The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

How can you heat up crisps? 

Serious question ive never heard of hot crisps

I ran a pilot test on them a few years back maybe around 2016  ... they were a bit meh and the idea was dropped  , though I believe a small company did come up with their own version and release them a couple of years later  ,

4 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I like lettuce

Funny , enough it's about the only veg I don't mind and will happily put in a sandwich

My local Chinese does this lettuce wrap thing where they serve diced scallops in a sauce wrapped in a lettuce leaf 

thirsty scooby doo GIF

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I ran a pilot test on them a few years back maybe around 2016  ... they were a bit meh and the idea was dropped  , though I believe a small company did come up with their own version and release them a couple of years later  ,

did they not recommend Hula Hoops be heated many moons ago 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

If you don’t think lettuce tastes of anything you have no tastebuds

What does it taste like then? Don’t say lettuce.

edit: the taste has been described as ‘neutral’. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

You are just eating the wrong lettuce at the wrong temperature.

This weird modern obsession that everything has to be heated or chilled. I blame easy access to refrigerants in the 1970’s. Just because you can make something colder, doesn’t mean you have to. I refer to the other classic example, lager at 0.001 degrees above it’s freezing point.

I bloody love lettuce, got a greenhouse full of the stuff, just wander up the garden and grab a handful 1 minute before I want to eat it. As opposed to having an iceberg lettuce grown in Spain that’s sat in the **** fridge for a week and tastes of cold water because you put it in the fridge for a week. 

You’ve said some mad stuff during lockdown, but I think I’ve worked out why.

Crisps in a white sliced loaf sandwich are a basic. You’re basically missing out a whole food group.

Oh, and in the interest of balance, I’ve just slung an M&S prawn mayo in the microwave. To check this all sandwiches should be warm theory. I won’t lie to you, I think I’ve started another pandemic.

Crisps in a sandwich ergh wjat a way to ruin crisps!!

Your last oaragraph doesnt suprise me!

49 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I mean i get heating up a chocolate as that melts and is glorious warm. But crisps? Thats a strange one for me !

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t know how to describe what something tastes like to be honest.  Couldn’t tell you why chicken tastes like either except for “it tastes like chicken”

Lettuce tastes like lettuce. I prefer the milder versions like iceberg or rocket, but some of the others can taste very strong. It’s not necessarily a good thing. But it most definitely has a taste

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Crisps in a sandwich ergh wjat a way to ruin crisps!!

Your last oaragraph doesnt suprise me!

Dem. 

are you....

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f295cb5e2d335ff9c88f4

....having a stroke. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Lettuce tastes like lettuce. I prefer the milder versions like iceberg

It's you, you're encouraging this fetid behaviour. Iceberg Lettuce is hands down the worst form and its sodding everywhere these days, crispy wet tasteless shite

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Right, let’s start with the basics.

Do you know what celery tastes like?

Do you know what a raddish tastes like?

Do you know what pak choi tastes like?

Do you know what spring onions taste like?

Do you know what spinach tastes like?

Do you know what basil tastes like?

It’s all in that sort of ball park. 

Edited by chrisp65
Ipad random word generator

yeah a few years ago i bought a big bag of crisps that were designed to be heated. Was kind of expecting some culinary wizardry to occur. However they tasted exactly like crisps would taste if you heated them up. rubbish. wouldnt recommend.

what i would recommend however is the king of crisp sandwiches - smokey bacon crisps in between two slices of white bread spread with dairylea (other cheese spreads are available)

flippin brill

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

what i would recommend however is the king of crisp sandwiches - smokey bacon crisps in between two slices of white bread spread with dairylea (other cheese spreads are available)

Ooh, that sounds filthy. Will investigate, soonest. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's you, you're encouraging this fetid behaviour. Iceberg Lettuce is hands down the worst form and its sodding everywhere these days, crispy wet tasteless shite

It's not wet unless it's bad.

But to me that's one of the mildest tasting versions so it's interesting that you think it's the worst.

Crispy, good. Wet, bad.

Â