Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

31 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think it’ll take time for him to adjust to the pace of the Premiership.

there are plenty of players that haven't needed time to adjust i.e. Madison and you could potentially include jack too as he wasn't a regular when we went down before. i'd say the championship players that need a bit of time is at the back because the gulf in class for of prem/champ strikers is huge hence why it took konsa a few games.

the pre-existing relationship with he and smith also would be a massive help. i really think he'll hit the ground running.

If Watkins signs I don'tt think we will be seeing much of him on the wing at all, while he chipped in with goals and assists he wasn't really a standout player when he played in that position for Brentford. It's this season playing through the middle that has earned him his current reputation and that's where I think we wil be primarily using him.

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

there are plenty of players that haven't needed time to adjust i.e. Madison and you could potentially include jack too as he wasn't a regular when we went down before. i'd say the championship players that need a bit of time is at the back because the gulf in class for of prem/champ strikers is huge hence why it took konsa a few games.

the pre-existing relationship with he and smith also would be a massive help. i really think he'll hit the ground running.

I think he’ll struggle against the quality of defenders in the Premiership because they’ll know how to manage him initially and he needs to understand that and develop himself.  He’ll have less chances and will pressure himself to do better with chances that he does get and he’ll thus make more mistakes and he’ll over try, he may lose a bit of confidence if things don’t happen straight away.....I think it’ll take him time.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's kind of funny how VT wouldn't shut up about Maupay every time he breathed next to the goal for Brighton, but is underwhelmed now that we're linked to his former teammate who had an identical goal scoring season, and who Brentford fans say is even better than Maupay.

Quite interesting this.

I can only think it's because Maupay scored against us in both games?

I can't believe there's any people that have watched him a lot that think he's not good enough. It's just the price is a bit eye-watering. Welcome to 2020.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Exactly! If this what we start with it will be the second season under prepared in the striker position.

IMO.

If the team as a whole improve in all positions, I don't see it that way.

For all the hate Wesley gets, we have seen that he is capable of playing well and scoring when the team are playing well.

Samatta looked totally garbage after the restart but before that I saw enough to see potential there.

If Davis stays fit, he only gets better IMO.

Watkins is self explanatory. For all we know he could turn this all upside down and be a goal machine.

So in my view it would still be an incremental improvement.

Better midfield, better wingers, better fullbacks.

Goals can be spread around, with them all providing space for, and assisting each other.

I think this will be a season of solidifying ourselves as midtable etc.

The season after is when I feel we will do the fine tuning with bigger names to push us on.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's kind of funny how VT wouldn't shut up about Maupay every time he breathed next to the goal for Brighton, but is underwhelmed now that we're linked to his former teammate who had an identical goal scoring season, and who Brentford fans say is even better than Maupay.

Spot on. I'm not 100% sure Watkins is our guy, but he's better than Maupay who is a horrible little Representative for Wellingborough.

Just now, PieFacE said:

I agree I think he will get up to speed quicker absolutely. But it only takes one injury and we're shit out of luck..... again.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the same worry for most mid-table teams?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hong0311 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the same worry for most mid-table teams?

Potentially I guess. I think we're in a position to do better tho. Watkins is versatile and can play on the wings as well as a striker, Wesley is coming back from a long term injury so we have no idea in what shape he will come back in. I guess if you feel Samatta and Davis are ample cover in the event that Watkins gets injured is mainly down to interpretation. For me, they aren't, so I'd like us to also sign someone else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Exactly! If this what we start with it will be the second season under prepared in the striker position.

CF is the single most important position for us to improve on. If we spend a lot on one player, that should be a new CF. I'm thinking we should aim higher than a Champ player.

• Like 1

One thing you can't discount is his character and his work rate which will serve him well regardless of the step up in quality. Which is a fry cry from a certain Mr. Hogan. If we get him it means Smith wants him and I'm all for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

One thing you can't discount is his character and his work rate which will serve him well regardless of the step up in quality. Which is a fry cry from a certain Mr. Hogan. If we get him it means Smith wants him and I'm all for it.

I don't think there was anything won't with Hogan's character or work rate, in fact they were top notch. He just wasn't good enough.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

IMO.

If the team as a whole improve in all positions, I don't see it that way.

For all the hate Wesley gets, we have seen that he is capable of playing well and scoring when the team are playing well.

Samatta looked totally garbage after the restart but before that I saw enough to see potential there.

If Davis stays fit, he only gets better IMO.

Watkins is self explanatory. For all we know he could turn this all upside down and be a goal machine.

So in my view it would still be an incremental improvement.

Better midfield, better wingers, better fullbacks.

Goals can be spread around, with them all providing space for, and assisting each other.

I think this will be a season of solidifying ourselves as midtable etc.

The season after is when I feel we will do the fine tuning with bigger names to push us on.

I’m a big fan of Wes as you will see in the Wes thread and think next season could be a really good season for him.  I’m worried about his injury reports and time to get over that but we need him to show what he has for us to move forward.

I really like Watkins but I think it’s a massive risk if we decide he’s our only new striker. I would be delighted if had less pressure, time to adapt and grow into his role in the Premiership and remember he’s only had one season as a striker and now he would be coming up against established world class defenders.....different level.  I think it will take time for him to find his place and not all players can step up.  I would like him if we brought another top notch striker.

Samatta is still unknown, pre lockdown looked liked he had something.  After lockdown he looked lost.  For me it’s too early especially with the circumstances thrown up due to the pandemic.

No surprise on my views on Davis, not a fan but I won’t bore you on that.

For me this is a key role and going into the season with just those four would be a major mistake, we would be at a disadvantage before we even started the season because while it’s better than the start of last season, that was a low bench mark.  

When we look at our team this player should be one of our best players for us to improve this season, currently that doesn’t seem the case, it’s one of our weaker areas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulie said:

I find it strange that there seems to be a consensus about the quality of the championship as a league and the grind that it is, while also people seem to write off players who light up the championship because they "haven't done it yet in the prem".

We have seen multiple clubs over the past few years come up and hold their own after promotion... Wolves, Sheffield, and us (to a lesser extent, but we stayed up nonetheless).  The gap in quality between the top 6 of the championship and the bottom 12 of the premier league has tightened drastically.  If the concern about buying a foreign player is the amount of time needed to acclimate to the English game, buying Watkins seems to remedy that concern.  He knows how Dean wants to play, he fits into the idea of a fluid, interchangeable front 3, is great in hold up play and is an athlete capable of holding his own against Premier League CBs.  Scored 1 in 2 this past season.  

I know what you are getting at, i'm one of the people you're thinking of, i cant speak for anyone else but personally its not because i think the entirety of the championship is trash its more about probabilities. Sure there might be a couple of people good enough for the step up to the prem, some of them might become world class players but its more of a gamble than trying to get someone thats "proven". We had alot of injuries last season and a short preseason so i can understand to some extent that it wasn't an optimal season in that sense but lets be honest, we are pretty shit with some gems hidden here and there. Personally i think we need to add quality not gambles or "one for the future". it would be nice to have a season where we dont have to worry about relegation.. and a gamble might just get us there if it fails.  

Edited by tomaspg
  • Like 1

Im not sure what the problem is...Before we stayed up everyone and their dead giddy aunts knew we needed 2 fit strikers if we stayed up...

Wesley will be crocked for a while and with his kind of injury you just dont come back the same player..it takes time.

Watkins is perfect for the wings or for CF..he is versatile and would be great as a "second" striker

We cannot afford to not hit the ground running this season..and if we dont because of lack of quality in the team..im afraid it all comes down to management and i for one will not be a happy bunny

• Like 1

Everyone is ranting and raving about Watkins. A player that has zero Premier League experience and has had one good season in the Championship. The chances of him immediately hitting the ground running for us against superior defences are slim.

Just look at Bowen - consistently excellent in the Championship, but found the transition to the top flight difficult. He didn't do too bad assist wise, but his usual goal scoring form was non-existent after moving.

Lots seem to have forgot that the Championship is a league where dross like Cameron Jerome regularly scored double figures. I'm not opposed to the signing of Watkins, but he simply cannot be our only forward signing.  We must sign a striker that has played in the league we are in. I would be buying Chris Wood, he scored 14 league goals in 32 league apps last season, an excellent return.

• Like 1

Lots of very valid pros and cons for OW. My biggest concern is his lack of experience in the CF position. Only one full season, albeit a very successful one. Could he be a one hit wonder in that position....it has happened before with other players as their first CF season caught many defences out/surprisd them then they 'worked' the player out in their oh so difficult 2nd season. I would rather be looking at a 'career' CF with consistent scoring return across at least two seasons to improve the chances of them being a consistent goalscorer.

OW definitely has his qualities and as a CF/Striker then looks good.....but solely as a CF, the jury's still out for me.

1 minute ago, Spray said:

Everyone is ranting and raving about Watkins. A player that has zero Premier League experience and has had one good season in the Championship. The chances of him immediately hitting the ground running for us against superior defences are slim.

Just look at Bowen - consistently excellent in the Championship, but found the transition to the top flight difficult. He didn't do too bad assist wise, but his usual goal scoring form was non-existent after moving.

Lots seem to have forgot that the Championship is a league where dross like Cameron Jerome regularly scored double figures. I'm not opposed to the signing of Watkins, but he simply cannot be our only forward signing.  We must sign a striker that has played in the league we are in. I would be buying Chris Wood, he scored 14 league goals in 32 league apps last season, an excellent return.

I think Bowen has adapted pretty well considering he was in a faltering team under David Moyes. He played a big part in them securing safety. 

As for Watkins, how many of us would have been ecstatic if we’d signed Tammy last summer on the back of his championship scoring exploits (and despite a pretty miserable previous loan at Swansea in the Prem)? 

whats the difference with Watkins? He’s proven he’s a goal scorer and learnt his craft with a great attitude and outlook.

i would like a little more experience bringing in striker wise too in order to take a little pressure off Watkins (if we sign him), Wesley and Davis. 

• Like 1

To be honest, I can't think of less risk other than current PL players (which would be hard to obtain for a litany of reasons) than cream of the crop Championship players. They typically make the step up just fine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I think Bowen has adapted pretty well considering he was in a faltering team under David Moyes. He played a big part in them securing safety. 

As for Watkins, how many of us would have been ecstatic if we’d signed Tammy last summer on the back of his championship scoring exploits (and despite a pretty miserable previous loan at Swansea in the Prem)? 

whats the difference with Watkins? He’s proven he’s a goal scorer and learnt his craft with a great attitude and outlook.

i would like a little more experience bringing in striker wise too in order to take a little pressure off Watkins (if we sign him), Wesley and Davis. 

Tammy had at least 2 seasons of excellent goalscroing at Championship level - at the very least had some history as  a CF.

Â