Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

40 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Even our new players are talking about the project and several have talked about changes in the summer

Everybody from the club mentions this summer from top to bottom.  They can’t all be misleading us, the new players will have insight of the ambition without knowing details but will know more than us.  Everything points to not a quiet summer at the very minimum but generally points to a big summer.  What that means…who knows.

Don't think it will be quiet but I can't see and wouldn't want to see to much disruption. We need more options in the middle , up front with Ollie , Ings  and Archer seemingly breaking through is not our weakest area.

9 minutes ago, tinker said:

Don't think it will be quiet but I can't see and wouldn't want to see to much disruption. We need more options in the middle , up front with Ollie , Ings  and Archer seemingly breaking through is not our weakest area.

I think after 18 months of strained results, a new manager, new style and philosophy, and the CEO saying it’ll be a big summer, I’d be surprised if it’s not a summer of surgery.  

Whispers of defence and striker changes and we all know that midfield needs some change.  Then whatever happens with fringe players.  

We are a midtable squad which doesn’t seem the ambition of Gerrard, Purslow or the owners so I can’t see anything but a busy summer.  I just go on the words from the club, I know you can’t see it or want it but it’s not the impression the club are giving us and doesn’t matter what we talk about they’ll do what they want.

I’d be surprised though if there wasn’t some form of striker change ie one out and one in, no idea who but we don’t have a striker that fits Gerrard’s style.

Who knows!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We're under instructions not to press in the final 1/3rd of the pitch. The front three are to block passing lanes into midfield and force opposition around our shape.

We have the lowest number of pressures in the final 1/3rd in the league as a result. It's part of our tactics. 

It's not Watkins fault he's doing exactly what he's asked to do

Where does it say that?.....and if that is so, why to the opposition get so much purchase on doing the opposite of what you are professing, in the way of attacking our goal....are we just not very good at blocking their passing lanes?

Where does it say, its part of our tactics? and who said it?

Where does it say, he (Ollie)is doing exactly what he's asked to do?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

Where does it say that?.....and if that is so, why to the opposition get so much purchase on doing the opposite of what you are professing, in the way of attacking our goal....are we just not very good at blocking their passing lanes?

I agree, I don’t know where CVB is getting that from

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think after 18 months of strained results, a new manager, new style and philosophy, and the CEO saying it’ll be a big summer, I’d be surprised if it’s not a summer of surgery.  

Whispers of defence and striker changes and we all know that midfield needs some change.  Then whatever happens with fringe players.  

We are a midtable squad which doesn’t seem the ambition of Gerrard, Purslow or the owners so I can’t see anything but a busy summer.  I just go on the words from the club, I know you can’t see it or want it but it’s not the impression the club are giving us and doesn’t matter what we talk about they’ll do what they want.

I’d be surprised though if there wasn’t some form of striker change ie one out and one in, no idea who but we don’t have a striker that fits Gerrard’s style.

Who knows!

I have been a fan of both Ollie and Danny, but the return of goals, cannot be sustained for a team with upper premier league ambitions.

12 goals between them, is grossly under performing, no matter how we dress it up.

I suspect, there are many of our players -  within the budget -  that could find their places under pressure, after this season concludes.

I think SG will be trying, up until the last game to motivate them, but when the window opens, you could see a change of mood, and an exodus, take place.

He will want players, who do believe, in what he is trying to do.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Still think it would be easier to get Watkins mojo back than it would be to replace him

If he does leave it will be to someone like arsenal or West ham and he will go back to being a 20 goal striker and go the world cup and we'll sit here with someone who is not better 

He would be perfect for Arsenal as they have the 3 behind the CF to chip in with the goals. He loves the 4 2 3 1 formation as he can play his game and isn't relied upon as the main goal scorer like he is at the top of our formation 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Google our tactics, there are videos and articles on how we play. Check FBRef for pressures per 90 in attacking 1/3rd. There's a plethora of information if you go looking

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Damn you Ollie I'm going to have to watch this shit now

Exactly how I feel. No interest in it otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Exactly how I feel. No interest in it otherwise. 

The worst of it is the feeling that there's a lot of people, too many people, who will want him to play shit tonight, not necessarily here which is embarrassing but in my 3 or 4 football WhatsApp etc

Same with mings 

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Google our tactics, there are videos and articles on how we play. Check FBRef for pressures per 90 in attacking 1/3rd. There's a plethora of information if you go looking

I watch the games for myself.

I don't need FBRef who ever they are to tell me how to watch a football game.....after 50 odd years, I think I'm getting the hang of it.

If SG comes out and says, I told Ollie to do exactly what he is doing, I will believe it.......but when he says after a game, some of my players don't believe in what we are trying to do......I believe that too.

We will see in a few moments, how he plays tonight.....off to see it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

The worst of it is the feeling that there's a lot of people, too many people, who will want him to play shit tonight, not necessarily here which is embarrassing but in my 3 or 4 football WhatsApp etc

Same with mings 

Villa fans? I’m assuming not. If so, Why would club fans want their player to play crap for their international team, I don’t see the connection?

Just now, nick76 said:

Villa fans? I’m assuming not. If so, Why would club fans want their player to play crap for their international team, I don’t see the connection?

No not villa, groups full of Leeds, Everton, wolves, Newcastle, baggies, utd, Liverpool fans 

One or two bluenoses but they don't tend to say much of anything if I'm honest, they've lost the will to live 😂

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I watch the games for myself.

I don't need FBRef who ever they are to tell me how to watch a football game.....after 50 odd years, I think I'm getting the hang of it.

If SG comes out and says, I told Ollie to do exactly what he is doing, I will believe it.......but when he says after a game, some of my players don't believe in what we are trying to do......I believe that too.

We will see in a few moments, how he plays tonight.....off to see it.

Hard facts like the number of pressures in final third back up the eyes from watching games and the good analysis of our tactics online. They all align to give the same view on how we play under Gerrard. 

• Haha 1

Â