Ollie may be real good, I don't know.

But I hate it that we're going after Championship players again. And especially Brentford's. Blaah...

It doesn't matter where they come from if they'll fit into the squad and improve us. Such a weird view imo. 

I find it strange that there seems to be a consensus about the quality of the championship as a league and the grind that it is, while also people seem to write off players who light up the championship because they "haven't done it yet in the prem".

We have seen multiple clubs over the past few years come up and hold their own after promotion... Wolves, Sheffield, and us (to a lesser extent, but we stayed up nonetheless).  The gap in quality between the top 6 of the championship and the bottom 12 of the premier league has tightened drastically.  If the concern about buying a foreign player is the amount of time needed to acclimate to the English game, buying Watkins seems to remedy that concern.  He knows how Dean wants to play, he fits into the idea of a fluid, interchangeable front 3, is great in hold up play and is an athlete capable of holding his own against Premier League CBs.  Scored 1 in 2 this past season.  

8 minutes ago, useless said:

If Watkins signs he will be our only striker signing unless one of Samatta or Wesley leave, and even if one of them does, I highly doubt that we will be spending another £20m plus on a replacement. Watkins can play out wide but we won't be signing him to play there, the reason he's become so wanted is because of his form playing through the middle.

yep, Watkins, Samatta and Wesley (plus Davies) as strikers for 1 position is more than enough.

Just now, tyklip said:

Would people prefer Watkins over Callum Wilson? 

Same price maybe but if Watkins is £25mill and Wilson is £10mill + Hogan or just £15mill I'd go Wilson everyday of the week. Could enable us to sign someone else and guarantees goals in this league

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't move for any former Brentford players - Imagine the scene as the transfer comitte meets, purslows does the intros:-

"This is Rob Mckenzie, - Talent spotter supreme, who previous clubs include leicester and spurs", "and a big welcome to Johan Lange - who has been instrumental in  sucess at FC Compahagen despite working on a limited budget"  - "welcome, welcome, welcome - so come on guys who are the major targets for us this summer??" 

Mckenzie\Lange  "There a couple of blokes smiffy knows from his time at Brentford " 

• Haha 2

Just now, SeanVilla said:

Same price maybe but if Watkins is £25mill and Wilson is £10mill + Hogan or just £15mill I'd go Wilson everyday of the week. Could enable us to sign someone else and guarantees goals in this league

Worthwhile consideration. To add to the cost-benefit: Wilson would have basically no re-sale value, but Watkins might. Also, would they both demand the same wages? I suspect Wilson would demand a fair bit more.

26 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Ollie may be real good, I don't know.

But I hate it that we're going after Championship players again. And especially Brentford's. Blaah...

I'm kinda in agreement with you. But I do however think it's smart to pick up English players and top level players in the championship will hit the ground running faster than Ali Nazário Beethoven from AS Foreign club.

Â