The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'm gonna get me one of those.  So sick of shouting at the kids in their bedrooms to come down for dinner. 

That is exactly why we got it (plus it looks nice). The ladle btw is entirely decorative - it's some rusty 'antique' from a junk shop. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bickster said:

This isn't particularly correct. Just saying... It's derivation is correct but its first usage predates the 1610 usage by some 250 years. Alcohol also not required

Etymology Online

We watched the film "The Professor and the Madman" last night. Despite the fact that it stars Mel Gibson and Sean Penn, it's rather good - all about the writing of the Oxford English Dictionary. Hadn't really thought before what an astoundingly ambitious task it was, in a world before computers. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We watched the film "The Professor and the Madman" last night. Despite the fact that it stars Mel Gibson and Sean Penn, it's rather good - all about the writing of the Oxford English Dictionary. Hadn't really thought before what an astoundingly ambitious task it was, in a world before computers. 

Both Mel Gibson and Sean Penn, in the same movie? Who do you dislike first in that scenario. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Both Mel Gibson and Sean Penn, in the same movie? Who do you dislike first in that scenario. 

Gibson, without a doubt. But he's OK in this film. Basic plot (and it's a true story) is that a massive amount of the research - recording the earliest usages of every word, etc. - was done by a paranoid schizophrenic murderer (Penn) who was banged up in Broadmoor. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Someones been on the strong lager. 

I seriously dislike cold sandwiches. I can only eat them heated. I dont know why but cold sandwiches i just cant stomach them 🤢

• Like 2

I'm surprised that's shocked people.

Warm sandwiches are way better. I was trying to work out the other day if we have enough space in the kitchen to fit a panini grill. The only reason I don't have every sandwich hot is lack of necessary equipment or laziness.

The exception is stuff like egg mayo, but that's a disgrace anyway.

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Warm sandwiches are way better. I was trying to work out the other day if we have enough space in the kitchen to fit a panini grill. The only reason I don't have every sandwich hot is lack of necessary equipment or laziness.

So, what do you take on a picnic? 

14 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Yep i agree sam on that. Cold sandwiches ergh.

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So, what do you take on a picnic? 

A pre heated sandwich from pret a manager ! And fruit 😁

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Yep i agree sam on that. Cold sandwiches ergh.

A pre heated sandwich from pret a manager ! And fruit 😁

Must be a picnic right outside Pret a Manger, then. 

I prefer a nice long hike in the country, stopping to munch a white sliced/corned beef & tomato/Branston pickle sandwich and a packet of plain crisps, myself. Maybe a Snickers. No **** ing fruit, thanks. 

49 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Must be a picnic right outside Pret a Manger, then. 

I prefer a nice long hike in the country, stopping to munch a white sliced/corned beef & tomato/Branston pickle sandwich and a packet of plain crisps, myself. Maybe a Snickers. No **** ing fruit, thanks. 

This is where villatalk needs a sick reaction button! 

We really would not be good on a dinner date round each othees houses! 

Corn beef? Ergh

Cold pickle sandwich? Ergh

Snickers meh

Maybe plain crisps

Mine would be

A hot cheese and bacon sandwich

Wisper

Any crisp with paprika flavour 😍

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Generally the only sandwiches I don’t like contain... you guessed it... lettuce. The absolute ruin of a good sandwich. I mean really why put weeds in with the good stuff.

I agree lettuce and celery the worst greens you can get out of the greens family

• Like 1

Â