Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I guess my concern is going into the new season with an injured Wes and Watkins as our only viable strikers and make similar mistakes to last year.
Davis and Samatta need to probably find new clubs and we should bring in someone else. 

17 minutes ago, tyklip said:

Would people prefer Watkins over Callum Wilson? 

yes.

• No sell on value for wilson
  • Wilson's wages would be twice as much
  • Wilson still likely to command a transfer fee of at least 15m...don't see us getting him for the 10m quoted
  • Wilson poor last season
  • Pre existing relationship between watkins + Smith
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

I guess my concern is going into the new season with an injured Wes and Watkins as our only viable strikers and make similar mistakes to last year.
Davis and Samatta need to probably find new clubs and we should bring in someone else. 

Exactly! If this what we start with it will be the second season under prepared in the striker position.

9 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Why? 

If hes good enough it doesn't matter where he played last year!

Personally I don’t think he is good enough to lead the line in the Premier League. I think he is a premier league player but that doesn’t mean I rate him that high to lead our front line for where we want to be.

23 minutes ago, tyklip said:

Would people prefer Watkins over Callum Wilson? 

No to Wilson

Only interested in Watkins if we buy another striker as well.  Not interested if he’s our only inflow.

Edited by nick76

24 minutes ago, ender4 said:

yep, Watkins, Samatta and Wesley (plus Davies) as strikers for 1 position is more than enough.

not a single one of those has proven themselves good enough for this league. 2 are proven to NOT be good enough. we need someone in addition to those.

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I imagine Watkins would get up to speed a lot quicker than Wes. He'd be a massive improvement on Samatta and Davis as he looks to actually get into the box and into goalscoring positions. I don't think we'll be in a similar position to last year if we get him.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I imagine Watkins would get up to speed a lot quicker than Wes

and what do we do until then? 10, 15, 20 games for a junior striker getting up to speed if we are lucky....it’s not where our main striker should be at.

a watkins/wesley partnership excites me. whilst my opinions on samatta aren't at their highest currently, i've not given up on him. think his attitude is right. we need a decent 4th striker though and davis needs to go on loan.

the very real thought of starting next season with watkins, wes, sama, and davis is a little concerning.

Just now, nick76 said:

and what do we do until then? 10, 15, 20 games for a junior striker getting up to speed if we are lucky....it’s not where our main striker should be at.

I think he'd hit the ground running personally. Certainly wouldn't take him 10-20 games.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I imagine Watkins would get up to speed a lot quicker than Wes. He'd be a massive improvement on Samatta and Davis as he looks to actually get into the box and into goalscoring positions. I don't think we'll be in a similar position to last year if we get him.

I agree I think he will get up to speed quicker absolutely. But it only takes one injury and we're shit out of luck..... again.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think he'd hit the ground running personally. Certainly wouldn't take him 10-20 games.

I think it’ll take time for him to adjust to the pace of the Premiership.

Methink that Watkins will do better in the premier league whoever he's with next season than Maupay did last season with Brighton. Whenever I saw Brentford last season, which was quite a few times, he really did look excellent.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

a watkins/wesley partnership excites me. whilst my opinions on samatta aren't at their highest currently, i've not given up on him. think his attitude is right. we need a decent 4th striker though and davis needs to go on loan.

the very real thought of starting next season with watkins, wes, sama, and davis is a little concerning.

I really like the idea of this, especially if we keep Grealish, I think a sort of floating front three of Grealish/Wesley/Watkins could be really good. Just need another CM to compliment McGinn and Douglas Luiz.

It's kind of funny how VT wouldn't shut up about Maupay every time he breathed next to the goal for Brighton, but is underwhelmed now that we're linked to his former teammate who had an identical goal scoring season, and who Brentford fans say is even better than Maupay.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's kind of funny how VT wouldn't shut up about Maupay every time he breathed next to the goal for Brighton, but is underwhelmed now that we're linked to his former teammate who had an identical goal scoring season, and who Brentford fans say is even better than Maupay.

I wasn’t keen on Maupay either but in defence of those people last season we should be looking at the next level up of striker compared to the level we were looking at last season.

• Like 2

I would prefer Watkins and Wilson.

I'm not being greedy, I just feel as though £20 million on Watkins with no PL experience is a risk. It may well pay off, and I believe it will as he's shown himself to be a quality player, but that stretch to the January transfer window can seem much longer when you are waiting for it to sign a replacement player. We learnt that the hard way last season after McGinn and Wesley's injuries.

In Wilson we would have a player who has scored goals at PL level before, along with Watkins and Wesley who both may not come good straight away. He's still only 28 years old and in 2018/19 was valued at £30-40 million scoring 15 goals and assisting 10 goals. Last season Bournemouth were woeful and his form suffered despite bagging 9 goals (more than our 3 strikers combined).

In Watkins we will have a player in a different mould, a striker for the future and a versatile player capable of filling in on the wings, playing alongside a striker up front or playing up front alone.

If we can combine buying Watkins, Wilson and offloading Hogan then it will be some fantastic business.

If we tried to sell either Davies , Samatta or Wesley to a Premier team then I doubt we could give them away. That tells you all you need to know about their prospects for another season in the Premier.... Get rid now .

VLD.

Â