Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I think the best incentive to buy Watkins is that the manager really believes in him, and the player wants to play under the manager again. Works across the front 3, so would get plenty of game time, which could easily translate into 8-12 assists, and maybe even score 12-15 goals in his first top flight season. Gamble worth taking.

7 minutes ago, Spray said:

Everyone is ranting and raving about Watkins. A player that has zero Premier League experience and has had one good season in the Championship. The chances of him immediately hitting the ground running for us against superior defences are slim.

Just look at Bowen - consistently excellent in the Championship, but found the transition to the top flight difficult. He didn't do too bad assist wise, but his usual goal scoring form was non-existent after moving.

Lots seem to have forgot that the Championship is a league where dross like Cameron Jerome regularly scored double figures. I'm not opposed to the signing of Watkins, but he simply cannot be our only forward signing.  We must sign a striker that has played in the league we are in. I would be buying Chris Wood, he scored 14 league goals in 32 league apps last season, an excellent return.

No we really don't have to. What we need to do is improve and not necessarily with PL experience. I agree Watkins alone isn't enough though.

1 minute ago, AvonVillain said:

I think the best incentive to buy Watkins is that the manager really believes in him, and the player wants to play under the manager again. Works across the front 3, so would get plenty of game time, which could easily translate into 8-12 assists, and maybe even score 12-15 goals in his first top flight season. Gamble worth taking.

yep, as a front 3 player with goalscoring potential I fully agree. My only concern would be as our first choice CF.

The DS factor though is huge, as you say, as he will have a better take than us on OW as a CF....

It's a very sensible signing, can play in multiple positions, knows the manager and the manager knows his capabilities, overall it's an astute signing , I reckon he'll adapt impeccably to the Prem.

People are getting too hung up on the fact he's from the championship.

Edited by AVFCforever1991
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Spray said:

Everyone is ranting and raving about Watkins. A player that has zero Premier League experience and has had one good season in the Championship. The chances of him immediately hitting the ground running for us against superior defences are slim.

Just look at Bowen - consistently excellent in the Championship, but found the transition to the top flight difficult. He didn't do too bad assist wise, but his usual goal scoring form was non-existent after moving.

Lots seem to have forgot that the Championship is a league where dross like Cameron Jerome regularly scored double figures. I'm not opposed to the signing of Watkins, but he simply cannot be our only forward signing.  We must sign a striker that has played in the league we are in. I would be buying Chris Wood, he scored 14 league goals in 32 league apps last season, an excellent return.

How do you expect us to sign the best players from clubs who are better than us? The only striker in the PL who would come to us and would improve us is probably Iheanacho, and even then I imagine he'd have better suitors.

31 minutes ago, MCU said:

Some villa fans really disappoint me. Questioning this signing, paying too much, could do better, isn’t proven etc. You wouldn’t be happy if we signed Salah, Messi or Ronaldo. It was only yesterday on twitter I was reading the sheer excitement of Leicester fans after they had been linked with him. Have a bit of faith I say, Watkins would be a fantastic signing for us. 

Leicester have the current Premier League top goal scorer and golden boot winner to fall back on, they ain't worried about a damn thing. "You wouldn’t be happy if we signed Salah, Messi or Ronaldo." I posted about wanting Salah on-loan when Chelsea were binning him off, before he went to Fiorentina, before he got so huge.

Edited by Spray
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

How do you expect us to sign the best players from clubs who are better than us? The only striker in the PL who would come to us and would improve us is probably Iheanacho, and even then I imagine he'd have better suitors.

Burnley, better than Aston Villa? I don't rate Iheanacho, or would want him.

Just now, Spray said:

Burnley, better than Aston Villa? I don't rate Iheanacho, or would want him.

Yes, the Burnley who finished 10th while we stayed up by the skin of our teeth on the last day and were playing in Europe a couple of years ago. 

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

Yes, the Burnley who finished 10th while we stayed up by the skin of our teeth on the last day and were playing in Europe a couple of years ago. 

And how do we get to 10th? We take their best player(s).

What we don't do is gamble on some rookie again.

10 minutes ago, Spray said:

Leicester have the current Premier League top goal scorer and golden boot winner to fall back on, they ain't worried about damn thing. "You wouldn’t be happy if we signed Salah, Messi or Ronaldo." I posted about wanting Salah on-loan when Chelsea were binning him off, before he went to Fiorentina, before he got so huge.

I’m just saying a club of Leicester’s strength and position and they are excited at the thought of Watkins links , and us, narrowly escaping relegation , some don’t think he’s good enough for us. 

4 minutes ago, Spray said:

I suggested Chris Wood.

Wood has done well in a side set up to play to his strengths. Long ball with 2 giants up front, win second balls and play minimal nice football. Is that how you want villa to play?

Â