Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Watkins match fitness going to be way off. Anyone thinking he'll come in and hit the ground running is a bit optimistic.

No it's not, he's not been playing due to him moving on, but he's been training with the squad since the return, he's a super fit athlete who will be ready to go, his fitness will never be in any doubt I can guarantee you.

I'm just going to watch his replacement Ivan Toney play live on Sky now in the League Cup, hope he's as good!!!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'd be a bit more concerned if it was anyone other than spurs for this reason. levy would piss about far more than we've done. sadly though i think watkins would rather sit on spurs' bench than play every week for us such is the difference in stature between the two of us currently

If that was the case and from what I’ve heard from Brentford fans on here certainly isn’t, then I doubt we’d be in for him. I’m not even sure that the basic premise that the stature of Spurs is that high. Yes they’ve been much better run than us during our basket case years, but before that we were at least equal to Spurs. They’ve come close to winning stuff and have qualified for the CL but you could argue that they’re a good business rather than anything special as a football team.

Very Spursy is a phrase other London clubs fan’s use to mock them when they repeatedly fall short. I doubt many players are overly concerned about the club’s balance sheet, provided they get paid. Nobody wants to look back on their career and proudly tell their kids that they earned a lot of money watching Harry Kane play. We’re on the up I don’t think Spurs are. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If that was the case and from what I’ve heard from Brentford fans on here certainly isn’t, then I doubt we’d be in for him. I’m not even sure that the basic premise that the stature of Spurs is that high. Yes they’ve been much better run than us during our basket case years, but before that we were at least equal to Spurs. They’ve come close to winning stuff and have qualified for the CL but you could argue that they’re a good business rather than anything special as a football team.

Very Spursy is a phrase other London clubs fan’s use to mock them when they repeatedly fall short. I doubt many players are overly concerned about the club’s balance sheet, provided they get paid. Nobody wants to look back on their career and proudly tell their kids that they earned a lot of money watching Harry Kane play. We’re on the up I don’t think Spurs are. 

People were laughing at Spurs when Redknapp took over after MON for us but they had DOF in Levy and we let MON make loads of potato signings and the rest is history

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m not even sure that the basic premise that the stature of Spurs is that high. Yes they’ve been much better run than us during our basket case years, but before that we were at least equal to Spurs. They’ve come close to winning stuff and have qualified for the CL but you could argue that they’re a good business rather than anything special as a football team.

Your last sentence here is totally correct but I don’t think it makes your first sentence correct. London draw plus the new stadium plus they being media darlings plus Jose Mourinho (for all he is well past his best) might all turn a player’s head.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

People were laughing at Spurs when Redknapp took over after MON for us but they had DOF in Levy and we let MON make loads of potato signings and the rest is history

Correct Lerner ran the club as a rich man’s play thing and didn’t put in any of the necessary systems and personnel to run the club successfully. He then threw money at it for a few years and let MON do what he wanted. Of course like many rich kids he soon got bored  

Theres a big difference between men who have inherited a big pile of money and businessmen who have made a lot of money. Lerner was the former, we now have the latter and I’ll gloss over what we had in the middle. I’m still not sure what he was but he was neither rich or a good businessman. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Your last sentence here is totally correct but I don’t think it makes your first sentence correct. London draw plus the new stadium plus they being media darlings plus Jose Mourinho (for all he is well past his best) might all turn a player’s head.

I agree that’s a possibility, but looking from the outside in I don’t think Watkins seems like that sort of bloke. I think he’d want to play and be a part of an exciting project rather than a bit part player. I could be wrong. 

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Theres a big difference between men who have inherited a big pile of money and businessmen who have made a lot of money. Lerner was the former, we now have the latter

In Edens we do - Sawiris’ dad was a billionaire as well. I agree with your point though.

Edited by Adam2003

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree that’s a possibility, but looking from the outside in I don’t think Watkins seems like that sort of bloke. I think he’d want to play and be a part of an exciting project rather than a bit part player. I could be wrong. 

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

You are not wrong, he won't be going to Spurs or anywhere as a bench warmer, he will want to be the main man, hopefully with you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Adam2003 said:

In Edens we do - Sawiris’ dad was a billionaire as well.

True but he seems to be involved in businesses where he is taken seriously. Like I say I’m looking in and definitely ITD (in the dark) rather than ITK. 

Â