Premier League 2020-21 thread

Jareth

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Assuming they won't be showing every game live when the season starts, wondering what the best subscription service to get is (using VPN)?

buy a MAG box (c. £60), then find an IPTV subscription...plenty about, no VPN required

but surely they will offer mechanisms to watch games. maybe giving the clubs licenses to show all games, and offering to fans as they did with AVTV for non UK residents

11 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Assuming they won't be showing every game live when the season starts, wondering what the best subscription service to get is (using VPN)?

PM 

6 hours ago, tomav84 said:

buy a MAG box (c. £60), then find an IPTV subscription...plenty about, no VPN required

but surely they will offer mechanisms to watch games. maybe giving the clubs licenses to show all games, and offering to fans as they did with AVTV for non UK residents

Can only speak for us USA supporters, but NBC has made a great effort to show every game live. Might not always be on TV, but for $60 I got the Premier League Matchday Pass (or whatever it was called) and I could stream every match. Going down to $50 this year too

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, robby b said:

Oh dear, I wonder when Villa Park will next have 40,000 or more fans in it. I'd been so looking forward to finally going to a match again and then coronavirus came along. 😢

Until there's a vaccine, I don't think we will see VP at full capacity again. This is the new normal for a while yet I feel

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Can only speak for us USA supporters, but NBC has made a great effort to show every game live. Might not always be on TV, but for $60 I got the Premier League Matchday Pass (or whatever it was called) and I could stream every match. Going down to $50 this year.

I guess that's cheaper than in the UK. I don't have Sky but I have a feeling it might be something like £10 (about $12) for a match (pay per view). So if Sky show twelve Villa matches in a season, for example,  then that's $150 for a year.

Edited by robby b

12 minutes ago, robby b said:

Wow, if you mean $50 for a whole year then what a huge price difference with the UK, where people have to pay about $50 (about £40) every month, I think, to have Sky TV. About $600 a year compared with $50 a year ! 

That's because the Premier league is our 'home' sport. 

I'm sure in the USA they pay $50 a month to watch NFL or similar... and we would pay around £50 a year to get a match-pass to all the Bundesliga games (if there was such an option).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

That's because the Premier league is our 'home' sport. 

I'm sure in the USA they pay $50 a month to watch NFL or similar... and we would pay around £50 a year to get a match-pass to all the Bundesliga games (if there was such an option).

Good point. Or maybe we could pay about $50 a year here in the UK to watch baseball or basketball. I've just edited my post because I was forgetting about pay per view as an alternative, cheaper option, doh !

1 hour ago, robby b said:

Oh dear, I wonder when Villa Park will next have 40,000 or more fans in it. I'd been so looking forward to finally going to a match again and then coronavirus came along. 😢

my prediction is that season ticket holders will be assigned certain games to attend, getting 6 games each to attend with around 10k in the stadium each game. and there will be no away fans until a vaccine is rolled out to the masses. i think home fans are a) easier to police due to larger concourses and b) more likely to comply with one way systems, socially distanced queuing etc in their own stadiums. even 200 away fans would be difficult to police as there would still be the half time scrum at the little beer kiosk. making a blanket rule of no away fans all season puts teams on a level playing field too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

my prediction is that season ticket holders will be assigned certain games to attend, getting 6 games each to attend with around 10k in the stadium each game. and there will be no away fans until a vaccine is rolled out to the masses. i think home fans are a) easier to police due to larger concourses and b) more likely to comply with one way systems, socially distanced queuing etc in their own stadiums. even 200 away fans would be difficult to police as there would still be the half time scrum at the little beer kiosk. making a blanket rule of no away fans all season puts teams on a level playing field too.

Interesting. Not good for me if you mean only season ticket holders allowed, as I've never been one.  : (  But fair enough, it's fair for the season ticket fans from previous seasons to get priority.

If no away fans is one of the things that happen next season, then it will be interesting to see if there ends up being more home wins and less away wins.

Edited by robby b

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Still so pumped that we’re in the PL next year! What an amazing result for the season, one that many of us didn’t expect.

Its still wierd I remember fantasizing about how we were going to stay up throughout that covid break, whod score the goals and create the memories. Then it all actually happened and I sort of shrugged it off now like it was expected. Incredible that everything fell into place for us again. Cant wait for new season now. Hopefully we’ll start really well and be the surprise package.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Its still wierd I remember fantasizing about how we were going to stay up throughout that covid break, whod score the goals and create the memories. Then it all actually happened and I sort of shrugged it off now like it was expected. Incredible that everything fell into place for us again. Cant wait for new season now. Hopefully we’ll start really well and be the surprise package.

I really can’t wait either, and the face were going to make signings to strengthen our PL squad rather than selling better players and trying to build a squad for that championship. 
It’s been over a week now but I still remember a few times every day and it makes me smile. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

DL animation outdated.

Been a long time since he rocked that hair

You're making me think of a lost kid when all the other kids have disappeared and all the old things he used to do he can't do any more. So he starts trying to throw stones at an inanimate tree trying to get a reaction. 

I'm joking by the way. I know we all have the same aims overall. But it's not an animation I believe...it's a still from a podcast. You're right though, that's not good Luiz's haircut. The lesson I learnt was that the Samson story is not true in 100% of cases. 

Edited by Rolta

Good!

Aston Villa are among the clubs leading the fight against proposals to allow five substitutes in Premier League matches next season.

Top-flight clubs will vote tomorrow on whether to extend a temporary rule change which saw the number of substitutions permitted increased by two when football restarted in June.

Villa boss Dean Smith has been an outspoken critic, claiming it favoured the bigger clubs who possess more strength in depth, while Wolves head coach Nuno Espirito Santo has also cautioned against the rule being used next season.

Those who want to extend it include Chelsea, but they will require 14 clubs to vote in favour in order for that to happen.

The initial rule change, which saw the number of players on the bench raised from seven to nine, was brought in by Fifa to guard against the increased risk of injury due to player fatigue.

Any decision on whether to carry it over to next season has been left to individual competitions, with Uefa having already confirmed it will move back to three substitutes for next year’s Champions and Europa Leagues.

Villa were one of just four clubs to vote against increasing the number of substitutes when it was first brought to the table in May. Smith subsequently pointed to the rule change as a factor in defeats to Chelsea and Liverpool.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2020/08/05/aston-villa-battle-against-five-substitutes/

Â