Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Pretty sure both Halaand and Werner had buyout clauses that's why they cost less than Watkins, and will probably cost twice as much as him in wages.

Yeah Werner has a £52 million buyout. Haalands is £60+ million but here’s a bit about Haalands contract from last year: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2019/12/30/5e0a149f46163f38768b4636.html

In addition to his 20 million euro transfer fee, Haaland will earn over eight million euros a season during the length of his four-and-a-half-year contract. This fee plus his wages will end up costing the club 56 million euros.

However, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport and Tuttosport, his agent Mino Raiola will earn a commission of about 15 million euros for his role in the transfer.

On top of Raiola's fee, Dortmund also paid 10 million euros to Alf-Inge Haaland, Erling's father and former Leeds United and Manchester City player, for his role in the deal.

Manchester United were also in the race for Erling Haaland's signature. However, according to The Guardian, the club pulled out of the negotiations after his agent demanded a significant share of any future transfer of the Norwegian.

In total, the transfer plus salary and commission will cost the German club about 81 million euros.

• Thanks 2

Just now, sne said:

So we are not allowed to buy players with buy out clauses?

Every transfer is subject to circumstances. Contract lenght, clauses and so on. Again these 2 were not mentioned as players we could have gotten but as examples that there are deal out there to be made.

Of course we are. The point is both players went for considerably less than they would on the open market and you were replying to a post that was saying how high fees for strikers are now.

• Confused 1

If you view this deal under the two following assumptions it looks like quite a solid signing:

1. the quality of play in the championship is not far off what is being played outside of the top 6 premier league clubs.  we have seen clubs come up from the championship and immediately be competitive in the mid table of the premier league, and we have seen a number of young players excel in the championship and then immediately slot into a premier league side and perform (Abraham, Mount, Grealish, Reece James, Adam Traore, Maddison)
  2. Following the assumption above - 26 goals scored in the championship (a league congruous to the premier league in both style of play and quality) is arguably just as, if not more, meaningful than 20+ goals scored in any of Europe's top leagues.

Incredibly underwhelming. I am getting sick of us signing players who've had a good Championship season or two. We have been stung a million times in recent years by this type of signing.

I hope I'm wrong but this isnt setting a great precedent.

16 minutes ago, sne said:

A few big IF's in that post.

£33m is about €10m less than Chelsea paid for Werner and almost €15m more than what Dortmund paid for Haaland in January. We could never get those players but on a striclty value for money view it shows what's out there when you are not forced to pay the Championship/PL premium.

It's a eye watering sum for any Championship player.

Both of those players you mentioned were purchased at their buy out clause fee. 

Also Werner's buyout was c.50m Euros so not sure how you worked out the 10m part... You've conveniently used the £33m figure to fit you're argument. If it was £22m instead of £28m I don't think people would be shitting the bed over the fee. 

It's only £33m if he does well in which case he'd be worth a **** tonne more than £33m. 

Strikers are expensive.

Edited by Steero113

11 minutes ago, useless said:

Don't know why people keep quoting '£33m' it will only reach that amount if he hits certain targets and if he does then he will have been more than worth that amount. As it stands the fee is £28m, which is still a lot, but that's around what Leeds were asking for Phillips last year and what Brentford were asking for Benrahma, we didn't pay those prices but half way into the season a lot of people were wishing that we did.

Because you have to consider the incentives as part of the transfer. Sure it may not reach that but it still comes out of the budget initially.

Just now, GENTLEMAN said:

Also with Haaland, it was a release clause, there was said to be 25M in agent fees also. I think Werner was release clause too. I have little doubt that those deals will blow the Ollie Watkins out of the water with agent fees, signing on fees and wages. Everyone pays.

Of course they will, but they are also miles better players than Watkins so value for money still applies. 

A comparable deal would be the €30m or so Lille paid for Jonathan David. 

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Of course they will, but they are also miles better players than Watkins so value for money still applies. 

A comparable deal would be the €30m or so Lille paid for Jonathan David. 

Yeah that sounds about right, I would put the Belgian league and the championship in a similar bracket and they had similar records. 

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Mock me all you want, accuse me of an agenda, tell me I don't know what actually goes on in negotiations.....but for £28m (I'm fine with that) this could have and should have been wrapped up a month ago

What if they asked for £38m a month ago? 

• Like 1

Given he was POTY in the championship, given he has played previously with Smith, he can play across the front line and can score goals I am very happy with this. Maybe a little more than we wanted to pay but it’s someone clearly suited for us and so long as he scores and pushes us up the table, it won’t really matter!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

So we are not allowed to buy players with buy out clauses?

Every transfer is subject to circumstances. Contract lenght, clauses and so on. Again these 2 were not mentioned as players we could have gotten but as examples that there are deal out there to be made.

The point is, those with buy out clauses result in higher agent fee, signing on fee and wages, most probably due to lower transfer fee. So its a false narrative to suggest there is better value because of purely looking at transfer fee. You have to look a transfer as a whole.

We paid the going rate for his performance and potential. I think this kid will be good and bag next season. 

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Anyone know if Werner and Halland had a buy out clause? :D 

They still cost what they cost, just like Watkins.

But we're a long way off being of interest to £60m strikers with release clauses far below that level so it's a nonsensical comparison as we can't shop in that market even if we want to.

• Like 1

Just now, hong0311 said:

Out of the following forwards, where would you rank Ollie?

Raúl Jiménez

Sebastian Haller

Ismaïla Sarr

Moise Kean

Joelinton

Ayoze Pérez

Alex Iwobi

Last. Or strike that. Above Kean and Joelinton. They are absolute crap. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Just now, hong0311 said:

• Raúl Jiménez
  • Sebastian Haller
  • Ismaïla Sarr
  • Moise Kean
  • Joelinton
  • Ayoze Pérez
  • Alex Iwobi

At the bottom. 26 goals looks impressive yes but his finishing is generally poor. 

10 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

£7 million sell on fee to Exeter is pretty massive for them. They must be going nuts 

Quite nice to see really its hard for lower league clubs at the moment, and they deserve it for producing quality from the academy 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, hong0311 said:

• Raúl Jiménez
  • Ismaïla Sarr
  • Ayoze Pérez
  • Moise Kean
  • Ollie Watkins
  • Alex Iwobi
  • Sebastian Haller

• Joelinton

Think that's accurate.

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 1

Â