Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Think we should pull out of negotiations myself and if we already haven’t and move on. If he really wanted to join us he would force Brentford’s hand. 
I get Smith wants him but there will come a time when we cannot wait for a Championship player untested in a higher league to make his decision. 

• Like 1

Just now, thabucks said:

Think we should pull out of negotiations myself and if we already haven’t and move on. If he really wanted to join us he would force Brentford’s hand. 
I get Smith wants him but there will come a time when we cannot wait for a Championship player untested in a higher league to make his decision. 

Rainbow Thumbs Down GIF by Mind Pump Media

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, thabucks said:

“A tested Premier League striker”How much will that cost in fee and wages and name me 2 who are available.Buying from abroad also comes with an untested in PL tag as you and almost every club has witnessed.Championship is regarded as one of the toughest in the world and it takes a top player to be highest goal scorer.

5 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

“A tested Premier League striker”How much will that cost in fee and wages and name me 2 who are available.Buying from abroad also comes with an untested in PL tag as you and almost every club has witnessed.Championship is regarded as one of the toughest in the world and it takes a top player to be highest goal scorer.

Tested Premier League striker that can score 15 goals a season would cost north of £50m I would guess and even then it would be one heading towards their last contract. Wages wise be very close to a hundred grand a week I would have thought.

Not something we are capable of doing at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Difficult to see how Watkins could force. Brentford’s  hand, as they already have his replacement in place, and he isn’t even being picked.

6 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Whilst I generally agree with what you're saying there, I have to say that the previous Championship top scorers haven't exactly set the Premier League alight. 

Looking at the last few years, we've had: 

Aleksandar Mitrovic - 11 PL goals

Teemu Pukki - 11 PL goals

Chris Wood - 34 PL goals over 3 seasons.

Andre Gray - 14 PL goals over 3 seasons

Daryl Murphy - 1 PL goal

The previous season Ross McCormack was top scorer, the less said about that the better. 

There's no guarantee that Watkins will score the goals we need in the PL, it's a big step up. That said, I think Watkins has really good potential for improvement. He's at a good age where he can get better and has a great all round game. I really do hope we sign him.

29 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Origi/Batshuayi/Iheanacho spring to mind. Not concerned about the player or league per se it is the amount of time it is taking. I’d move on personally and if things move come back in if necessary. 

Edited by thabucks

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Transfer request ? 

Pretty confident we’ll get this one over line this week, will be interesting to find out when the window is over why it took so long. 

7 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Transfer request ? 

That forces nothing. He could conceivably tell Brentford he will only join us and no one else. But then he would be weakening his position with regards to his potential contract. I think, frustrating though it is, we’re gonna have to simply wait for this one to pan out, or offer what Brentford want.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Transfer request ? 

in olden times - if a player handed in a transfer request it made things less lucrative for the player. Can't remember the last I heard of a player formally handing in a transfer request. 

4 minutes ago, meregreen said:

That forces nothing. He could conceivably tell Brentford he will only join us and no one else. But then he would be weakening his position with regards to his potential contract. I think, frustrating though it is, we’re gonna have to simply wait for this one to pan out, or offer what Brentford want.

Or move on?

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

He might well be as anxious to get this done as we are. I think it's up to the two clubs to agree a deal and the sooner the better. 

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Or move on?

We don’t actually know what’s holding this up. Could be a number of things. Without knowing the reasons, I don’t think fans are best placed to advise on the next move. You’d hope that Purslow, Smith and Lange are acting in Villa’s best interests and will do what needs to be done. 

Â