Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Going OT here

last summer kane was on one leg at the start of the tournament, he was poor and looked nowhere near fit, yet he started, he played, when he did get subbed it was late in the game for attacking midfielders, DCL didn't get a sniff, not even close, if he's not getting a game under those circumstances then he won't ever get a game 

If Southgate calls him up again he's a **** joke, he should be done

Easy to say it with the villa specs on but Bamford genuinely looked like a prize winner in his cap, he was way off the pace 

Totally agree, Bumford should be nowhere near another England squad. DCL was only really picked for his aerial ability for a so-called plan B (i.e. hoofball) and his decent form last 2 years, I think he'll struggle to get back in.

If the World Cup was tomorrow and I didn't have my Villa specs on, I'd take Kane and Tammy as the strikers. But Ollie has always done ok for England when he's played and he has a chance, he just needs to up his form for us because it's been not been good enough this season and in all honesty he was lucky to make the squad this time around IMO (mainly due to lack of other options after Tammy pulled out).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chappy said:

Southgate was asked if he was happy with Ollie’s performance and replied that Ollie would be happy with his goal. Sounded a bit lukewarm to me. Was a strange Interview all round though really, didn’t really lavish praise on anyone. Seemed pretty annoyed that Maguire had been booed so was maybe preoccupied by that.

Who was he annoyed with for conceding the free kick towards the end. Can’t recall the incident but when he spoke about it, I thought they’re in trouble.

2 hours ago, chappy said:

Southgate was asked if he was happy with Ollie’s performance and replied that Ollie would be happy with his goal. Sounded a bit lukewarm to me.

Poor lad needs to sign for Man City to show he's got what it takes. 

2 hours ago, chappy said:

Southgate was asked if he was happy with Ollie’s performance and replied that Ollie would be happy with his goal. Sounded a bit lukewarm to me. Was a strange Interview all round though really, didn’t really lavish praise on anyone. Seemed pretty annoyed that Maguire had been booed so was maybe preoccupied by that.

Thats Southgate. A good man who says baffling stuff sometimes. I think he is underperforming with an amazing group of players, but he isnt going anywhere. 

Delighted for Ollie & Tyrone.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Steero113 said:

He was outstanding against Saints 3 weeks ago. 

I agree to an extent though, it’s his consistency this season that’s fallen off.

He has always been limited, it was apparent in his first season as well.

However, if he makes the most of what he does have, he can be very useful, but he will still always frustrate unfortunately.

• Like 1

When the 4 went off, the game dipped and the urgency died.

Ollie clearly relished, playing with Jack, Jude and Raheem.

He looked more like himself, again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

When the 4 went off, the game dipped and the urgency died.

Ollie clearly relished, playing with Jack, Jude and Raheem.

He looked more like himself, again.

Indeed but goid players adapt with other players. Ita not like we have poor players at the club

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Indeed but goid players adapt with other players. Ita not like we have poor players at the club

We don't have poor players but they are obviously learning to play in Gerrards system atm. Hopefully once they have their heads around it they will start to show their quality. 

Well done Ollie, he's certainly pushed on from when he was at Brentford. England international with 2 goals and one start? 

30 minutes ago, tinker said:

We don't have poor players but they are obviously learning to play in Gerrards system atm. Hopefully once they have their heads around it they will start to show their quality. 

Well done Ollie, he's certainly pushed on from when he was at Brentford. England international with 2 goals and one start? 

The system isn’t great tbh. The sooner we can get back to a 4-2-3-1 with either one or two proper defensive midfielders, the better. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villaglint said:

Really good tonight. The player we know he can be. Hopefully that gives him a good lift in confidence. 

When he plays in a system like England or in a 4 3 3 / 4 2 3 1 like he did at Brentford and last season at Villa. They have wide forwards to operate with. We have creative 10s which is too narrow really

10 hours ago, turvontour said:

Cant do any more than that. After Kane, who else is there to compete with, Calvert Lewin?

It is slim pickings he's got every chance.

If he didn't get the tap in I think reactions would be different. Good touch and lay off for Sterling's goal and build up but that was about it for me. Looked off the pace again and just drifts.

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Ollie seems to play better with two wingers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

It is slim pickings he's got every chance.

If he didn't get the tap in I think reactions would be different. Good touch and lay off for Sterling's goal and build up but that was about it for me. Looked off the pace again and just drifts.

The bulk of Kanes goal return fir England is close range goals, tap ins and penalties. I though he was decent throughout.

9 hours ago, Tom13 said:

He has always been limited, it was apparent in his first season as well.

However, if he makes the most of what he does have, he can be very useful, but he will still always frustrate unfortunately.

That is the thing about strikers, though. They will often frustrate. Their job is to score goals, but they will often need 2/3 chances before they put one in the net. Striker, the most difficult job in football.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chappy said:

Southgate is a dick though, never says what he actually means, has his favourites and is a bit of a rubbish manager. Got lucky with a great group of footballers and threw away any chance of beating Italy by playing negative football. Sooner he's sacked the better for England.

As for Ollie, I'm sure Southgate will have seen enough to convince him he's the best of a bad bunch behind Kane, along with Tammy who offers more direct threat but maybe not as much pressing depending to suit the opposition.

Watkins needed that goal and hopefully will help get him back to where he was last season. Be good to have the old Ollie back 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Thanks 1

tbf to both Watkins and Ings they both have scored at or above their xG this season so far. The problems are we don't create enough chances for them. 

Our expected goals are 31.5 according to Understat and we've scored 41 so we are scoring a lot more than we are expect to. Only Watford, Burnley, Newcastle, Norwich and Everton have a lower xG than us. 

It seems Ramsey, McGinn, Ings and Coutinho are all excellent finishers who are outperforming their xG (significantly in case of Ramsey). 

I think our woes in creating chances is down to the steep learning curve for the system and what it requires from full backs instead of wide forwards. 

I'd dread to see what our stats were like 5 games ago before we scored that glut of goals

• Like 1

Â