The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

A good gravy sandwich is the bisto chicken instant mixed thicker than it should be, southern fried goujons, crusty bread, bit of mustard 

Sounds grand! You might be a genius.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

I can’t believe you’re all talking about putting gravy in a sandwich as if that’s normal and ok. I don’t care if you’re from the north or south, that’s just mental. 

Don't knock it until you've tried it

If you can get it to a gloopy consistency it'll work 

And good thick bread that's capable of holding with it on obviously 

Edited by villa4europe

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

I can’t believe you’re all talking about putting gravy in a sandwich as if that’s normal and ok

You'd mop up gravy with some bread, right? so what's the difference that makes bread and gravy when horizontally such a bad thing?

• Like 2

Now I know what the red names mean. You are all wrong in the head. Gravy don’t touch a sandwich and crisp sandwiches have butter or marge. Thats the only wet that should be touching them bad boys. 

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The only thing I put butter on is toast 

Was at the in laws today, for breakfast the other half's mom put butter on a bread roll before putting Nutella on it

That got saved for the future divorce file 

Well of course she did. So would I. Bread is always buttered, before you even think of adding anything else. As a small child, long before I learned the word 'sandwich', I always used the term 'bread and butter and... (cheese/marmite/jam/whatever)'. The only exception would be dripping. Mmmmm... dripping.... 

You don't need butter if you're then using another wet ingredient 

Tune mayo, jam, Nutella, cheese spread, any sauce - there's your wet, you don't need butter

Marmite ill give you cos I imagine it tears the bread up but I've never eaten a marmite sandwich, only ever on toast 

• Like 1

Had some Weetabix with hot milk but didn't manage to get the bowl in the sink within 6 seconds of finishing so now I'm off to Speedy Hire for an angle grinder and a blow torch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, villa4europe said:

You don't need butter if you're then using another wet ingredient 

Tune mayo, jam, Nutella, cheese spread, any sauce - there's your wet, you don't need butter

Marmite ill give you cos I imagine it tears the bread up but I've never eaten a marmite sandwich, only ever on toast 

Nope Marmite is fine without butter.  The sight of butter in a sandwich turns my stomach as my Mum bless her used to put it on so thickly when she did my packed lunch as a nipper it made me gag.  I can only have butter melted on toast like you.  I hate milk as well because of when we had it at primary school.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well of course she did. So would I. Bread is always buttered, before you even think of adding anything else. As a small child, long before I learned the word 'sandwich', I always used the term 'bread and butter and... (cheese/marmite/jam/whatever)'. The only exception would be dripping. Mmmmm... dripping.... 

Normally agree that butter goes on everything (love butter), but not with Nutella. It creates some form of weird texture that is quite frankly disgusting. To be honest, forget the Nutella and just have butter anyway, much nicer!

The 'dipped' sandwich is huge in some American states - a sandwich which is then dipped into a thin gravy and served hot.

They're so messy to eat they're even a stance used to eat it - lean into the counter, resting on your elbows, so nothing gets on your trousers.

29 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Normally agree that butter goes on everything (love butter), but not with Nutella. It creates some form of weird texture that is quite frankly disgusting. To be honest, forget the Nutella and just have butter anyway, much nicer!

The norm here is cream cheese and nutella and yeah the consistency and texture goes weird, more than anything else it doesn't add anything, it takes some of the flavour away too

Today I had a bread roll with Nutella and strawberries on it, my wife stopped what she was doing turned to me and asked what the **** was going on 

Actually worked a treat

• Haha 1

Â